Ramps

Started by wotugonado, June 14, 2017, 18:39

wotugonado

Following on from another thread about loose engine mounts, I've bought some inserts to stiffen them up. I now need some ramps to get the back end up as I don't fancy doing it off just axle stands.
I'm lowered by about 30 mm,  with stock 16" width rear tyres. My question is will I need ramp extensions or are there any recommended ramps out there that are low/wide enough with out them. I don't want to spend silly money, but I also don't want some no name unknown quantity crap either. Any recommendations ?
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

shnazzle

I got the 22 quid cheap blue ramps off ebay and they're smashing. Don't know how much I'm lowered but it's a fair bit. No extensions needed

EDIT: sorry just realised you said no no-name cheap stuff. Ignore me
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

I just use thick planks to reduce the angle on normal Halfords ones...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wotugonado

Quote from: "shnazzle"I got the 22 quid cheap blue ramps off ebay and they're smashing. Don't know how much I'm lowered but it's a fair bit. No extensions needed

Well I meant more cheap untried ramps, if they've been tried and tested and are reasonably priced I wouldn't be averse to them. Any more clues as to which ones your talking about

wotugonado

Quote from: "jvanzyl"I just use thick planks to reduce the angle on normal Halfords ones...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it, very creative.

jvanzyl

It works  :-) :-) :-)  I find it also means it's less "bumpy" when ascending as descending the ramp... They are only a foot longer than the ramps angled section but it makes a great difference..

wotugonado

How do you stop them moving apart, while driving up and down

shnazzle

Quote from: "wotugonado"
Quote from: "shnazzle"I got the 22 quid cheap blue ramps off ebay and they're smashing. Don't know how much I'm lowered but it's a fair bit. No extensions needed

Well I meant more cheap untried ramps, if they've been tried and tested and are reasonably priced I wouldn't be averse to them. Any more clues as to which ones your talking about
These
  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222336146019 m

I wouldn't want to out a 4x4 on them but a 1 ton mr2... No problem.
...neutiquam erro.

wotugonado

Cheers shnazzle, they look sturdy enough to be fair, I'd be happier with the car on those than axle stands. Under 28 quid delivered bargain.

jvanzyl

Quote from: "wotugonado"How do you stop them moving apart, while driving up and down

Gravity and the weight of the car seem to hold them fine!...

shnazzle

You do need to remember to A) drive up gently and stop when you feel it go onto the flat part and
B) let gravity do the work when driving off or you'll make the ramp shoot back onto your garage door  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

SombreroPeak

I found an old set on Schpock, it's my new go-to place for local bargains.
\'N-chilada\' 2003 Chili Red, Black Leather interior

PhilzMR2

I'm late to the conversation, but I use Rhino Ramps which I got from a UK seller on eBay. Rated at 5 tonnes, but not cheap. I think they're great.

Essex2Visuvesi

I'm still uing the ones I made at school in metalwork when I was about 14.... Im 45 next month
look very similar to the ones that shnazzle linked to

wotugonado

I just got the ones snazzle recommended. Seem solid enough, can't complain at the price.

shnazzle

Helen's is up on the ramps coincidentally. So, some pics.

If you were concerned, you could get a local welder to weld in some cross bars on the box section under the wheel.

Even with wider 225 tyres it's not a problem. They don't fit entirely, but only off by half an inch
...neutiquam erro.

wotugonado

You must of read my mind, I've ordered some 25mm steel angle to bolt where you said. They're rated to be strong enough but a little extra bracing can't hurt.

Tags: