Year 2000 MR2 roadster, UK version

Started by tperry2x, August 25, 2017, 15:01

carolineasb

Does that not mean you have no immobiliser though?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

tperry2x

Probably, lol. I've not tried to hot wire the car, but I'm pretty sure someone's already messed with the wiring to such an extent that a lot of things are bypassed. All the buttons work in there, but the deeper I look, the more spliced in wires I find, so I'm starting to see why the car was cheap. Hence I've got nothing to lose particularly in some hidden wiring myself.

smarty72

Not having an immobiliser on one of these cars wouldn't lose me any sleep.

I've been on here a few years and read quite a few threads of people's engines catastrophically dying, the vast majority of which were as a result of running the oil low.  Can't think of any where the EML came on to warn them.  They usually mention the oil low pressure light coming on, after the damage has been done of course.

£2.85 sounds like an ideal solution, you can always advise any prospective buyer and read any codes to show them there's nothing untoward going on.
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

smarty72

Slight thread hijack.

Would that timer relay work on the frickin annoying reverse beeper?

I have currently silenced it with wire snippers.  But letting it sound for 2 seconds would be preferential.

tperry2x

Smarty2072, I guess so. It's just a timed relay after all. No reason it can't be used for a buzzer as all it's doing is working like a timed not-gate on the circuit. You have a reversing buzzer?

Amazon link for the one I found is here. Cheaper now, which is typical  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N3LQXTO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RtaPzbQZ3B5VC

smarty72

Quote from: "tperry2x"Smarty2072, I guess so. It's just a timed relay after all. No reason it can't be used for a buzzer as all it's doing is working like a timed not-gate on the circuit. You have a reversing buzzer?

Amazon link for the one I found is here. Cheaper now, which is typical  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Yes, must be a FL thing, or someone has disconnected yours.  It beeps relentlessly while it's in reverse and serves no purpose other than to distract you.  It's loud and annoying, a two second beep just to let you know you've selected reverse would be handy I suppose.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "smarty2072"
Quote from: "tperry2x"Smarty2072, I guess so. It's just a timed relay after all. No reason it can't be used for a buzzer as all it's doing is working like a timed not-gate on the circuit. You have a reversing buzzer?

Yes, must be a FL thing, or someone has disconnected yours.  It beeps relentlessly while it's in reverse and serves no purpose other than to distract you.  It's loud and annoying, a two second beep just to let you know you've selected reverse would be handy I suppose.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
It's a Facelift thing, thankfully... I think it's relevant to the 6 speed box and the position of 1st and reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

tperry2x

I've not done anything on the car for a while, just been using it day-to-day while I wait for the little timer relay to arrive. It arrived yesterday, so here's my wiring diagram:

Essentially, you set the timer delay with a flat screwdriver (I turned it so it clicks off after 1 second).

When you connect the power (the ignition switch), the bulb comes on... waits a second, then goes off.
That's exactly what I wanted.

Next step was to take the dashboard out, and the back cover off

Then find a small enough 12v bulb

(Just testing it before I connect it all back up)

Put the circuit board back on:

Then the plastic cover back on:

Testing (no more engine light after 1 second) - Comes on for 1 second when you turn ignition on. Job done (while the car is running fine, at any rate).

(Be careful of these little tags when putting the facia back on)

Took the car to a friendly MOT technician and we hooked the emissions test equipment up just to check readings. He said they are all over the place when cold, (to be expected with the O2 sensors not working), but once engine up to temperature the diagnostic shows all emissions within MOT tolerances.
That's good enough for me. This isn't the normal way to deal with the problem, but I can still plug in the diagnostic reader if I'm concerned about how it's running, just will never see that engine light on the dash to annoy me.

Tags: