Which security torx to remove ECU shield?

Started by m1tch, June 28, 2017, 18:18

m1tch

Hi all,

Just in the process of test fitting the Dastek Unichip for the initial 1/4 mile run - plan to do a few runs 100% stock then plug in the Unichip and do another few runs to see the difference.

I have noticed that I can get to the 2 top plugs (white and black) but I need access to the 2 black plugs, one of which I can see is behind a security shield with some security bolts - I am guessing these are T30 security torx bolts (with the pin in the centre)? Can someone confirm this as typically I think thats the only size I don't have after dropping it in the engine bay of my daily drive!

Need to know if its that size to order another to get the 2 bolts out to then get to the plug etc.

Thanks in advance!

shnazzle

They're 5-point security torx bolts. The key being 5. Try a 6 and you'll likely find yourself going at it with a drill or dremel
...neutiquam erro.

Tomo70

Personally i used a flat blade screw drived and a hammer   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

m1tch

Quote from: "shnazzle"They're 5-point security torx bolts. The key being 5. Try a 6 and you'll likely find yourself going at it with a drill or dremel

Awesome, thanks for the info, will check to see what sort my torx bits are, have seen you can put a small flat bladed screwdriver across 2 of the points and turn it - guessing they are standard thread rather than reverse?

shnazzle

Yes indeed. It depends on how tight the bolts are. Mine actually came out quite easily with a 6-point hahaa.
But someone else tried that approach on Stewart@Boro's car and we were left with rounded screws and no option but to drill and dremel.
So, for the sake of the effort of getting the right bit...
...neutiquam erro.

m1tch

Quote from: "shnazzle"Yes indeed. It depends on how tight the bolts are. Mine actually came out quite easily with a 6-point hahaa.
But someone else tried that approach on Stewart@Boro's car and we were left with rounded screws and no option but to drill and dremel.
So, for the sake of the effort of getting the right bit...

Yeah I put a screwdriver in there and thought...hmmm this might not end well lol I only have 6 point security torx so I have ordered a set of 5 points - will probably just replace with standard screws anyway or find an easier way to mount the ECU - the Dastek fitting instructions just show the connectors being unplugged with no mention of the security shield!

shnazzle

I could be wrong but I think I read that it's part of the reason why the mr2 is so hard to steal. The chances of a thief carrying around a spare ecu, with keys AND a 5-point security torx screwdriver is very slim.
...neutiquam erro.

m1tch

Quote from: "shnazzle"I could be wrong but I think I read that it's part of the reason why the mr2 is so hard to steal. The chances of a thief carrying around a spare ecu, with keys AND a 5-point security torx screwdriver is very slim.

At least its not a Toyota specific tool!

Carolyn

There are a couple of other bits that use the five point torx.  The idle air control valve is one.  A set of keys is not expensive, so worth having in you toolkit.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

m1tch

Quote from: "Carolyn"There are a couple of other bits that use the five point torx.  The idle air control valve is one.  A set of keys is not expensive, so worth having in you toolkit.

I figured that the set might come in handy for something else, always useful to have more tools.

Ardent

Vw use 5 points on their mafs

Tags: