Help, no handbrake after calliper re-built

Started by ihs61, July 28, 2017, 18:43

Krissiesherwood

Hi 'the other Stu,  thanks for that,  I will look up getting one.  I'm also going to look for the plug in point on my 2003 roadster,  I am hoping it is easy to find.  
I'm not very technically minded,  so hope I will be able to do it myself,  do you have to download an 'app' on the phone to be able to read it?
Kind regards,   Krissie.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Krissie sherwood

The Other Stu

If you buy the bluetooth one, you need to find the app called "Torque"
It's easy to find the plug - it's on the right hand side of the steering wheel, a few inches under the switches (you might want to kneel on the floor and look underneath that panel).

I wouldn't suggest leaving it permanently plugged in unless you're happy with the ABS and airbag lights on constantly  s:D :D s:D

Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with the ABS or Airbag. The onboard computer (ECU) is constantly sending out signals and the OBD reader picks them up. The ECU expects to get a response, but the OBD reader doesn't bother sending it back.
No Longer Here

Ardent

Kwood.
As stu. Get a reader. Will pay for itself first time you use it.
Get the code. Come on here. Wisdom will poor forth.
My moneys on an o2 sensor.

PhilzMR2

Quote from: "Krissiesherwood"I removed the d.s rear wheel to look at the condition of the brake discs and pads,  the disc was grubby, so I wire brushed it

This really isn't a good idea!

Krissiesherwood

s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  Hi all,  update.... I checked fuel cap/ oil/water....oil was bit low,  so topped it up.  Disconnecd battery,  light didn't come back on,  so took it for short spin,  and it still never came back on,  so fingers crossed,  it will be okay.   I am definitely going to invest in one of those detectors tho.    I know the back brakes need adjusting anyway,  so it will be good idea to see what it's advising me.  Very much appreciated all comments on this forum.  Will keep posted.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Krissie sherwood

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Krissiesherwood":bounce: Hi all,  update.... I checked fuel cap/ oil/water....oil was bit low,  so topped it up.  Disconnecd battery,  light didn't come back on,  so took it for short spin,  and it still never came back on,  so fingers crossed,  it will be okay.   I am definitely going to invest in one of those detectors though.    I know the back brakes need adjusting anyway,  so it will be good idea to see what it's advising me.  Very much appreciated all comments on this forum.  Will keep posted.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Hi Krissie, the OBD2 code reading unit won't really tell you what may or may not be wrong with your brakes other than perhaps (and I stand to be corrected here) any issues with the ABS as they work on electrical data collected by various sensors and sent to the engine management system. In the most basic terms you plug them in, turn your key to acc and the code reader shows any fault codes stored in the engine management system. You then look these codes up to diagnose what parts etc might be at fault.
They can't tell you about faults or issues with things like brakes or suspension as these don't have that type of sensor in these cars.
Disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so will usually clear any fault codes from the system but if you've not sorted the problem don't be surprised to see the light come back on the next time you drive it as some faults take a few drives to reappear.
Where are you based? There's probably a friendly member not far away who'll happily read any codes for you, although as said before if you've had the battery off you need to wait for the codes to be stored again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Krissiesherwood

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Hi 'thanks for that,  I didn't realise.  
I am based in Kent,  Herne Bay.   It would be great if someone on here can help me.   As a new menber,  who isn't too good with navigating around this forum,  not sure how to try and contact someone.
Anyone who can assist me,  I will be grateful.   Many thanks krissie   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
Krissie sherwood

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Krissiesherwood":roll: Hi 'thanks for that,  I didn't realise.  
I am based in Kent,  Herne Bay.   It would be great if someone on here can help me.   As a new menber,  who isn't too good with navigating around this forum,  not sure how to try and contact someone.
Anyone who can assist me,  I will be grateful.   Many thanks krissie   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
Sorry, I'm East Yorkshire or I'd be glad to [emoji23]

Krissiesherwood

Hi 'Midlife'.......East Yorkshire,   yes I think it's a bit too far.  Thank you anyway.   I will keep waiting for someone nearer perhaps.
Krissie sherwood

PhilzMR2

Quote from: "ihs61"Thanks for all advice, all now sorted
I now have a puncture - doh
Cheers Ian

Can I just ask what your final solution was? I have the same issue with my car.

Krissiesherwood

s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  Hi everyone,  I have a mk3 roadster 2003,  wingmirrors won't bend in,  the guy I braught it from said they don't,  so I havnt tried.  They are very stiff,  so I tie a plastic carrier bag on it whilst parked up.   It's parked on busy road,  so preferably would like to be able to fold them in,  but I was told today that they 'do' fold in,  and must be stiff.
Read a few posts on here and noted that some do and some don't.  
Don't want to force it,  was wondering if a bit of DW40 will do,  plus a bit of ''L'bow'' grease?
All advice really appreciated.   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Krissie sherwood

lamcote

Personally I would prefer to leave the mirror out because I think it's better to lose a mirror than having someone scratch the whole side of the car by driving too close.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Krissiesherwood":bounce: Hi everyone,  I have a mk3 roadster 2003,  wingmirrors won't bend in,  the guy I braught it from said they don't,  so I havnt tried.  They are very stiff,  so I tie a plastic carrier bag on it whilst parked up.   It's parked on busy road,  so preferably would like to be able to fold them in,  but I was told today that they 'do' fold in,  and must be stiff.
Read a few posts on here and noted that some do and some don't.  
Don't want to force it,  was wondering if a bit of DW40 will do,  plus a bit of ''L'bow'' grease?
All advice really appreciated.   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
If they're original then they should fold, bit of chosen lubricant, hold the stalk with one hand while gently but firmly encouraging it with the other.
The door skins are prone to flex if you don't brace the mirror stem, maybe get an extra pair of hands if they're really stiff and hit it a few times with the heel of your hand.

Treboeth

Quote from: "lamcote"Personally I would prefer to leave the mirror out because I think it's better to lose a mirror than having someone scratch the whole side of the car by driving too close.
Personally I would rather people learnt to drive properly   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   but totally agree better leaving the mirrors out ( we have Dick/Dean who probably have more mirrors than panels) until people start driving properly.

Krissiesherwood

Hi everyone,  I'm back after few weeks working in Spain.   Glad to be back, mishap I could have used the car out there,  weathers ideal.   I have now got problem with the 'tin/metal Petrol cover,  I put petrol in,  and closed the plastic cap,  then the outer cover, which was a bit wobbly.   The engine management light came on again,  it happened the last time I put fuel in and I double checked it, and disconnecd the battery and the light didn't come in again.   Until this time.....except the cover didn't open,  so my brother helped me get it open,  I flicked up the interior petrol cap switch, and he tried opening it,  after a few goes,  we got it open, & tried to take it off,  got the screws out,  but couldn't get it off, tried pressing in the 'catch' but still couldn't get it off. Brother thinks it has to be done by going under the wheel arch,  but I'm not sure,  it seems like a lot of work.  It's obviously got something to do with the engine management system.  My mechanic at local garage thinks not.  He wants it in for an hour to see what the problem is.  Then there is the cost for 'probable new part' on top.   Anyone any ideas please.    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
Krissie sherwood

Krissiesherwood

Not mishap....should be...."wish "  I could have used the car out there.
Krissie sherwood

Krissiesherwood

Thank you to the messages about the wing mirrors that won't bend in.....I didn't think of the fact of people getting too close and scratching the car down the side....so I have decided to leave them out and not try and bend them in,  I've tied a orange plastic carrier bag on it when parked up.  It catches drivers attention,  as if it gets a bit windy,  it lets people see the little red car parked up. Flapping about in the wind,  might make'em slow down a bit.   Like the other guy said,  "ours is a quiet road,  unless there's a lot of traffic"   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Krissie sherwood

Krissiesherwood

Hi everyone,  I'm looking for a petrol cap cover in red if possible.  My one was very wobbly and it has now been taken off as it started getting stuck,  and wouldn't open when I was trying to get petrol.
I'm just looking for one from MR2 Roadster 03 plate.  
Any ideas people?   Far too expensive for new one 'atm,  especially with Christmas coming.  I'm not in any hurry so happy to wait for one.
Let me wish you all a happy Christmas while I am 'logged on' today.   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Krissie sherwood

Krissiesherwood

P.S.
My old one which the mechanic has removed for me,  is made out of tin!!! Not sure if this is usual?
 Seems funny to have a flimsy lightweight petrol cover made from tin   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Krissie sherwood

Ardent

look up rutland mr2 in our affilates section.
I dare say dean could even do it in the colour of choice

Tags: