My Silver Tincan - Ended :(

Started by rich_p, June 28, 2017, 19:00

rich_p

My second MR2, bought to scratch an itch after getting rid of my MK2 and moving to a Celica T sport (which I still have). I've named it my Tincan as its worlds away from the from the MK2 and even Celica, everything about it just seems built for being lightweight and it's wholly impractical. Perfect as a second car to play with!
It's solver with black leather, I was hoping for something a little fancier with red leather but after seeing a few rotten, worn out tatty examples I decided on this one as it seemed solid and well cared for.

Dealer photos

Turned out it wasn't as solid as I'd thought, despite being aware of sunframe issues and this one appearing to be ok when I checked it failed it's MOT before the dealer realeased it to me. It has subsequently been welded and zinc painted which has bought me a little time before the inevitable replacement.
You may notice it has LED DRL units in place of the fogs, I wouldn't have put them on myself but they're neat enough so they'll stay for now.

So far I've fitted a set of 5000k HID's which I had laying around my garage with accompanying LED's and swapped the standard stereo for a single din with USB/Bluetooth, which again I had just sat in the garage so essentially free mods!
I've also chucked in some OEM mats and newer style gear knob (Avensis I think).
The awful 'twincam' side bages are gone as is the now redundant CD changer I found in the frunk.

AS it stands now,

Bonus screaming chicken logo from a previous owner.

I need to overhaul the brakes, rears especially, and the clutch is ready for a change. I've just fallen victim to a particular group buy on here too.

Other distant plans include a lip Kit, most likely TTE/Toyota GB, perhaps a wheel change, and one day a 2ZZ before keeping it forever.

The Other Stu

Have you checked the fogs aren't dual use?
Hamish on here sells some fogs that double as DRLs.

That needs dropping a little and maybe a little body kit?
No Longer Here

m1tch

Any engine work done to it etc with regards to removing precats?

rich_p

Quote from: "The Other Stu"That needs dropping a little and maybe a little body kit?

Couldn't agree more   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

The DRL things seem to be available on ebay for £10 and up, so nothing as fancy as those in the group buy, just 4 LEDs in the round housing, They're pretty inconspicuous otherwise.

No evidence of the pre-cats being removed but is something I will be looking into doing.

The Other Stu

I'll be absolutely straight, I don't have Hamish's DRLs - I followed Les's guide in the "how to" and did angel eyes for considerably less than half the price.
But I had to do the legwork.

I did however replace my fogs with regular ones from Hamish. One of mine was in a terrible state (and the other which was fine is about to go to Jane if I remember to take it with me). They are now white (were blue - see my sig)

Thing with the DRLs though, legally, they have to at least dim by 25% or something when you put your sidelights (or headlights) on. Because I use a relay, they simply turn off.
No Longer Here

2 of the left

TIN!!! ????? - The only motors on UK highways that are tin are French built!!!!!!!- BUT your 2 is a cracker!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

rich_p

Hmm interesting to note that they must dim with sidelights too, that could actually be the final nail for them, as I've been undecided. They do switch off completely with headlights but stay on with the sides. It'd probably simple to rejig the wiring to them, but then I'd be tempted to simply leave them unplugged!

I only say Tin because lightweight racecar, it gives it character  s;) ;) s;)  honestly the celica which I expected to be similar is luxury compared to the '2, it has a few more creature comforts I've added, we'll see how the roadster develops but as it's not my daily it's fine being different  s:) :) s:)

Call the midlife!

Drls only need to go off when the headlights come on, they're ok to be on with sidelights without being dimmed.
And they have to be at the legal height and distance from the side of your vehicle. (Unlike mine...[emoji23]).
The theory being if it's not that dark to need dipped headlights the DRL won't dazzle an oncoming driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

rich_p

I've been meaning to update this for a while,
Over the past few weeks I've taken some better photos, stockpiled some parts and lowered it 'a little'.

Now with Meister R's

Could still do with some fine tuning but the day was over with by then, ill sort it next time I have the wheels off the ground.

Waiting to be fitted now I've EBC green pads and new discs all round, new rear calipers, braided brake hoses and ofcourse fresh fluid to go with it all, new droplinks will be fitted too as I needed to buthcher them to get the suspension changed, I've brass shift bushes to fit and some keys to get cut before I attempt to code them.

Last weekend saw the simpler job of a MAF clean and proper single DIN stereo surround fitted.
I've an idea in mind for a few little cosmetic tweaks but I'll wait until I've everything I need before getting underway.
With one day off a week at the moment and working away from home I'm not making quite the progress i'd hoped or even getting out much in it but I'm carrying on with what I can when I can.

delhusband

Nice, great photos  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

rich_p

I've finally got myself a little time to get cracking on with this project so took yesterday to start my brake refresh.

It didn't go according to plan!

I've two new rear calipers, fresh discs, ebc green pads and braided hoses to go all round.

The result after a day on stop? I've done one corner! Albeit one of the rears with a new caliper. It was the handbrake setup which really decided it would ruin my day, there's a little pin which should just push out releasing the cable from the caliper. No amount of hammering would budge it so it was drill and hacksawed off then replaced with an M8 bolt and nylock nut. Not looking forward to the next side as that is the more seized of the two. I think even separating the old caliper and it's carrier will cause problems..
The front should be plain sailing, fingers crossed!

On a positive note, I've some shiny new wheels on order and I've swapped out the side vents for some black ones, as well as a few others little bits sorted out.

I'll update with photos once I've got the brakes done and can make the car look cared for again.

steveash

Looking good. You've gone lower than I have with the Meister Rs. I'm tempted to go a bit lower now. Do you bottom out over kerbs or speed humps?

rich_p

Thanks!

I've actually raised the rear a little since the pic just to balance it a bit better visually. I've not bottomed out or scraped yet. I've honestly not done much mileage in it but my estate has got those big rubber square style speed bumps and the I've taken a few 'sleeping policeman' style mounds without issue.
As a side note, the Celica scraped like hell up and down a multi-storey today  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Call the midlife!

I dropped mine around 25mm on the front and kept the advised rake at the rear and I've had no problem with mine, I think there's only about 10mm left available to play with on the front anyway.
I'm on standard PFL wheels and tyres, much lower and I'd not get on the ramp for alignment without as it stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

smarty72

Quote - "was the handbrake setup which really decided it would ruin my day, there's a little pin which should just push out releasing the cable from the caliper. No amount of hammering would budge it so it was drill and hacksawed off then replaced with an M8 bolt and nylock nut. Not looking forward to the next side as that is the more seized of the two"

I had this the other week.  I found a soak with some plus gas before using a socket just big enough to fit over the back of the pin and a sizeable G clamp to push the other side did the trick.
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

rich_p

That actually makes perfect sense, and is pretty sound advice. Makes me wish I was better equipped and I almost bought a pair of G-clamps the last time I saw them 'just in case'  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

rich_p

Sadly this project has met a premature end  s:( :( s:(  

I was side swiped by and old woman crossing two lanes of traffic on a dual carriageway not taking the time to make sure she a clear path. The car will most likely be written off.

I'm ofcourse hoping that insurance settle things quickly and I'll be shopping for a new one to continue my plans.

I'm gutted but it's nothing but metal at the end of the day, all involved walked away.

rich_p

Oops,
Double post to be deleted.

delhusband

That's terrible news. Hope no-one was injured, really sorry to hear that.
Hate pointy animals

shnazzle

Oh no! Sorry to hear about that  s:( :( s:(  Glad you're OK. And also glad you're considering buying another one to replace it  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Treboeth

Sorry about the bad news, upgrade time though [emoji3]

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

K T M Rider

a shame   s:( :( s:(
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

jvanzyl

Wow... Glad you're ok...

2 of the left

Damn!! It's always a shock when I hear news, such as this - So another 2 gone!! - Glad to hear you are going for another one though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Chilli Girl

Really sorry to hear your sad news.  RIP Tincan    s:( :( s:(
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Tags: