Hass Stage II turbo is here!

Started by Slacey, February 22, 2005, 18:51

markiii

nothing major to be honest, a couple of missing bits, small ones thankfully, it's amazing what you can improvise though.

looks liek the exhaust is going to keep coming out of it's hangers though just like mine did.

why Jay didn't put the nobbles on teh end of teh hangers is beyond me.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

TommyD

Just to let you guys know, I have just got back from Mark's in one piece. The car performed amazingly well considering it was it's first real trip of any distance. I even had stop start traffic for about an hour, no sign of any problems yet. Going to take some time to get used to the harnessed beast I now own.

As Mark has said no real problems of any magnitude. A missing coupler and a wonky exhaust. Slight hic-up on the wiring loom (not my fault I must add - just too quick with the pliers for my own good - that strangely enough sorted our problem). The manifold top coating lasted 2 miles of driving by the way!

Mark said it felt very solid first time out, and maybe a little quieter than than his own, probably due to the exhaust coating. I still need to load up the Thor map, as I am still running on stock e-manage, but boy does she fly even at Wastegate pressure.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  You certainly have to watch that second gear

Cheers Mark for your time and knowledge, I think we did an top job there. Thank Chris for all that lovely food and hospitality.
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

Anonymous

Many congrats Tom, and welcome to the Club Of Much Boostness  s8) 8) s8)  Just make sure you don't put it into a ditch in that second gear  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

My exhaust still hasn't come off at all, which I'm amazed at. Oh, and I've just been out searching for a soldering iron (no joy whatsoever  s:( :( s:(  ) and managed to comprehensively smoke a modded Celica GT4 off the lights. Considering I was shifting up at 4500 to avoid any knocking, that's not bad at all.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"searching for a soldering iron (no joy whatsoever  s:( :( s:(  )

There's a Maplin 10 miles from you in Chemlsford - they're bound to have them in stock (probably the only store that will these days, now Tandy are no more). Mail-order delivery is usually pretty snappy, too. Granted they're hardly the cheapest of places, but..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Is Dan the only one over here with the 'new' kit?
Could you take a pic of the engine bay from above?

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "Ekona"searching for a soldering iron (no joy whatsoever  s:( :( s:(  )

There's a Maplin 10 miles from you in Chemlsford - they're bound to have them in stock (probably the only store that will these days, now Tandy are no more). Mail-order delivery is usually pretty snappy, too. Granted they're hardly the cheapest of places, but..

Cheers Aaron, got one from Maplins in St. Evanage in the end (after a bit of confusion on the phone with Mark when I asked to borrow his!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol: ), and now all I need to do is to learn how to solder: Nothing's melting or sticking atm.  s:( :( s:(

Quote from: "RedRaceR"Is Dan the only one over here with the 'new' kit?
Could you take a pic of the engine bay from above?

Yup, I sure am. I'll get a decent photo for you tomorrow mate.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"Nothing's melting or sticking atm.  s:( :( s:(

You've plugged it in, right?  s;) ;) s;)

(sorry!)

What iron did you buy, and what solder? If it's hot and you're not using silver solder or something then it really ought to be melting.. although having said that, the tip on the last iron I bought was terrible. Did you get a 'nail head' tip or a flat tip?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

It's an Antex one. I'm using the solder that came with the kit (definately not silver solder), and it's a flat tip one.

I think I might need to put a bit of flux around the joint and tip to get things going.

Anonymous

Right, I give up. I can solder 2" copper pipe together without any trouble, but two little wires? Naaaaah.

I heat the gun up. I take two bare CAT5 copper wires and cross them around each other a bit. I apply the tip of the gun to the wire for about 15 secs, and it's still not hot enough to melt the damn solder!!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

If I touch the tip of the iron with the end of the solder, nothing happens, like it's not hot enough. Yet if I put a bit of flux on the end of the gun, it bubbles away like it's an inferno.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"looks liek the exhaust is going to keep coming out of it's hangers though just like mine did.why Jay didn't put the nobbles on the end of the hangers is beyond me.
Thanks for the reminder!
"Nobbles  s:D :D s:D  I callem Boogers

I added a 2nd hangar on the passenger side as well..

BenF

Quote from: "Ekona"Right, I give up. I can solder 2" copper pipe together without any trouble, but two little wires? Naaaaah.

I heat the gun up. I take two bare CAT5 copper wires and cross them around each other a bit. I apply the tip of the gun to the wire for about 15 secs, and it's still not hot enough to melt the damn solder!!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

If I touch the tip of the iron with the end of the solder, nothing happens, like it's not hot enough. Yet if I put a bit of flux on the end of the gun, it bubbles away like it's an inferno.

Just checking - it is definitely solder, isn't it? Its easy to pick up a reel of tinned copper wire that looks like solder instead of the real thing ..

If the wires are oxidised badly, you may need to clean them up a little with some fine grade sandpaper so the solder 'sticks' properly - or cover the ends of the wire in some flux, heat it up (don't breathe the fumes) and  they should then tin easily. Failing that, if you can get to Ipswich I don't mind giving you a hand?
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Anonymous

The solder is definately tin (well, 99.25% is), it just doesn't seem to stick. I get the feeling that as I didn't 'tin' the iron first (I didn't know I had to, until it was too late  s:oops: :oops: s:oops: ) that I've ruined a perfectly good soldering iron. I knew I should've had a go at this while I was still at school, all those years ago!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I think I may have to take you up on that offer Ben, don't suppose you're free tomorrow?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

99% tin!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Get some 60% tin 40%lead fine-thread (.032dia) rosin core.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Ekona"The solder is definately tin (well, 99.25% is), it just doesn't seem to stick. I get the feeling that as I didn't 'tin' the iron first (I didn't know I had to, until it was too late  s:oops: :oops: s:oops: ) that I've ruined a perfectly good soldering iron. I knew I should've had a go at this while I was still at school, all those years ago!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
You shouldn't have ruined it matey. Tin the tip of the iron, hold the iron on the cable cores and draw the solder into the cores by touching it against the end of the cable not on the iron  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

LeeUK

Dya need a hand Dan?  If so I'm in all day.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

Thanks buddy, but after a huge struggle I've managed to do it myself. It's not pretty, but I can confirm it works!  s:D :D s:D

Quick question: On the first set-up screen, is the throttle sensor type Normal or Reverse?

Anonymous

normal

Anonymous

Everything is in and working, but at the same time nothing is working.  s:( :( s:(

I have power everywhere, and all the cables are plugged in properly. I've set the boost level to Manual, 0% and 20 Gain, but if I floor it I get zero boost. Disconnecting the Profec gives me boost back, so there's definately something amiss. I didn't try the Auto learn function as no-one has managed to get it working yet, should I have tried that first?

Also the throttle input stays at 0%. I've set it up to read from the e-Manage, but it doesn't move. Am I missing something here, or is it possible I've got a bad solder joint when I tee'd into the RPM wire?

markiii

pop in and I'll upload seans boost settungs thet work for me
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

The auto learn feature is a waste of time on our cars. Like Mark said, inputting the values from mine (can't remember them off the top of my head) should work OK, although zeroing out the settings you have put in should also put the car back to normal, ie. base wastegate setting.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"although zeroing out the settings you have put in should also put the car back to normal, ie. base wastegate setting.

See, the manual would tend to agree with you there, so that's the first thing I tried, but I got zero boost (like the wastegate is stuck open).

If you can find 5 mins next weekend Mark I'll take you up on that offer of nicking Sean's settings.

Anonymous

I'd like to thank whomever canceled their post-maf conversion from Hass.
It was available to ship when I called and it's already on its way.

Thanks Mate whomever you are!

Slacey

Quote from: "barkingspyder"I'd like to thank whomever canceled their post-maf conversion from Hass.
It was available to ship when I called and it's already on its way.

Thanks Mate whomever you are!
That would be me - the shipping cost was $50 more than the cost of the parts! At $300 all in it was too rich for me.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Slacey,
What are you going to do instead? Local fabrication? Let me know if you need measurements?
Carl

Anonymous

Right, here's my situation as it stands:

Running on Jay's original map
Power is up
Idle is fine
Bogging at 1600-2200rpm is almost completely gone
No idea on any detonation as I have no idea what it sounds like
Light still on on the e-Manage
No CEL at all
Definately not running on only 3 cylinders  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Given that information, would you consider it safe to drive the car 160miles tomorrow and log the results, or should I leave it here and take another (more boring) vehicle?

Tags: