'04 Facelift Red MR2 Spyder

Started by mwilkes, October 17, 2017, 20:58

mwilkes

Aloha!

I'm Mike and I'm new to the forum (this is my 1st post   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  )

I have a 2004 MR2 Roadster, facelift in red. I bought the car back in February for 2k and it came with full service history (mostly Toyota), 10 months MOT, black powder coated alloys, lots of receipts and was overall in great condition!

I've absolutely loved the car since the moment I got it, great fun to drive and looks fantastic. I originally planned to get a Celica but so glad I went for the MR2.

Most of the pics are on my old phone but I got some from the weekend:

Not done a lot so far but hoping to make a few mods over the next few months with my 21st coming up hopefully should have a bit of money free!

Mods so far:

Midship badge
Private plates
Blue LED Number plate bulbs

Like I said, not done a lot so far   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

However I did restore the headlights which have made a massive difference IMO

Before:

After:

First thing on my list is a new clutch, started slipping pretty bad so need to get that sorted ASAP. Lucky I've got a dad with a kitted out workshop!

After that need to do a full service for it's MOT which is in December but I'll probably get it out the way next month.

Long term plans I'm looking to get a Cobra exhaust, make a diffuser, fit a spoiler and add replica TRD splitter/side skirts.

Hopefully will look something like this:

But yeah will post as much as possible once I start doing some work on the car.

Cheers,

andyroo104

Hi and welcome, nice looking car you have there.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

Bernie

Welcome along great start keep up the good work  :-) :-) :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Chilli Girl

My favourite colour, Chilli red. Look forward to seeing your future mods. Looks a very clean motor for the money, well done you & welcome!
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

mwilkes

Thanks a lot guys! appreciate it  s:D :D s:D

Looking forward to getting some more stuff done on it

mwilkes

Thanks a lot guys! appreciate it  s:D :D s:D

Looking forward to getting some more stuff done on it

smarty72

Love the black wheels against the chilli paint work.
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

Topdownman

Hi and welcome.

Looking tidy already!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

The Other Stu

Hi Mike and welcome  s:D :D s:D

Where abouts in the country can we normally find you?
No Longer Here

Garfy

Quote from: "The Other Stu"Hi Mike and welcome  s:D :D s:D

Hi Mike, welcome to he club  :-) :-) :-)

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Water cooled T25 turbo
Air to air intercooler
440cc injectors
ECU and electronic boost control
2.5" sports exhaust with twin tail pipes

mwilkes

Quote from: "Garfy"
Quote from: "The Other Stu"Hi Mike and welcome  s:D :D s:D

Hi Mike, welcome to he club  :-) :-) :-)

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the messages guys!   s:D :D s:D  

You'll find me in Glasgow, sometimes around the West coast too

mwilkes

I have a wee (probably stupid) question, if anyone can help?

Does the MR2 have a main beam light on the dash?

I've never seen a car that doesn't have one but mine doesn't seem to, it's not a big issue but something that's been bugging me for ages as I can't seem to find anything about it online

jonbill

Yes there's a blue thing lights up in the middle. Maybe you've got a bulb out.

mwilkes

Quote from: "jonbill"Yes there's a blue thing lights up in the middle. Maybe you've got a bulb out.

Cheers!

Think I do, my instrument panel's pretty dim, does anyone know what bulbs I need?

Don't wanna start taking it all apart and then find I've got the wrong ones lol

delhusband

bulb is part no 99132 YZZBJ at £0.45 ea. Holder is part no 83101 14040 at £2.94 ea
Hate pointy animals

mwilkes

Quote from: "delhusband"bulb is part no 99132 YZZBJ at £0.45 ea. Holder is part no 83101 14040 at £2.94 ea

Thanks mate! Much appreciated   s:) :) s:)

delhusband

Quote from: "mwilkes"Thanks mate! Much appreciated   s:) :) s:)
No worries. Changed mine after 1 failed after I removed instrument cluster. When I replaced it, it was really bright compared to remaining ones, so changed them all  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

mwilkes

Quote from: "delhusband"
Quote from: "mwilkes"Thanks mate! Much appreciated   s:) :) s:)
No worries. Changed mine after 1 failed after I removed instrument cluster. When I replaced it, it was really bright compared to remaining ones, so changed them all  s:) :) s:)

Yeah, think I'm just gonna go ahead and change them all too, half are out or dim anyway!

How easy was it to do? heard mixed things haha

delhusband

Quote from: "mwilkes"How easy was it to do? heard mixed things haha
It's an easy job. Have a look through my readers ride thread (link below): pull the plastic cowl of by hand, undo screws, undo 3 connectors, and then twist and pull the bulb holders out of the back of the  instrument panel (although like I said, I managed to blow a bulb!)
Hate pointy animals

mwilkes

So quick update!

Just really maintenance for now, the new clutch has arrived and all the service parts

Will be fitting it all next weekend ready for its MOT which I'll get out the way at the start of December

Will be fitting a new Exedy clutch, changing the oil, fuel and air filters, replacing the Spark plugs and doing a complete oil change

Hopefully this will get it running nice and smooth again   s:D :D s:D  

Only down-side was coming back from hiking at the weekend and a gritter decided to start spraying as soon as I overtook! Now my bonnets covered in stone chips so will be needing a respray next year

Chilli Girl

Gritters are my worse nightmare - I absolutely hate them!
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

mwilkes

Okay so after a long day yesterday and a better one today, the new clutch is fitted and full service complete!

The transmission took quite a bit longer than expected to get off but much easier putting back on! Took around 5-6 hours in total Fitted a new Exedy clutch

Changed all the filters (except the fuel filter as unfortunately too tight for time but will do at a later date), changed the oil to Castrol Edge 5W 30 and welded the sub frame.

After taking the plastics off there were more holes in the subframe than first thought and looks as if I'll need a new one but we've welded it for now so it can get through the MOT..

Unfortunately no before pics but here's the afters:

I know a few people have had issues with sub frame corrosion and unfortunately mines been hit pretty hard too...

I'm struggling to find any second hand facelift ones and only place I can find one is on MR2BEN but its £340 which would completely ruin my plans of getting an exhaust etc.. in the next month or so

Does anyone have one going or know where I can get one? I've emailed a couple of breakers but just waiting to hear back!

Cheers

s:D :D s:D

keeper2611

With the welding that you've done, from the pics that doesn't look too bad - there has been pics on here one hell of a lot worse than that
2002 Red pfl being slowly modified

mwilkes

Quote from: "keeper2611"With the welding that you've done, from the pics that doesn't look too bad - there has been pics on here one hell of a lot worse than that

It's not too bad there now but there's still quite a lot of rust on the rest, will probably need a new one to be safe! But that's very true hahaa, some are a bit too close to going completely   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

mwilkes

Put the car through its MOT last Monday.....

Passed first time no advisories!!! Hallelujah   s:D :D s:D  

Now it's time for the mods   s8) 8) s8)

Tags: