Lost Key Transponder Fob Thingy

Started by w00dhead, August 1, 2017, 23:47

w00dhead

So I've lost my key... Been missing for weeks. Was planning on it maybe turning up somewhere in the house but that's failed to happen

So forgive my ignorance - I've looked at others posts and still a bit confused - The key I've lost is the black one with the central locking / what in calling the alarm bits and bobs in. All I have now is what I'm calling the spare which is grey and literally just a key. This unlocked the doors. I get in and the alarm goes off. If i put this in the ignition the car starts and alarm stops (bare with me, I did say forgive my ignorance...) So am I right in saying that this key, being I assume a genuine Toyata key, makes the immobiliser happy and it's the bits and bobs in the key I've lost that switches the alarm off?

Do I just need to get a new transponder thingy. If so where from and I assume it a question of reprogramming it to my car

Sorry for my stupidity. Thanks in advance

m1tch

The gray key I believe will be the valet key so it can manually lock the car and start it but you can't unlock the glove box or frunk/fuel levers (if those have been locked), the alarm will go off as I believe its the central locking fob that arms the alarm.

I am sure someone will chime in soon with where best to get a new transponder setup, at least you still have a working key!

w00dhead

Quote from: "m1tch"The gray key I believe will be the valet key so it can manually lock the car and start it but you can't unlock the glove box or frunk/fuel levers (if those have been locked), the alarm will go off as I believe its the central locking fob that arms the alarm.

I am sure someone will chime in soon with where best to get a new transponder setup, at least you still have a working key!

Thanks. Yes, fingers crossed... Just waiting for the assembled masses of this forum to guide me down the right path

ptennisnet

My understanding is that you can't programme another black key without an already programmed black key.  There are details on here somewhere about the sequence of door opening and pedal pushing that needs to be followed when programming both the transponder and the alarm bits of the key.

headcase

cant program key  with valet key but  I can reset ecu to take a black key .pm me

m1tch

Might actually work out cheaper to get an ECU, key and lock set, its not like there are many locks on the car.

w00dhead

Quote from: "headcase"cant program key  with valet key but  I can reset ecu to take a black key .pm me

Ok, fine but where best to get a new key, or rather the gubbins inside they key? ...have sent you a pm

w00dhead

Quote from: "m1tch"Might actually work out cheaper to get an ECU, key and lock set, its not like there are many locks on the car.

That sounds like a ball ache to somebody as un-technical as me... I just need a new key with the bits for the alarm and central locking in yes? Where do I get one from (cheap) and what is this black magic I hear of were you can do a rest to they new bits in the key to sync with my car...?

m1tch

Quote from: "w00dhead"
Quote from: "m1tch"Might actually work out cheaper to get an ECU, key and lock set, its not like there are many locks on the car.

That sounds like a ball ache to somebody as un-technical as me... I just need a new key with the bits for the alarm and central locking in yes? Where do I get one from (cheap) and what is this black magic I hear of were you can do a rest to they new bits in the key to sync with my car...?

Here are some of the features you can program, trying to find the sequence to program and additional key.

m https://midshiprunabout.org/mk3/program ... ty-system/ m

headcase

Get a key from eBay or mr d Sloan  

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tags: