davethediscoman

hi ,what could cause these readings.
fast idle co 2.99%
             hc 876 ppm

2nd fast idle      co 1.76
                        hc250 ppm

jonbill

It's what Carolyn said.
If you replace the cat you might get through the MOT for another few years.

mot fail high emissions
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=15578&share_tid=64784&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emr2roc%2Eorg%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D64784&share_type=t

davethediscoman

what happens to the cat does it just get clogged up ?

Call the midlife!

Aside to Carolynne's earlier sound advice, do you still have the pre cats in the exhaust manifold?
Regarding your question though, cats are mainly ceramic inside, the oil clogs the ceramic pores and stops them "converting".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

davethediscoman

to be honest i dont know much about the car engine ect i just like to drive it .

Call the midlife!

Quote from: davethediscoman on March 22, 2018, 21:50
to be honest i dont know much about the car engine ect i just like to drive it .
That's a fair comment [emoji38]

delhusband

In a similar position my good man, you're not alone :)
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on March 22, 2018, 23:08
In a similar position my good man, you're not alone :)
Err? You Sir, know more than enough!

Ardent

Dave
Where you based?

Carolyn

Dave, check out 'Cats2U'.  £120 -£130 depending on offer... for replacement cat.  Quite a few members have used them with good results.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

davethediscoman

Hi,and thank you all for. You sound advice.i am based nr Canterbury. Am I right that the cat that's the problem is the middle section of exhaust?. I have a friend that works in trade that can get a good quality one for£ 98 plus vat.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: davethediscoman on March 23, 2018, 17:13
Hi,and thank you all for. You sound advice.i am based nr Canterbury. Am I right that the cat that's the problem is the middle section of exhaust?. I have a friend that works in trade that can get a good quality one for£ 98 plus vat.
Cats2u current price is £130 plus £9 delivery but that includes a fitting kit they sell separately for £18 so it depends if you're getting the same fitting kit from your friend?

jonbill

Yes the cat is the section before the large silencer.
£98 is a good price.

jonbill

Yes thats the one.

davethediscoman

Just to throw in this, it's now throwing a fault code for O2 sensor. On pre cat. Would this now be telling me that that could now be problem, or is it part of what we have already talked about?

Call the midlife!

Quote from: davethediscoman on March 24, 2018, 11:53
Just to throw in this, it's now throwing a fault code for O2 sensor. On pre cat. Would this now be telling me that that could now be problem, or is it part of what we have already talked about?
If you haven't already Dave, have a read through the information in the workshop.
Forums-workshop-maintenance precats etc. It'll give you an idea of the common problems, causes and fixes.
After that you'll have a better idea of the questions you still need answers to.
I'd get yourself an OBD2 code reader too, very inexpensive and worth the weight in gold.

Carolyn

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 24, 2018, 12:48
If you haven't already Dave, have a read through the information in the workshop.
Forums-workshop-maintenance precats etc. It'll give you an idea of the common problems, causes and fixes.
After that you'll have a better idea of the questions you still need answers to.
I'd get yourself an OBD2 code reader too, very inexpensive and worth the weight in gold.

I suspect Dave has a code reader, as I can't think how else he'd know it's a sensor fault.

Dave: post the fault number so we can assist.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on March 24, 2018, 13:19
Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 24, 2018, 12:48

I suspect Dave has a code reader, as I can't think how else he'd know it's a sensor fault.

Dave: post the fault number so we can assist.
True, I've been spending money this morning, it always tires me out [emoji23]

davethediscoman

Yes I have a code reader, I cleared the codes and since they have not come up again. So I don't know what or why it did do that this morning.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: davethediscoman on March 24, 2018, 18:17
Yes I have a code reader, I cleared the codes and since they have not come up again. So I don't know what or why it did do that this morning.
Can sometimes take a couple of drives for the ECU to decide it's still not happy so don't be surprised if it comes back.
Can you remember what the code was?

davethediscoman

davethediscoman

It takes me to the net to find it. Pre cat sensor it was saying.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: davethediscoman on March 24, 2018, 19:23
It takes me to the net to find it. Pre cat sensor it was saying.
Depends on the actual code really, wether the actual sensor is fubar or the heater that comes on until the exhaust gases warm it up enough to work properly.
I'm far from expert but I wouldn't think one failed O2 sensor would give you those emissions, especially if it's nice and hot.
Lumps of degrading pre cat might give duff O2 readings but that's a different story.

shnazzle

Duff o2 can most certainly make you fail MOT. Easily.

High HC is running rich (or stupid lean), if o2 sensor is reading lean incorrectly, it will be telling the ecu to dump fuel in,making it run rich as hell and give you insane hc levels like 800+
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: