Drivehaft overhaul

Started by alackofspeed, December 7, 2017, 09:57

alackofspeed

Hi,

I have a drivetrain vibration when I put my 2zz swap 2003 MR2 under load in the lower gears. To my mind it's indicative of fairly standard wear in the driveshafts - perhaps a combination of wear in the tripods and cv joints.

With this in mind, I want to overhaul the rear shafts, however I'm aware that there were a number of iterations of the rear shafts, with varying CV and tripod geometries through the ZZW30 model's development.

I'm presuming that the joints and OS half shaft are common to a number of Toyota models, with the only MR2 specific parts being the outboard axle bars.
I'd be grateful for any advice that'll help me source the correct parts. Is there a list of CV joint part numbers somewhere with fitment dates, for instance?

Thanks in advance!

Joesson

Back in April I posted about replacing the grease in the CV joints of the driveshafts.
The OE grease was the consistency of gear oil at 15 years and 60 K so maybe not giving the best protection.
Your drivetrain vibration may be the result of even greater time/ mileage, and could be a reason for others to take a look at that part of their 2.

alackofspeed

I now have the joint numbers from Toyota. The problem looks to be that the components are OEM only!

Other than pleading poverty at a dealer, does anyone know of a good source of OEM parts at prices that aren't higher than the value of the car?

Toyota list the outer RH joint part number 43460-80012, lh outer joint as 43470-80028, and the inner joints as 43030-17030 (RH) and 43030-32080 (LH).

HRVMR2

My nearside/passenger shaft CV is clicking like there is no tomorrow, it was after I installed a new clutch I imagine I whacked it a bit too hard when I popped it out the box. I have got a replacement from a breakers, no idea of the age of it. Is it not just a case of an easy swap over? Anyone know the revisions Toyota did through the years?

Tags: