Clutch change costs....

Started by woodypk, December 2, 2017, 17:26

woodypk

Any one had one done recently. I know there's been a few prices thrown about but wondered if anyone has had one done recently - price of inflation and all.

I only ask because I've just been quoted £420 (estimated...?) by Noble. It seems rather steep to me. They coupled this price with a £540 (also estimated...?) tag on mapping the car.

My theory is that it's cold this time of year and places know people don't want to be out in the cold doing work on their car   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Also, what do you think about the "estimated" prices? What could it be that could possibly bump up the price of the map/clutch change?
Black W reg standard - Gone
Sable 06 Reg turbo - staying forever

If I were to add up how much I'd spent on my car, I still wouldn't be able to afford a new Vauxhall Corsa - And I know which one I'd rather have...

shnazzle

250 is about right
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Woody
I agree with you. They are having your pants down.
An LUK clutch kit as about £70.
Are they skimming the fly wheel into that?
How far are you from loughborough?
For the clutch, you would do well to make contact with Steve at D1 Customs.
See the affilates section.
Had mine done there, light and buttery smooth

woodypk

I've a since been talking to Steve at Megillian Motorsport who's agreed to do the clutch change for a much more reasonable price. Going to take it to him on Thursday and then take the car to get mapped by Noble once the clutch is sorted.

On a separate note.... if I was to map the car without a boost controller, if I wanted to later fit one to up the boost to 9-10 psi from stock spring pressure of 7psi, would the car need remapping? If so, I think I'll get the boost controller fitted and get them to set it to 9-10 psi to save me a separate remap cost and I can always turn it down if necessary.

If I were to add up how much I'd spent on my car, I still wouldn't be able to afford a new Vauxhall Corsa - And I know which one I'd rather have...

Ardent

Cannot help you on that one, Shnaz probably could, and certainly many others.
Might be worth doing another thread as the boost controller gurus will not be looking for that question in a clutch thread.

shnazzle

Map it with all intended mods.

Is your ecu MAP-based or MAF? Standalone or piggyback?
If they map it up to the load/airflow at 10psi then you can run any boost up to 10psi. If they map it to 7psi then it won't know what to do with fueling if you up to 10psi
You'd be relying on the knock sensor to try to retard timing a lot to try to keep you from blowing a rod  s:) :) s:)  Not good.

Install then remap
...neutiquam erro.

woodypk

It seems the boost controller guru has enlightened me.

It's a MAF and PFC ECU. I recently bought a £15 MBC but after doing a little research, I'm tempted to buy the £70 turbosmart one as it's a pretty critical piece of kit and I imagine a branded one will be more reliable...

Thanks guys.

shnazzle

Yeah throw the 15 quid one away. Unless boost spikes are your thing
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Pfc.. No knock sensor. Even more important to get it mapped haha
...neutiquam erro.

woodypk

I'm confused.... on the hand commander which you can buy with the PFC, I believe it has a display which shows knock levels and these can be further explored using the datalogit system my research leads me to believe. Can you explain what you mean by the PFC has no knock sensor?

shnazzle

I should have said no knock control. Basically it measures it using the stock sensor but doesn't do anything about it. So, it's kind of like your oil light on the car  s:) :) s:)

"By the way driver, you know when your piston shot out the bottom of your block? Yeah.. That was knock."
...neutiquam erro.

woodypk

Thanks for clearing that up. I've just ordered a Turbosmart Manual boost controller. I know its not as ideal as an electronic one but then again neither is my choice of ECU but I'll make it work. Many others have!

Will book it in with Noble for mapping as soon as the clutch is done and ask them to map it to 10psi. Fingers crossed.

Ardent

What clutch have you decided to go for?

woodypk

I've had a ACT HDSS sitting in my bedroom for around a month. I'm hoping it will do the trick. It's too late to send it back now.

Tags: