Tte turbo reference

Started by wotugonado, March 11, 2018, 14:21

Ardent

Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on August  1, 2020, 12:57Did anyone of you change the stock silencer with a free flowing one? How does it affect boost and/or the engine management? Maybe not at all since the stock cat is the worst bottleneck?
In terms of boost I have no idea, as I have no boost gauge. In terms or engine management, I trust the Mr T Piggy back ECU to sort it all out. I cannot feel any more or less.
In terms of bottle necks, this my depend on what zorst system is currently fitted. Stock, TTE or after market.

In terms of your question. I have changed my silencer for a free flowing one. My bum dyno, anecdotal opinion is, it offers no more than what it can produce. No increase in torque or bhp. But, it gives what it can, earlier.

Petrus

Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on August  1, 2020, 12:57Did anyone of you change the stock silencer with a free flowing one? How does it affect boost and/or the engine management? Maybe not at all since the stock cat is the worst bottleneck?

First you need to remember how the turbocompressor works and then that the pressure is reglated by a boost control valve opening when the set max is reached.
The latter is governed by the difference in inlet manifold pressure and ambient air pressure. This does not change whatever you do with the exhaust after the turbo.
This in turn means that the max torque and hp are set too as they are the result of the amount of boost.
Thus whatever you do with the exhaust after the turbo does not affect max torque nor max power.

However. With a better flow through the exhaust the compressor has less resistance to expell the exhaust gasses. It can spool up quicker. The max boost wil be reached easier and earlier.
Less resistance in the exhaust will thus see the max torque and power reached quicker and earlier.

A side effect is less heat. A faster flow through the exhaust will result in a drop in exhaust system temp. Even lower turbo temp. Thus a slightly cooler inlet temp. This will cause less temp. stress on the engine.

The TTE damper is not a performance option. It is looks and sound. Even the stock engine is at best not throttled by it. It has no place on a turbo; the stock pot is less restricting.

The last thing is that a turbo is a véry effective and efficient sound damper. It used energy in the exhaust gas to do work; to compress the intake air. This work means that the exhaust gas leaving the turbo has significanty less energy even though the boosted inlet has the engine produce more power.
As such the turboed engine needs a lot less muffling so a less restrictive exhaust will not be as noisy as on an n.a. engine.

Bugster_MR2

Petrus was quite right. Replacing TTE silencer with Team Moon Duals (which normally is very noisy) didn't change the noise/tone that much really.

Maybe I've been sleeping during class, but I did not realise untill now that there is a cat in the pipe between the turbo and the downpipe on TTE turbos.
Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

shnazzle

Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on February 23, 2021, 21:46Petrus was quite right. Replacing TTE silencer with Team Moon Duals (which normally is very noisy) didn't change the noise/tone that much really.

Maybe I've been sleeping during class, but I did not realise untill now that there is a cat in the pipe between the turbo and the downpipe on TTE turbos.
Such a well-designed bit of kit. Every time I see it I can't help  but appreciate it
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on February 23, 2021, 21:46Petrus was quite right. Replacing TTE silencer with Team Moon Duals (which normally is very noisy) didn't change the noise/tone that much really.

I believe technically still a pre-cat,
 rather than a full fat cat.

Tags: