Bargain-bucket MR2

Started by The Arch Bishop, July 15, 2017, 18:13

The Arch Bishop

Cheers! All good info and not cluttering up the thread at all!

I tried a Dremel disc and it wore out straight away and only made the faintest of marks in it!!  ;D

I gave my Dad a call to see how he'd managed on his and he used a hack saw to cut the edges and folded it over, so I'll give that a go next.

The Arch Bishop

Quote from: KTM_Rider on March 10, 2018, 23:42
How vast was the expense for the piddly O ring BTW? I might need to invest in one at some point.....
Here you go - https://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/1190

OK, it's hardy mega bucks, but still!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: The Arch Bishop on March 11, 2018, 15:45
Cheers! All good info and not cluttering up the thread at all!

I tried a Dremel disc and it wore out straight away and only made the faintest of marks in it!!  ;D

I gave my Dad a call to see how he'd managed on his and he used a hack saw to cut the edges and folded it over, so I'll give that a go next.
Yeah, looking back I used a hacksaw blade on the long runs. Are you using cutting or grinding discs on the Dremmel? (respectfully) the cutting discs I have for mine make mincemeat out of stuff at the right speed etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

The Arch Bishop

In all fairness, I doubt the ones I have are genuine dremel ones and are not the best quality. I need to actually spend some time on it rather than attacking it without thinking.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: The Arch Bishop on March 11, 2018, 19:25
In all fairness, I doubt the ones I have are genuine dremel ones and are not the best quality. I need to actually spend some time on it rather than attacking it without thinking.
My late father was one for buying "lookalike" tools off the markets, including a "Dremmel" which was fine for light domestic stuff but the fittings and accessories weren't up to snuff. I reluctantly binned it before Christmas as I just couldn't mend it anymore and bought the genuine article. I got a quick release fitting for the discs etc and a set of cutting and grinding discs and the difference is night and day, they don't fly apart if you catch or nip them. Although I bought a set of generic wire brushes to fettle some bits of rusty paintwork and spent more time pulling wires out of my clothes![emoji23]

The Arch Bishop

You get what you pay for! I think my Dremel is an original from the late 90's and still going strong. The accessories are are in an unmarked box and, other than the grinding stones which have put up with a monumental amount of abuse, are a touch ropey.

I've ordered a cutting set with the fancy speed click mandrel included to see if that helps. I'm quite keen to make a neat job of it.

The Arch Bishop

I've been Dremeling away in the garage tonight. The proper Dremel cutting discs made a world of difference and, once I'd practised a bit, could get a fairly neat shape with it. Went over it with a grinding stone afterwards to smooth off the rough edges and fairly pleased with the result;

Looks a bit rough now I look at the pictures, but much better in the flesh. I had to remove quite a large section to be able to easily get the lambda sensor in as well as the socket to tighten it, but it should make like easier should it need to come out again;

Can finally get on to fitting it properly to the car, but that's it for now!

Sorry for the posts on every detail - I like to catalogue everything as I go, so tell me if the borderline forensic details get dull!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: The Arch Bishop on March 14, 2018, 20:47
I've been Dremeling away in the garage tonight. The proper Dremel cutting discs made a world of difference and, once I'd practised a bit, could get a fairly neat shape with it. Went over it with a grinding stone afterwards to smooth off the rough edges and fairly pleased with the result;

Looks a bit rough now I look at the pictures, but much better in the flesh. I had to remove quite a large section to be able to easily get the lambda sensor in as well as the socket to tighten it, but it should make like easier should it need to come out again;

Can finally get on to fitting it properly to the car, but that's it for now!

Sorry for the posts on every detail - I like to catalogue everything as I go, so tell me if the borderline forensic details get dull!
Liking your work! Have you actually tried to get the O2 sensors and shield on at the same time yet? The right hand kicks out at a completely different angle to standard and needed a bit of extra trimming to get it on. The cable can pull quite tight also once everything is nipped up but you can gain a little slack by unclipping the connection from the mounting bracket. I'm still tempted to fit a post cat with the longer lead but might be too much cable that way!

The Arch Bishop

Yeah, the other side is pretty much bang on so doesn't need trimming thankfully!

Hoping that the cable isn't too tight as I think that might just tip me over the edge!!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: The Arch Bishop on March 14, 2018, 21:54
Yeah, the other side is pretty much bang on so doesn't need trimming thankfully!

Hoping that the cable isn't too tight as I think that might just tip me over the edge!!
If you look at the last of the pics I posted you'll see what I mean.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: The Arch Bishop on March 14, 2018, 21:54

If you look at the last of the pics I posted you'll see what I mean.

The Arch Bishop

Yours is a lot neater.... and blue!

There will be a sting in the tail I'm sure, but I'll push on through! :-D

Call the midlife!

Quote from: The Arch Bishop on March 14, 2018, 23:03
Yours is a lot neater.... and blue!

There will be a sting in the tail I'm sure, but I'll push on through! :-D
It's definitely blue but I'd say yours is a better job than mine as the rim is intact all round, if I had a spare shield I'd have another attempt.
You'll fettle it, you've not been beaten yet!

The Arch Bishop

And it's on! Yay whoop etc!

That's with all of the heat shield fitted too so I'm a very chuffed bucket owner.

For reference, the conjoined top and bottom heat shield will fit in once the the manifold is fitted if you remove the engine bay cross braces.

The lambda's were easy to fit too with plenty of space to fit the socket in.

So all-in-all, it's a long protracted win!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: The Arch Bishop on March 16, 2018, 13:17
And it's on! Yay whoop etc!

That's with all of the heat shield fitted too so I'm a very chuffed bucket owner.

For reference, the conjoined top and bottom heat shield will fit in once the the manifold is fitted if you remove the engine bay cross braces.

The lambda's were easy to fit too with plenty of space to fit the socket in.

So all-in-all, it's a long protracted win!
Nicely done Sir!

The Arch Bishop

I've been painting the sills again but it's not very picture-worthy, but when not in the garage I've also been playing with Inkscape as I've been wanting to re-learn how to draw in vectors.

So here's the bucket immortalised (it's still a work in progress);

I love these vector thingies as when you've finished, you can print them out at absolutely any size or use them for 50 foot banners, t-shirts, anything really and they stay absolutely crisp.

It's also extremely therapeutic!

Topdownman

Very nice.

(It does need some lowering springs though!).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

The Arch Bishop

Quote from: Topdownman on March 24, 2018, 15:00

(It does need some lowering springs though!).
Ha! Nah it's standard ride height car - ie: on stilts!  ;)

The Arch Bishop

A medley of MR's;

Right, off to the garage for some real work!

StuC

No dirty silvers there! :)

URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Topdownman

That is almost warholesque.

(He would have fitted lowering springs though...).

Hope your time in the garage is as productive.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

delhusband

Quote from: StuC on March 25, 2018, 11:53
Cheeky! Who has the broad brush now  :-) ;)
Hate pointy animals

StuC

Quote from: delhusband on March 25, 2018, 12:13
Quote from: StuC on March 25, 2018, 11:53
Cheeky! Who has the broad brush now  :-) ;)

;)
Best regards
Brushy McBroadstroke
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

delhusband

Hate pointy animals

The Arch Bishop

Question time!

While the back end has been up in the air, I've been rechecking the rear brakes. One of the calipers was a known good one from Dick Sloan, the other was in decent condition anyway - both have working handbrake arms and the cables move freely. They had new pads and the slide pins were greased up carefully before being remounted.

I always had a suspicion that they were binding due to a fine layer of brake dust after a short drive. While the car is up on the stands, I noticed that one was very stiff and the other side you could only rotate using a breaker bar so it's seriously binding.

I've backed of the handbrake adjuster fully, taken the side of that was slightly better, wound the cylinder right the way in (it wound in smoothly) and then out by 180 degrees, refitted (hub then turned easily), pumped the brakes. Once done, it's still fairly difficult to turn. I've adjusted the handbrake back up and that locks it very well but it still binds after releasing the handbrake.

I haven't tacked the other side yet as my garage is tiny and I can't really get to it, but has anyone got any idea what's going on?

Everything checks out but there's clearly something amiss!

I understand that there should be a slight drag on them, but this seems excessive!

Any help, as always would be received with grace, honour and the promise of a beer if you're ever near Hurstpierpoint!  :D

Tags: