Blue PFL V8 conversion

Started by 8thumpers, January 14, 2018, 00:39

8thumpers

At the Office end the Audi gear lever housing has had a couple of brackets made to locate it into the MR2 mounting holes.
These holes are just 2mm out of line between the two shift cages - I have been lucky here! I like it when things pretty much fit!

8thumpers

I know it sounds mad but I am suprised how much room there is around the engine bay.... I think it will be very easy to get to most components when it's all done - probably easier than the original installation!

8thumpers

While on the topic of gear shaft routing...

At the front of the engine I'll have to fabricate an alternator bracket, which will incorporate a second shaft support guide...

8thumpers

8thumpers

Engine x member and mounts finally in their correct positions.
I'll clean them up and tac them in place before stripping down again and tig welding.

The engine mount plates will eventually have bolts in place of the threaded bar, which is great for determining length and position. The rear of the plate will have 4mm wall tube spacer back to the block.
I was very keen to get 3# bolts to the engine for triangulation reasons.

The pu mounts themselves are sold as Capri, or Landrover items. They looked about right.

8thumpers

The other hub was machined last night...
Still needs building up with weld before final machining to correct shape to fit in the coil over leg.
The process is similar to how they re-profile camshafts.

StuC

Something satisfying about a big pile of swarf and a shiny machined surface. :)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

jvanzyl

So in terms of the tools that you DONT have... what's on the wish list??

8thumpers

Quote from: jvanzyl on June 29, 2018, 08:45
So in terms of the tools that you DONT have... what's on the wish list??
A post lift... single or 2...
I have access to some good people with some good equipment. It's not what you own, but who you know!

MrT

We all need a 2 post lift at home! Wish I had power in my lockup garage, I'd have a scissor lift in there for sure. Friend of mine had a manual scissor lift that was operated by a drill so big battery drill would run it up and down, almost ideal!
Cheers
Tyler

RIPieces: Sable \'05 Roadster \'Red\' edition.
Project: MR-S import (JDM) now my toy and mule for:
SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion
AND rebody with a fibreglass replica of Porsche 550 Spyder.

8thumpers

A quick update on those modified ball joints I cut up to take a rose joint...
They have been TIG welded and I'm pretty pleased with the end result - a strong connection.
I'll keep an eye on this when it's in use and see if it needs modifying with r&d.
Time will tell.

8thumpers

To give you guys an idea of the rear hub carrier work, I have positioned the offside hub in it's approximate place.
The new bearing and hub fits perfectly as anticipated. I have zippied the carrier leg to the bottom of the coil-over but it's not a million miles away from the fitting position.

The great thing with the MiesterR shocks is the ability to adjust the ride height independently to the spring seat. This means that in my conversion, I don't have to worry about critical vertical positions of the shock hole bolts thru the carrier leg.

8thumpers

The last job I've done tonight  is fabricating the gearbox mounts. The nearside one is tacked up and ready for tig welding.

The top of the U bracket will be useful when it comes to fitting the gear link guide.

It's really not far off supporting the whole engine/gearbox on the x members....

jvanzyl

It's so close!!!
How hard do you think it would be to reproduce all the bits you've made for another person who wanted to make the conversion?

8thumpers

Quote from: jvanzyl on June 30, 2018, 00:29
It's so close!!!
How hard do you think it would be to reproduce all the bits you've made for another person who wanted to make the conversion?
Quite simple... most are on CAD
If there is demand then I'd make a kit for sure.

jvanzyl

Quote from: 8thumpers on June 30, 2018, 08:10
Quote from: jvanzyl on June 30, 2018, 00:29
It's so close!!!
Quite simple... most are on CAD
If there is demand then I'd make a kit for sure.

And the internet collectively drops what they're doing and starts to Google 4.2 Audi v8's!!!
It would be amazing for a kit to be made....

StuC

Coming together nicely.

Lovin the dedication you are still showing to get it finished. :)
Big milestone to get the power train self supporting and the suspension sorted.

MrT

Quote from: 8thumpers on June 29, 2018, 23:09
A quick update on those modified ball joints I cut up to take a rose joint...
They have been TIG welded and I'm pretty pleased with the end result - a strong connection.
I'll keep an eye on this when it's in use and see if it needs modifying with r&d.
Time will tell.

Are they welded inside the bracket area in that last pic? That was my only recommendation but as you said you have plenty experience doing these so are on top of it ;)
Cheers
Tyler

SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion

MrT

Quote from: 8thumpers on June 29, 2018, 23:16
To give you guys an idea of the rear hub carrier work, I have positioned the offside hub in it's approximate place.
The new bearing and hub fits perfectly as anticipated. I have zippied the carrier leg to the bottom of the coil-over but it's not a million miles away from the fitting position.

The great thing with the MiesterR shocks is the ability to adjust the ride height independently to the spring seat. This means that in my conversion, I don't have to worry about critical vertical positions of the shock hole bolts thru the carrier leg.

Agreed but looking at your photo position if it's nearly right you're going to risk impinging on spring preload adjustment range. Also, not wanting to mod the new damper parts, the adjustable lower section of the shock with hub bracket looks quite long, you could shorten that to give more height to the spring seat collars and have room you need. And they appear to be threaded right through so only need shortening on top and cut square which a man with your tools could do in no time.

Looking good so far.
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

Quote from: 8thumpers on June 29, 2018, 23:20
The last job I've done tonight  is fabricating the gearbox mounts. The nearside one is tacked up and ready for tig welding.

The top of the U bracket will be useful when it comes to fitting the gear link guide.

It's really not far off supporting the whole engine/gearbox on the x members....

I take it you aren't using this rear mount on the gearbox in the right of the photo? Will the motor mounts be able to resist torque or have you not fabricated a torque arm for the motor yet? I thought of connecting at the strut brace central bolting points and even integrated into the strut brace.

That hulking great motor just worries me on account of how much more torque it is going to produce compared to any stock or modified MR2 especially since it is now longitudinal not transverse so the chassis is not designed for that level of torque in those directions. Might twist the chassis drag racing/launching... Make for a cool video though.
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

PS apologies if I'm telling you how to build your own car or suck eggs... Can't silence the engineer within.
Cheers
Tyler

StuC

Quote from: MrT on June 30, 2018, 12:20
Can't silence the engineer within.

Amen to that!! If you are like me, you just can't switch it off!! (To the annoyance of my wife!!)

8thumpers

Quote from: MrT on June 30, 2018, 12:20
PS apologies if I'm telling you how to build your own car or suck eggs... Can't silence the engineer within.
No not all - I'm always open to advice etc..
Yes I will be using the rear mount too. That will be incorporated into the rear bar that bolts on to the end of the chassis rail.
The torque arrester is offset on the front of the engine. I need to fabricate a mount there when I address the bulkhead. I'll get a pic....
Audi obviously had thought of this as it's their oem mount.

8thumpers

Thought I'd better do a little update...

Made a new cage to support the Audi gearshifter. With minimal fettling the original centre handbrake/gearshift  cover will fit over it.
New gear rod is located in a couple of bushes where the old cables passed thru the bulkhead. This will connect to the rear gear rod (via 2 UJs) which goes behind the left engine mount and off to rear linkage.

Joesson

That seems a long way for a rod linkage. But, you won't be needing many gear changes with all that torque available!

Tags: