Engine Identification

Started by wallzaveerz, November 8, 2017, 10:55

wallzaveerz

So my troublesome engine is on the floor now and is about to be replaced with one that works, this is more out of curiosity than anything but is there anywhere I can check to identify where my broken engine came from?  Its not the original and i'm not convinced it even started its life in an MR2.

I've been through the engine number thread on here and my number doesn't even appear to resemble everybody elses.  There is the number 0636764 but it doesn't begin with 1zz, it does however have just ZZ stamped below the number, not on the same line.

JoeCool

There's basically only 1ZZ and 2ZZ in that engine format. And it won't be a 2ZZ.

The 1ZZ-fe went into everything 1.8 Litre for about 10 years, it could have come from literally anywhere! I'm not aware of any online search database that lets you search by serial number to find an engine origin. As far as I know only DVLA hold such records as part of the Vehicle ID Database.

You can obviously check your V5 to see if the engine number on that matches the one on your floor, if not then you know it's not original at any rate.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

wallzaveerz

I already know its not the original engine.  Its just so lacking in poke I'm wondering what mundane saloon or hatchback it began its life in.

Tags: