Leaky interior

Started by ad_car_08, March 25, 2018, 13:38

ad_car_08

Hi all,

I've been scratching my head over a problem I have with some mysterious puddling in my rear bins.
Now, I know what you're going to say...clear your drains...thing is the interior is completely stripped so all I can see is metalwork.
I used to get water in both my bins before I properly secured my hard top to the car, and put it down to the rubber not sealing properly. The soft top has been removed, and the hard top is now securely and permanently attached to the car via the rogue motorsport brackets.
I've even installed damp extractors (which do very slowly fill up), thinking condensation has accumulating on the rear screen and dripping into the rear bins, but it's weird that the passenger side bin is now dry and the only the drivers side puddling.

It's a bit concerning because even though I keep getting rid of it, surface rust is now evident and I'm worried it's going to snowball to more serious rust.

Has anyone come across this before, and/or have any pearls of wisdom?
Many thanks
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

StuC

I had something similar, but it was relative to the a drain bag failure. Which it sound like you have removed.

Any chance of you being able to take some pics of your current set up in the rear of the cabin?
I am curious what you have done around the drain holes etc.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

ad_car_08

Just trying to attach some pictures... :-\
[/size]

StuC

It's easier on Tapatalk.

If not using that you might need to resize them.

ad_car_08

[/size]

StuC

That hole...

Is where the drain plug goes. How have you sealed that?

ad_car_08

What whopping big hole with the 3 notches cut out?
I remember the tube going in there but I didn't think anything could come out of it? If I stick my finger in it, I can't feel anything around it?
[/size]

StuC

I believe if you take the vents off the sides you'll see daylight.

ad_car_08

The car hasn't moved in months though. I still can't understand how the water has got in.
That hole is directly behind where the side vent is...the rain would have to go back on itself to get into the car?!  :-\
[/size]

wotugonado

If and buts, but my vents completely filled with snow, could of got in as snow then melted. I'd seal them up either way.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

StuC

As a known path to the exterior I agree with Dan hat it would be good to get it sealed up. It will eliminate it as a suspect if nothing else.

My other suggestion is to sit in the car whilst someone else gets a hose pipe to it.
There are only so many leak paths high enough to fill the bottom of the bin cavity. Have a go on that as report back.
Sometimes you can use talcum powder to track leaks, you might spy it with having to resort to have a fragrant interior though! ;)

ad_car_08

Thanks Stu, I appreciate your replies.
I've taped the holes up and will keep an eye on it over the next few days!
[/size]

ad_car_08

Checked the car today...

...still a puddle has emerged (albeit small). I just can't understand where it's coming from?!
[/size]

StuC

Have you driven it at all?
Is the car parked on a slope?

ad_car_08

The car's not moved since last August / September (?) time, and parked on a flat surface  :-\
[/size]

StuC

That helps, as you can eliminate all the areas below the puddle. :)

Looks to me like you need to do some in vehicle testing. 8)
Make a note of how much water you have (visually). Then, look at all the panels/seals/etc. above the area of the puddle. There are only so many places it can come from!
Get the puddle dried up.
Then have at it with a hose pipe, preferably with you on the inside.
Try to work systematically and slowing along the areas you feel it could come from. Observe carefully and you should find your leak.
If you are doing it on your own, section off areas. Then test and observe before moving on to the next area.

Its a slow game I am afraid. Liberal doses of patience.

wotugonado

Water is a pita to chase up, I think you should take Stu c advice and get someone to soak it whilst your inside looking for the leak.
If you want to be super efficient, get some Fluorescein add it to the water and target specific parts of the car one at a time, sit, wait and watch, it's a yellow luminous dye so stands out a mile, we use it for chasing water leaks at work, and it works a treat. Maybe test a small area of paint work first and wash it off before it drys

ad_car_08

The mystery continues...
I found some splashes/water droplets around this hole I've circled in red. How in blue blazes does water get here?!? Lol

[/size]

StuC

@ad_car_08 is that in general or with the spray test?

ad_car_08

In general. Not been able to rope the wife into my investigation yet. I've taped those holes up on both sides and will take a look later to see if there are any puddles or anything has happened
[/size]

ad_car_08

Yup.. STILL puddles!!  (:< >:)
Water must literally be defying the laws of physics.. !!
[/size]

StuC

What volume of water are we talking over what period of time here Adam?

ad_car_08

Well, I came home from a long weekend away (purposely making sure the bins were empty and dry before I left) to find the duck tape that was covering the red circled area above, lying in a puddle of water. Puddle must have been about the size of your fist and a few mm deep. Granted not all that much water/deep, but it's still there...

I'm convinced the water has come from that circled area, having seen droplets around it before, and now the tape actually blown off. The larger area I taped over, where the drain would normally secure is untouched.

Part of me just wants to squeeze some silicone in the hole, but if I bung it up, where does the water sit and will it rust away from the inside  :(
[/size]

wotugonado

Iirc the soft top drains drain direct into the inner rear wing and then disperse the water. If that's the case then it shouldn't matter if you block that hole  up with silicone.

StuC

If you take the side vent off can you get to the back of this joint?

@wotugonado tend to agree with your draining into the sill comment. IF there where the new water path will go. For my money I'd want to see where it's coming from. IMHO this is a symptom of something else.

Tags: