1ZZ Rebuild?

Started by Cabrioman, June 24, 2017, 14:45

Cabrioman

Hi all.
Looking into buying a early model MR2 which owner says bottom ends gone.
Found rebuild kits on eBay that supply everything i'd need to rebuild the engine for a fraction of the price of a second hand engine i'd need to service anyway.
Just wondered if anyone had any dealings with these kits and any other kit options.
Cheers   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Sun Out - Roof Down
Whatever the Temperature

m1tch

Quote from: "Cabrioman"Hi all.
Looking into buying a early model MR2 which owner says bottom ends gone.
Found rebuild kits on eBay that supply everything i'd need to rebuild the engine for a fraction of the price of a second hand engine i'd need to service anyway.
Just wondered if anyone had any dealings with these kits and any other kit options.
Cheers   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

I have heard that some get away with just replacing the bearings using the kits, you can take out the pistons etc with the engine in the car - can ensure that the pistons are also upgraded although you don't know if its got an oval bore or not - other option is to simply go straight for a 2zz swap  s:) :) s:)

beavisrules

The bearings supplied will (likely) be the wrong size. The 1zz doesn't have a standard size and may even have different sizes within the same block.

You can assume bearing failure is from oil starvation , most likely burns so much that it was run low.
Saying that , it's only a couple of hours work to swap shells to find out if it fixes it.

Carolyn

Sent you a PM.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

carolineasb

Oval bore is an urban myth!
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Tags: