MrT's mod log

Started by MrT, February 17, 2018, 22:06

MrT

Well a quick update. I managed a couple hours to fit my new dash cubby. Firstly thanks to Danny on Facebook page for the great service. Brand new unit from the homeland and it's perfect. Only missing item was some screws and fitting instructions. Hopefully this might help someone else in future.

So removing airbag, all safety precautions are advised and I take no responsibility for you discharging your airbag mistakenly. Disconnect the battery and ideally cycle the ignition to train any charge in the electrics. I didn't do any of these though...

So anyway, the airbag is held in by a main 12mm hex bolt plainly obvious when you pull the main cubby out. I didn't actually take a picture of it but here it is later on.

Next on either side of the airbag are 2 10mm hex head nuts that can be reached with an extension on a socket or driver handle. No pics unfortunately, I was rather zealous when it was coming apart so well. There is also the support bar that bolts on with a 10mm bolt besides the main airbag bolt that needs to be removed to give a little more wiggle room.

The top dash cover panel also clips into the dash so needs a little gentle prying to loosen it before you can fiddle the airbag up. Don't forget to disconnect the cable on the right side from through the cubby opening. Plenty room. Then with the fasteners removed and top cover coming loose the trick is to lift the front edge (facing you, not front of car) and lift the left side up clear of the dash edge to slip the airbag up and out. Gently and patiently does it as the dash plastic is soft and can damage easily.

Now before fitting the dash cubby there are 2 mounts on the underside of the dashboard that take course thread screws, they are like long tubes with side bracing protruding off the underside of the dash. I couldn't get a very clear pic. Screw these in 80% of the way and remove them again to make fitting them later easier by finger initially.

Also, the main lug on the dash cubby doesn't clear the mounting bracket, perhaps it's different on the pfl but anyway. Here is how you trim it, the right side needs to be rounded off with about 5mm of wall thickness around the hole to maintain its strength and the side bracing must be trimmed also, thus:

TBC...
Cheers
Tyler

RIPieces: Sable \'05 Roadster \'Red\' edition.
Project: MR-S import (JDM) now my toy and mule for:
SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion
AND rebody with a fibreglass replica of Porsche 550 Spyder.

MrT

Now we mustn't forget fitting a resistor to the airbag connector to avoid any warning lights... I got one from Maplin, 3ohm, 7watt ceramic as shown. I heat wrapped the wires and wrapped them round then wrapped the whole resistor thus:

I then inserted the ends into the connector and taped the resistor to the connector and tucked it behind the side panel in the dash.

TBC...
Cheers
Tyler

SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion

MrT

Now to fitting the dash cubby. The cubby is longer than the opening in the dash and right hand side tucks in under the dash. So you must slot the right side in under the dash before pushing it along and down. Now the tricky bit is whilst lowering the cubby into the hole, ensure the cubby edges that clip into the dashboard and manoeuvre the main mount bracket bast it's fastening bracket on the dash bar underneath. Pics speak a 1000 words so have a look below.

I didn't get any pics whilst wiggling it in unfortunately.

Then loosely fit the main bolt and little bracket bolt beside it. Then fit and tighten the 2 side bolts. I lay on my back in the passenger seat, head in the footwell with a torch and a long extension on the driver to get the right side screw in, was alot easier than expected from that position. The left side (right when on your back under dash) is easy to get to and I actually kneeled in from outside the car and it was easier.

Once these are tightened gently, tighten the main bolt and bracket bolt and it's in! Fit the main cubby and all finished. Surprisingly alot of space in there.

If anybody wants any info let me know.
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

I nipped out this evening and fitted read mud flaps, undecided how they look but they disappear against the tyres anyway so we'll see.

Easy to fit, needed to drill a hole for one mount and I just screwed straight into the bumper. I jacked up the rear of the car to full droop to get enough room between tyre and bumper, just lazy and quick...

Then there's already a hole at the bottom for the second mount and I fitted some salvaged screw clips to the bumper to fasten to, rock solid.

Then only trick was screwing other screw in. And tighten up.

Cheers
Tyler

ilovejapcrap

Quote from: MrT on May 12, 2018, 19:01

That's cool is it standard in Japan or something or not actually a Toyota part ?

dan944

Quote from: MrT on May 12, 2018, 19:01
Now to fitting the dash cubby. The cubby is longer than the opening in the dash and right hand side tucks in under the dash. So you must slot the right side in under the dash before pushing it along and down. Now the tricky bit is whilst lowering the cubby into the hole, ensure the cubby edges that clip into the dashboard and manoeuvre the main mount bracket bast it's fastening bracket on the dash bar underneath. Pics speak a 1000 words so have a look below.

I didn't get any pics whilst wiggling it in unfortunately.

Then loosely fit the main bolt and little bracket bolt beside it. Then fit and tighten the 2 side bolts. I lay on my back in the passenger seat, head in the footwell with a torch and a long extension on the driver to get the right side screw in, was alot easier than expected from that position. The left side (right when on your back under dash) is easy to get to and I actually kneeled in from outside the car and it was easier.

Once these are tightened gently, tighten the main bolt and bracket bolt and it's in! Fit the main cubby and all finished. Surprisingly alot of space in there.

Also love this. Could do with reclaiming a little storage.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

MrT

It is a Toyota part.but I believe only optional. I didn't seek it out, found it on Facebook group. Danny Joyce imports Japanese parts and had this. If you ask he might find some more for you. This was new old stock. And the quality shows, matches dash etc brilliantly. And lots of space! Just no lock if that bothers you.
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

Meant to post earlier, nipped out Tuesday to swap over my OMP steering wheel, and the horn arrived today so just got that fitted now also.

Cheers
Tyler

MrT

Note to self: fitted solid gear cage spacers, polybush suspension arms plus spherical bush.
Cheers
Tyler

Akayfortyseven

What boss have you got MrT?

MrT

I don't recall the make. It is a solid cast unit, was advertised for a different vehicle but I checked spline matched etc. Only issue was clearance to the white connector for the horn wire but I removed the connector and removed the wire, insulated the small connector on the wire and simply plugged that in on its own.
Cheers
Tyler

Akayfortyseven

Any issues with indicator cancelling etc? Ive seen a few that done cover the hole in the steering cowling and need the 'squib' removed, was yours just plug and play other than the horn?

MrT

Just bolt right on, wire in the horn and something for the airbag and go. No effect on anything else, steering wheel is further from stalks a bit but suits my larger hands.
Cheers
Tyler

Akayfortyseven

If you have any pointers at all on what car it was for/make it would be much apprieciated!

MrT

Genuine MOMO steering wheel hub boss kit MK7733R off eBay. That's all I can preview in my purchases as it was a while back. Might have actually been meant for the 2 after all, apologies.
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

FYI eBay item number 162947246845. I have no affiliation to eBay or the seller of this product and simply offer this for your information.
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

Right so I bought a new (to me) HKS / Blitz back box from Facebook, fitted it same night, really pleased with the performance and sound. Not so keen on the tip!
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

How to carry a garden waste bin in an MR2...

Seat and hard top removed of course... Needs must!
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

Well today was eventful. I realised after checking on Tuesday that my MOT has lapsed in May so she was rushed in to the garage today with no prep and only a handbrake adjustment on one side to pass with no other findings! Can't complain about that!

Then this arrived yesterday and I got it home today as well and SWMBO allowed me to crawl under the (now half lowered) MR2 and fit it.

What a great item. I can't wait for the commute tomorrow to see how the car feels scurrying over these broken roads.

PS: I refer to half lowering because I've fitted rear dampers with Koni inserts and Tein springs. Rides well, I might trim the bumps for a bit more free travel. Fronts are waiting to go on, maybe this weekend. It shows up the difference in control of the old stock shocks and the new Konis cause the front end skips and hops up over bumps but the rear just squats and keeps taking the hits. I'll be glad to have the front doing the same and have some control and comfort back. I'll post more once fitted.

Saggy bottom...
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

Well, it's been a long time since I've posted. I got the front dampers fitted shortly after and I can highly recommend them with tein springs. Car is a good height and I fitted Vauxhall Vectra (I think) front bump stops for more travel and with only a little damping set the ride is smooth and comfortable, no jacking down on bumps etc and flat in the corners. Turn up the damping and you can have firm, stiff and even solid suspension so on a glassy track it'd be perfect but for my commuting I am very pleased too. Totally stable and responsive to steering input even into 3 figure speeds with high cross winds.

But of a laugh also, I've long missed my Rav4 swb and having space and flexibility of it compared to the roadster. But every time I build up to convincing myself I need another one, I go and prove myself unjustified. Even to the point recently of having the spare wheel on the rear of the car on show...

So it's winter tyre season, and I needed to pickup a set of 18" tyres on rims for my wife's SUV. So passenger seat out and off I go, confident I can squeeze  them inside the car but knowing I might need to throw one on the back to get them all home. Ala Rav4:

And if that wasn't enough, I needed to play switcheroo with the 2's winter tyres, so how to transport 3 sets of wheels in a roadster? One set on the car (cheating already), 6 in the car and 2 on the back. Dakar rally anyone?

Oh and then I was returning with 2 full sets and a split set, rims and tyres separate...

I know, I'm nuts. But needs must. No justifying a second Rav4 to SWMBO... Ah well, at least I can spend a bit more time on mods for the 2 instead.

I have side scoops and a rear wing to fit, plus a sub enclosure to build and sound system to fit. I also have a navpod but I can't decide to fit a headunit or tablet to run as radio/entertainment/nav. And I have a plan to modify some stock seats to slim them down to give more leg room and tweak the support and comfort for my large frame.

Plus maybe a headlight upgrade for the dark winter months, retrofitting projector hid lights to pfl headlights with led DRL lights built in.

And a 1 piece plastic sheet under tray from bumper to bumper integrating diffuser functionality.

The list never gets shorter...
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

Oh I bought a headlight restoration kit from Euro Car Parts, green box. WOW, fantastic kit. Follow it precisely for near flawless results. Totally transformed my lights. Except I can see how dirty the inside surface is now and can't clean them...
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

PS, the tie strap/ropes holding the wheels on were strapped to the solid fixed hardtop brackets so safe and strong, don't worry.
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

RIP my little rocket...

She will live again in spirit though!
Cheers
Tyler

delhusband

Oh yikes, what happened? Hoping no injury.  :( sorry to see that
Hate pointy animals

MrT

Quote from: delhusband on December  3, 2018, 12:35
Oh yikes, what happened? Hoping no injury.  :( sorry to see that
Thanks @delhusband.

No injuries, miraculously. On motorway in fast lane at dusk/just before dark when the headlight glare blends with everything else and road started turning but car did its job and continued straight, when it ran over the rumbles I startled and corrected left, quickly over correcting back into the lane again and accidentally executed a perfect Scandinavian flick...

Unfortunately those are designed for corners and when the car turned right the nose hammered the central Armco barrier and  put it into a spin till the rear did the same (me naturally trying to catch the spin but with no steering...) And spun once or twice more buy staying in the fast lane and stopping transverse to traffic flow.

Happened in about 5 secs so was over before I figured out what was happening. Nobody else involved thankfully as I could have been piled upon by hoards of other commuters, statistically almost impossible that it happened that way. Just God's hand taking care of me again.

Mrs wasn't impressed I've trashed another car but she hated it, apparently it was my mistress, not sure where she got that idea. I have a spare though so I'll salvage the good bits and rebuild the spare to drive another day...

Thanks for the concern.
Cheers
Tyler

Tags: