Crank vents for turbo

Started by wotugonado, June 22, 2017, 23:05

wotugonado

After reading through this
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36018 l
I did a little bit of reading on crank ventilation, it's all a little confusing, so can anyone knowledgeable explain what additional vents such as krank vents will do for a turbo'd car   s:? :? s:?
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

spit

The simple answer is "it depends"!

We've seen mixed results with crankvents over the years. Generally speaking, a working stock PCV is plenty functional at preventing boost from entering the crankcase unless you're running at silly levels or dangerously overboosting.

CVs are supposedly a better quality of valve if you wish to keep the crankcase ventilation system in place and are worried about boost upsetting things. The second valve on the open air side also ensures that you get a solid draw from the crankcase under vacuum when the TB is closed - the stock setup is more passive.

I bought a set of CVs several years back - Gaspar's philosophy with the C2 kit was to take the crankcase breather setup out of the system completely and I was always planning to plumb it back in. Never did, so the CVs were passed on without being fitted.

Where CVs have been found useful is when folk have had oil pressure issues and leaky labrynth seals on the turbo..... although they wouldn't be a magic bullet if you have a duff PCV, incorrect oil feed, tired seals or a restriction on the gravity return. I've revisited this recently as I'm starting to seep a bit of oil at the blower. Hardly surprising on 120k of turbo life, but my PCV was gummed up and things have improved a little since giving it a good clean out. Suspecting, also, that I may have a slight intercooler leak which could also screw up the pressure difference that turbo seals need to work effectively.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

wotugonado

Reading up on different opinions some say you can't run without them and others like yourself say it's made no difference. They're quite expensive too if looking at getting them from the usa, so as I'm only tte turbo'd new pcv valve as a first option ?

spit

The TTE was designed to sing happily without modifying the breather circuit. Its up to you, of course, but I'd be inclined to save your pennies.

Is there a particular problem you're trying to resolve? Apologies if I've missed it somewhere.

Gummy PCVs free up nicely with carb cleaner. Its a five minute job and something I'd recommend doing, turbo'd or not.

I guess the differing views about CrankVents stem from the fact that they can help resolve certain issues, but I'd subscribe to finding the cause and fixing that instead. I can also see that some marques running high boost would benefit from having them in the circuit.

I might get around to re-plumbing my breather back in via a catch tank to see how it compares to the open circuit that's been running fine all these years. Then again, I might not!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

wotugonado

No specific problem, I occasionally get a little erratic idling and reading through the pcv thread it could contribute. It's to my knowledge the original part, they recommend treating it as a serviceable part so at £30 I thought why not. Continued reading  led me onto krank vents, hence the original question.
Thanks for the reply btw I'll spend my hard earned pennies on something else.....

Tags: