Gasping / Wheezing Noise

Started by w00dhead, June 27, 2017, 10:49

w00dhead

So the old girl is still running and going in for MOT and service tomorrow. Fingers crossed everybody! Everything appears to be fine but we shall see...

One thing that I have noticed (to be fair it is quite noticeable) is a gasping /wheezing noise coming from the car when I set off. Once moving all is fine; it doesn't happen again. Its more noticeable on initial set off having first started up - that is to say if you stop and then start again its happens again but less pronounced

Any ideas...? Thanks in advance

shnazzle

Are you running a stock airbox?
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Sound a bit like the beginning of this clip?
 m https://youtu.be/cGnfwVR4Qcc m
...neutiquam erro.

Tomo70

Check the pipe that goes from the solenoid valve near to  the maf round to the charcoal filter. Had this problem a couple of weeks ago at ding day. I had the engine clean and the guy didnt put the pipe back.
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

w00dhead

Car is all standard. No mods... Just dropping the old girl off now for MOT

w00dhead

Noise is from the front drivers side of the car

w00dhead

No. Not like in that video... Its a gasp rather than a sustained wheezing

shnazzle

From the front? That's new. Can only be air vents then. There's nothing else that pushes any air there
...neutiquam erro.

jonbill

Maybe it's not air related at all - sticky brake caliper?

tricky1138

Driver side front wheezing sound - only thing I can think of is the power steering pump starting up noisily?

Is your steering at full lock starting up / pulling away?
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

shnazzle

Quote from: "jonbill"Maybe it's not air related at all - sticky brake caliper?
It can make an odd noise...
...neutiquam erro.

w00dhead

Quote from: "tricky1138"Driver side front wheezing sound - only thing I can think of is the power steering pump starting up noisily?

Is your steering at full lock starting up / pulling away?

There usually is a fair bit of lock on when I'm manouvering out of parking spot outside the house... Power steering pump sounds like a possibility. If it is the ps pump I assume such a noise is not a good sign?

Still waiting for the call from the garage

w00dhead

So it's passed! No advisories... Remarkable for a '03 with 119k miles on the clock

They couldn't replicate the gasp/wheezing noise so I'm still non the wiser

Topdownman

My car makes a noise when I let the clutch out.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

spuggy

Instagram @spuggy72

Tags: