Tram lining like a mofo :?

Started by ad_car_08, June 27, 2017, 23:08

ad_car_08

as the title suggests, took my '2 out for a drive after checking all the tyre pressures, and found on quite a number of roads, it kept darting from one side of the road to the other, as if it was being pushed by a gust of wind. No wind....outside the car anyway   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I thought it might've been due to old suspension being a bit tired and loosey goosey, but not long fitted some meisters and it's still doing it   s:? :? s:?  

Any ideas??
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Ardent

did you get a ge odone after fitting the meisters

ChrisGB

Also, worn inner edges on the front tyres can cause this on the MR2.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

shnazzle

That's camber. What tyres?
...neutiquam erro.

ad_car_08

Quote from: "Ardent"did you get a ge odone after fitting the meisters

yeah, 4 wheel alignment. MilesH recommended a chap for a full geo setup, but I can't get hold of him and he doesn't reply to my calls or messages   s:( :( s:(
[/size]

MR TWO

Check the tyre pressures first!
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

ad_car_08

Quote from: "shnazzle"That's camber. What tyres?

Bridgestones - not sure what model. They've got very good tread on them, but there are signs of cracks appearing on the side walls and tread blocks. I'm planning to take it to a track (whole reason I bought the car), so I might swap them out for peace of mind

Pretty sure they're not worn on the inside edges. Had the wheels off to fit the meisters only a fortnight ago, and didn't notice any uneven wear
[/size]

ad_car_08

Quote from: "MR TWO"Check the tyre pressures first!

Like i said, checked the tyre pressures before I set out. I find 32psi at the rear and 30 at the front a decent setup
[/size]

Carolyn

30 at the front is hard.  

Toyota spec is 32/26.  As Ardent said, wheel alignment is important.  You need some toe-in at the front.  I run mine a little over Toyota spec, as we have our own alignment gear and I was able to play with it until it behaved properly.  I'm running 1 degree.  I think which tyre you're using has an effect here.

Stagger is massively important.  Pfl spec is 205 rear  185 front.  FL is 215/185, though a lot run 195 and find that just fine.

Mine tram-lined like a sod when I got it.  Stagger was wrong and so was the toe-in (it was toed out).

Cracks on the sidewalls means the tyres are geriatric.  Time to get them swapped.

Track set-up and road set-up are two different matters.  Twitchy in a straight line is no big deal on the track, pain in the bottom on the road.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

ad_car_08

Ahh, I'll double check the alignment print out when I get home, and see what measurement was recorded for toe-in/out - ask for 1 degree on the fronts if necessary.
I think the car came with 215/195 stagger, but again, I'll double check when I'm home
[/size]

beavisrules

Tyres start going hard after about 2 years outside.
Cracked rubber probably means 6+ years old.
Would have bought new tyres long before thinking suspension needed anything.

ad_car_08

Quote from: "beavisrules"Tyres start going hard after about 2 years outside.
Cracked rubber probably means 6+ years old.
Would have bought new tyres long before thinking suspension needed anything.

Worth pointing out Beavis that my car's done almost 125k miles, and is going to be used on track, so it made sense.  Suspension wasn't just changed in an attempt to cure the aforementioned issue, but thought I'd feel a difference
[/size]

MR TWO

On 32R & 28F, my set up is
- Zero toe front & rear
- 1.5deg front camber / 2deg rear camber

Works well for me
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

ad_car_08

So, took it to another garage that work use and told them I've had it aligned but doesn't feel right. Turns out it was still out, and the camber bolts that the 1st garage said weren't needed....were by the second garage!?
They've got it overnight and will be ready to pick up tomorrow. Crossing my fingers for a finished job that solves my wandering!!
[/size]

Treboeth

Quote from: "ad_car_08"So, took it to another garage that work use and told them I've had it aligned but doesn't feel right. Turns out it was still out, and the camber bolts that the 1st garage said weren't needed....were by the second garage!?
They've got it overnight and will be ready to pick up tomorrow. Crossing my fingers for a finished job that solves my wandering!!

Was it solved after the second garage?

ad_car_08

Oh yes!...night and day!!
Still taking it to get fully geo'd, but for now it handles SO much better!!!
[/size]

weeJohn

Worn bushes on the rear arms made our track car wander all over the place, but I would do a 4 wheel alignment first.

Tags: