Would it be possible........

Started by wotugonado, October 5, 2017, 15:10

wotugonado

Do you think its possible to run a conduit from front to back underneath the car so I can route a cable for a gauge.
I know you can come through the rear bins but my audio install makes it a massive pita to take them out, so im looking for alternative routes.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Carolyn

I ran the wiring for my oil pressure gauge by taking off the side trim next to the bin behind the driver's seat and by popping off the bottom trim beneath the door.  I used a length of welding rod to pull a wire through the grommet in the engine compartment.  Didn't remove a bin.  A bit fiddly but not too bad.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

paulj

Anything is possible (!).

You would run the risk of any wiring run under the car being clobbered by speed humps or debris thrown up from the road.  Whilst it's a pain I would probably go to the trouble of moving the audio installation - do it once and drop some conduit in so that you don't have to do it again (leave a string in the conduit)
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

lamcote

Quote from: "Carolyn"I ran the wiring for my oil pressure gauge by taking off the side trim next to the bin behind the driver's seat and by popping off the bottom trim beneath the door.

That's exactly what I would do now, having removed the bins last weekend to run a reversing camera wire I can see that Carolyn's suggestion would be a lot easier. If you haven't had the bins out before it might be tricky to visualise how it will work but it definitely will so well worth trying because I reckon it's the best option.

I'm sure we can explain more details if required.

Carolyn, did you pierce the grommet to get the wire through or fit it through an existing hole?
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

wotugonado

Thanks for the replies. I've had the bins out a few times, but due to the audio it's much more complicated. Think I will try Caroline's suggestion first.
With regards to routing it in conduit iirc there's a central tunnel underneath I was thinking of putting it in there under the Matt's brace, but looking at some pictures online the fuel tank may prove difficult to get past.

Carolyn

Quote from: "lamcote"
Quote from: "Carolyn"I ran the wiring for my oil pressure gauge by taking off the side trim next to the bin behind the driver's seat and by popping off the bottom trim beneath the door.

That's exactly what I would do now, having removed the bins last weekend to run a reversing camera wire I can see that Carolyn's suggestion would be a lot easier. If you haven't had the bins out before it might be tricky to visualise how it will work but it definitely will so well worth trying because I reckon it's the best option.

I'm sure we can explain more details if required.

Carolyn, did you pierce the grommet to get the wire through or fit it through an existing hole?

I made a very small nick in the grommet, just enough to pull the wire through.  You have to 'fish around' a bit to get your hand on the welding wire, after that it's dead obvious.

Carolyn

Basically, take off the plastics that make up the door surround... I ended up taking off the one at the front as well, to get the wire where I wanted it to go.

wotugonado

Well I managed it..... Just
At one point I thought you were winding me up as it seemed impossible, i got the cable puller through the grommet easily enough but with the seatbelt and various wiring looms in the way I couldn't see it at all. At about the 10th try I spotted it and pulled it through with some long nosed pliers.
Fiddly and you need a bit of luck, but easier than dismantling the bins.
Thanks for the tip  s:D :D s:D

shnazzle

I reckon you could have taken the bins out 5x by your 3rs attempt at getting to that wire  s:) :) s:)
Maybe I'm exceedingly well-versed in removing the damn things as I've done it a billion times
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

It just occurred to me that a dab of white paint on the end of the pulling wire and a flashlight would make the job much more pleasant....

Perhaps now a 'how to' on threading a wire from the engine compartment.  I've got three extra wires and some plastic hose for a boost gauge all making that journey on the supercharger car.

wotugonado

Quote from: "shnazzle"I reckon you could have taken the bins out 5x by your 3rs attempt at getting to that wire  s:) :) s:)
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  yeah it seemed like I was p1ss1ng in the wind   s:D :D s:D , but if I had to take the audio out to then take the bins out it would have taken a lot longer

wotugonado

Over to you Carolyn for the "how too" Ive had about enough of fishing for cables for one day  s:D :D s:D  
I did use a headtorch and still couldn't see it.
Perseverance is the key I think, and staying calm. If I had a cat it would of got kicked !
Please feel free to put "remove all pets from the vicinity while carrying out the procedure" in your how too  s:) :) s:)

StuC

Will this job help with the advanced swearing badge Dan?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

wotugonado

Quote from: "StuC"Will this job help with the advanced swearing badge Dan?
Ahh mate I tell you it's a definite requirement, I think at one point I blushed at my own cursing.

StuC

Lol @ blushed!!  s;-) ;-) s;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Tags: