£350 to replace handbrake cables??

Started by mister bridger, November 1, 2017, 17:23

mister bridger

My 2001 MR2 failed it's MOT on poor handbrake effort. No problem I thought, just get the garage to do the tighten up trick. No, cables are seized and need to be replaced. Is it really THAT big a job? This is not a main dealer but an independent garage I have been using for more nearly 30 years.

JoeCool

I'd say it's fair to a bit pricey for just that job, if it includes the  new cables. It involves dropping the fuel tank. They've probably just taken book time and multiplied by their hourly labour charge. I'm not sure if there's a 'shortcut' way to do the job, it's not one I'd fancy attempting without a lift.

However, once the cables seize, they stop actuating the calipers properly, so then they seize too... When I got it done I just fitted new (well, refurbished) calipers to the rear as well, make a job lot of it.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Carolyn

Agree with Joe.  That's a bit on the pricey side, but not ridiculous.  I think there are some members who have had the job done for around £250.  Three hour job.  Seats out, various plastics out, lower petrol tank remove and replace cables, adjust, put interior back together.  When you figure in the cost of the cables and add on the good old vat, you can see how it mounts up.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Ardent

Mr B
Where are you based?
If you are in striking distance of Loughborough, give Steve at D1 Customs a call.
In our affiliates section. Highly recommended.
Or even just call him anyway to get a price.
At least you will know if your local garage is coming it, or overpriced the job if they don't fancy it.

ilovejapcrap

Not sure how much the cables are but I did in 2 hours on my drive !

Samuel

Same here. It's labor mainly. A lot of time needed to take the vehicle apart to get to the mounting bolt above the fuel tank.

mister bridger

OK, thanks. Bit long in the tooth now for lying on my back under cars so I'll let them get on with it. I do trust them as I've been taking classics there for yonks, and a lot simpler to get work and MOT done in one place.

Topdownman

Might be worth getting the cables yourself if the garage are ok with that to save the cost of the on the day parts van.

They may need to strip and clean the calipers too so the price may rise if the cables alone dont do the trick.

I have printed off how to's off here and left them in the car for the mechanics in the past, particularly about how to set up the rear calipers as plenty of garages get them wrong.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

cptspaulding

Bear in mind the genuine Toyota handbrake cables are £85 each & you're already £170 into the job. Leaves £180 = 3 hours? Not really all that pricey
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

m1tch

Just had a thought, has anyone looked into adding a maintenance access hole near to the location of the mounting point for the cable? Could then be covered using a large grommet?

Tags: