Which radiator?

Started by smarty72, September 6, 2017, 11:45

smarty72

Requesting opinions to help me decide which radiator to buy?

Option 1: Koyo branded radiator for £56 (carparts4less)

Option 2: The EBay rad from Coolpartsuk for £37.50?

Been trying to decide whether mine is weeping from the bottom corner or not.  It always seems moist down there and the coolant does seem to have dropped a little.  Just had a good look at the rad and lots of the fins are knackered anyway so just going to replace it, but can't decide which is best or whether to save £19 or not.
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

m1tch

Guessing Mishimoto radiator upgrade is out of the question?  s:D :D s:D  Might as well go for a branded rad - how many times are you planning to replace the rad?

onion86

I just went for the coolpartsuk one, seems fine. You should be fine with either really.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Gaz mr-s

+1.
 If you buy the Coolparts you may wish to swap the bleed screw in the offside top corner.....commonly done.

spit

+1 to sacking the bleed screw. They're pants.

When you install, a generous wrap of PTFE tape on the thread will encourage the bleed screw to behave like a tap rather than a water feature! Its well worth doing and makes bleeding the system so much easier.

QuoteBeen trying to decide whether mine is weeping from the bottom corner or not. It always seems moist down there and the coolant does seem to have dropped a little.

More than likely. They do tend to go on the bottom channel and can weep for ages without you noticing a catastrophic loss of coolant. Pop your frunk cover and get in there with a bit of kitchen roll - any pink staining will confirm its coolant (assuming you're using red coolant!)

Second favourite candidate would be a goosed hose clamp which will show as a pink crust on the hard pipes where the hoses attach.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

cptspaulding

Another recommendation on the Coolpartsuk rad.

Passenger side at bottom of the rad is where they appear to go. 20 minute job to change it. Just remember to use the blind grommet & diddy jubilee clip on the wee hose connection halfway up one side before you fill it.

I didn't forget. Oh no. Not me. I didn't keep filling & wondering where the coolant was going only to find a puddle around the front for the car. Uh uh.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

smarty72

Thanks for the comments.
Just back from picking up the Koyo rad as I have the day off tomorrow and decided I really want this sorted sooner rather that later.
Hopefully it will go without any problems....

smarty72

No doubt left that it's leaking, not a moment too soon with the replacement me thinks....

Bossworld

Bookmarking for rad change and the coolparts bits tips  s:) :) s:)

smarty72

Quote from: "Bossworld"Bookmarking for rad change and the coolparts bits tips  s:) :) s:)

I went for the Koyo in the end, seemed identical to the original with no need to blank off any pipes.  Happy with what I bought, not seen a coolparts one though so might have been equally happy with that.

shnazzle

Blank off what pipes? I've got a coolpartsuk and never seen anything that needed blocking off
...neutiquam erro.

normanh

Coolparts great value fitted mine last year. Picked it up in the local Argos so no issue with post.

Norman

cptspaulding

Quote from: "shnazzle"Blank off what pipes? I've got a coolpartsuk and never seen anything that needed blocking off

Mine had a small stubby pipe on one side. Was supplied with a blind grommet & a small jubilee clip to black it off.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

Tags: