4 wheel laser alignment check - under warranty?

Started by mrsmr2, February 15, 2005, 11:54

mrsmr2

Following my day at North Weald yesterday, Andy confirmed what I had always thought about my car - it is quite understeery.

He suggested I get an alignment check.

I've had a good look through the web site but I would like to know if there is any chance I can get this done under warranty.  Car is 10 months old, 11k miles.

What do you reckon my chances are?

Thanks

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Bongo

I'd guess at slim to none...   s:? :? s:?  

After 11k miles i'm sure they'd say that any misalignment is more likely to be due to your driving.

Slacey

Agreed - even my very amiable dealer would refuse that I reckon.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Liz

The refused me when I had the suspension changed - point blank - two hopes and one of them is called Bob.

<<Off topic>>
No big write up from you that attended yesterday? Going to start a new thread on it?

<<back on topic>>
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

mrsmr2

Boo, but I'm not surprised really.

Thanks

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

roger

Quote from: "Liz"<<Off topic>>
No big write up from you that attended yesterday? Going to start a new thread on it?

<<back on topic>>

I was the other one, only two of us...and I 'm not starting the thread!

Unfortunately after Andy drove me to show how it should have been done, I went into puke mode. Spent most of the afternoon circuit driving sitting in the car (stationary) going a pale shade of white!

I know I get motion sickness...just kicking myself for not having some tablets before I set off. Unfortunately it spoiled what could have been a very good day for me.....but I know Jason enjoyed it.

Roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2934&highlight=wheel+alignment

I had my wheels aligned 2 months after buying the car under warranty. But 10 months who knows???
If you don't ask you don't get....Are you near to a service perhaps you can haggle a reduction in the wheel alignment.
Best of luck

Edit
11K you've just had one  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Did you mention it to MrT then?

mrsmr2

Only found out I needed it doing yesterday.  I just thought the 04's were more 'sensible' than the pre-03s.

I couldn't understand why I couldn't make the wall at speeds over 74.  Andy himself could just make 75 and failed hopelessly at 80.  

He commented that Roger's felt different, and I noticed the difference when I was a passenger in it - seemed more positive on turn in.

Write up will follow sometime..  Along with some footage.

Regards

Jason

kanujunkie

Quote from: "mrsmr2"I just thought the 04's were more 'sensible' than the pre-03s.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

it's an MR2, it'll never be sensible whatever the model, that's why we all love em so much
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

mrsmr2

I think mine's a bit more 'sensible' than most of them, and it is not the reason why I bought an MR car.

About to ring Toyota very soon.

mrsmr2

£65+VAT, gulp.  Includes all adjustments required - just hope there are no extra charges.

Jason

Jap GT300

Is that price for a full wheel alignment or tracking?

Tracking should only cost £24 from Toyota and around £30 from kwik-fit etc.

Full wheel alignment is usually around £80 though.

I suspect you only need tracking as full wheel alignments are usually only done on accident damaged cars.

darrenjuggins

Hi,

Wheel alignment and adjustment from Listers in Lincoln is £45 !!!!  :-) :-) :-)

The beauty of living in Lincolnshire !

Certainly worth the money and make sure they give you the nice colour pictures of before and after  s:) :) s:)

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

mrsmr2

Price is for the full 4 wheel alignment.  

My 2 understeers - I think that is enough to call for an alignment check  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

OK, it's not terrible and oversteer can be provoked but, I remember the old 2's I drove (pre 03s) having a better turn in than mine.

At least mine tracks straight, and is much more stable than those cars.

Still, we'll see tomorrow if anything is out.

Regards

Jason

darrenjuggins

Hi Jason,

Hope all goes well, i've just taken my Hardtop off and have now discovered why I want a new breast plate   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

I'm sure I will get used to it again, but was just a shock...

anyway - hope she feels better after a bit of tweeking, just make sure you get a before and after print, so you can see what was wrong.

Cheers

D  :-) :-) :-)
Darren A. Juggins

roger

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"and have now discovered why I want a new breast plate   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  D  :-) :-) :-)

Jason, as we discussed, maybe thats it, but useful to check out the tracking first. By the way Andy told me that from his experience front strut bars provided only minimal advantage.

Roger
Roger

mrsmr2

Hi Roger.  Andy wasn't completely clear to me on what made the difference.  His initial thought was that it was the tyres (during the first break).  

He has driven a number of 2's and they won't all have been modified.  He thought mine wasn't behaving quite the same as those.  He thought I should get it checked.  

On the steering on the throttle exercise mine should have spun when lifting off, and it didn't.

Of course, it makes mine a safe car to drive - nice  s:( :( s:(  

Jason

Anonymous

I had mine allingned at Toyota Telford two weeks ago cost 90 quid   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Anyway it did the trick. Does anyone understand  the measurements? if so i will post my before and after and we can see how bad it was.

Slacey

Quote from: "RaGE"I had mine allingned at Toyota Telford two weeks ago...
Out of interest, why there?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "RaGE"I had mine allingned at Toyota Telford two weeks ago...
Out of interest, why there?

Becuase
a) My local dealer Worcester have just moved to a swanky new site and put up their prices to match
b)Telford came recommended on a post (by you?!)
c) When the wife had her Volvo it went to their Volvo dealership who were very good
d) And finally the aforementioned wife is currently working about two minutes from them.

Overall I'd give them a B+ they did everything I asked but took a bit or prompting. the mechanics obviously spend most of the day driving yaris' because they couldnt feel anything wrong with the handling on my 2.

To get back on topic the alingnment was well worth doing not only did it improve the handling but it also gave me great peace of mind that evrything was OK.

roger

Quote from: "mrsmr2"On the steering on the throttle exercise mine should have spun when lifting off, and it didn't.

Of course, it makes mine a safe car to drive - nice  s:( :( s:(  

Jason

Agreed on the other matters, it was just a comment he made to me about FSBs.

On the above, is that the "wall" or the "slip angle"? If it was the wall, I hit it twice !!! as the car spun and reversed (forgot to put my foot on the clutch   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  , if it was the slip angle one, that just went tighter and tighter until it stopped, no spinning.

One thing I did learn is bring the ABS into full operation and you can steer round a problem at 70mph!

Roger
Roger

mrsmr2

Roger, yes it was the slip angle one.  I would expect that to provoke a spin as I was lifting off from a high level of understeer (and speed).  I think Andy was a bit surprised it didn't as well.

The brakes on this car make the braking through the wall exercise almost pointless - I did the wall quite easily at 80 using the brakes (could have gone a fair bit faster) - max was 73/4 without.

The car has been checked by Toyota and adjusted.  No major problems -   rear right toe was outside of the tolerance, and also the front left toe was out, neither by a large amount.

Heavy traffic on way back so no chance to see if there was any difference - but the mechanic didn't think I would notice any.

Interesting to note that they only had one set of settings for the roadster to include both pre and post 03's.

Jason

mrsmr2

Quick update.

Car does a feel a bit better after the adjustments.  Nothing spectacular but it's back to rotating around the engine feel again.

Jason

Tags: