Help..... broke down at Tesco’s...advice needed

Started by chalced, April 22, 2018, 16:03

chalced

Annoyingly broke down at Tesco's earlier today and had to be towed back home !

Car is turning over ok, but not firing up. Can smell petrol when cranking, so think fuel is getting through ok, but perhaps not sparking?

Has anyone else had similar issues or any idea where to start looking when I get time to get my head under the bonnet ?

BTw .... central locking hasn't been working for a while, but don't think that would be anything associated with it unless it affects the immobiliser?

Cheers.

Mel

Joesson

Sorry to hear that.
Not starting again, after running ok? on the occasions when it happened to me I found to be timing related, but in retrospect there had been previous audible indication of trouble brewing.
Hopefully not the cause of your dilemma, as you say you can smell fuel then sparks would typically be the next thing to check.

tomaky

Quote from: chalced on April 22, 2018, 16:03

Car is turning over ok, but not firing up. Can smell petrol when cranking, so think fuel is getting through ok, but perhaps not sparking?

Has anyone else had similar issues or any idea where to start looking when I get time to get my head under the bonnet ?

BTw .... central locking hasn't been working for a while, but don't think that would be anything associated with it unless it affects the immobiliser?

Cheers.

Mel
Could be immobiliser. Don't think the chip works in the remote if the battery is dud. Could be that the central locking hasn't been working g when the battery is cold.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Call the midlife!

Quote from: tomaky on April 22, 2018, 17:05

Cheers.

Mel
Could be immobiliser. Don't think the chip works in the remote if the battery is dud. Could be that the central locking hasn't been working g when the battery is cold.

Immobiliser cuts the fuel pump though doesn't it Tom? So if there's a smell of fuel you'd assume it's not the immobiliser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

jonbill

Ignition timing light is an easy way to tell if it's sparking and whether the sparks are at the right time.
Not much help if you haven't got a timing light I know [emoji849]

Carolyn

Quote from: jonbill on April 22, 2018, 18:14
Ignition timing light is an easy way to tell if it's sparking and whether the sparks are at the right time.
Where would you get your signal from?

Chalced: It's a strange one.  Even if the spark is out, you really shouldn't be smelling fuel (unless you cranked it for ages).  Did you (accidentally) have your foot on the accelerator?  That's will stop them from starting and then it can flood up a little.  Should start OK after an hour or so's rest.

Otherwise, it needs diagnosing by someone with expertise.

Need to start by pulling the spark plugs and checking for spark.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

chalced

Yes... checking for a spark is my next port of call... just don't have any time till end of week to work on it.
Not flooding as left it for several hours and still same problem.
I read somewhere that there could be a possible crankshaft sensor fault which causes a similar problem. Just not sure where that sensor is to check it though (awaits next reply in anticipation).
No ignition light to look at that, but I would have thought it would at least try to fire a little if that was out? Besides would it really go that far out after driving ok just 10 mins earlier?

jonbill

Quote from: Carolyn on April 22, 2018, 19:17
Quote from: jonbill on April 22, 2018, 18:14
Where would you get your signal from?
I confess is was picturing spark plug leads [emoji847]. I guess I'd pull the whole cop from #1

tomaky

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 22, 2018, 18:10
Quote from: tomaky on April 22, 2018, 17:05

Cheers.

Mel

Immobiliser cuts the fuel pump though doesn't it Tom? So if there's a smell of fuel you'd assume it's not the immobiliser?

Could have a point there.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Carolyn

Quote from: chalced on April 22, 2018, 19:58
Yes... checking for a spark is my next port of call... just don't have any time till end of week to work on it.
Not flooding as left it for several hours and still same problem.
I read somewhere that there could be a possible crankshaft sensor fault which causes a similar problem. Just not sure where that sensor is to check it though (awaits next reply in anticipation).
No ignition light to look at that, but I would have thought it would at least try to fire a little if that was out? Besides would it really go that far out after driving ok just 10 mins earlier?

Here's a pic of the crank sensor.  A bit of a piglet to get at in the car- but very do-able. Very often, a dirty earth (right next to the sensor) is the culprit.

chalced

Thanks.

May check this out first if I can manage to find it!

PhilzMR2

I would try plugging in a code reader. It only takes a minute, so no big deal if it doesn't show anything.
When the crank sensor failed on my Alfa it produced an error code, so could be worth a look.

chalced

No codes showing.

Just checked for sparks and everything looks good there.

Plugs were wet with fuel, so I am pretty sure the petrol is getting through. Still not firing though.

Do you still get a spark if the crankcase sensor is faulty? And I presume I have to access that from below as I can't even see it from the top!?

Thanks

Joesson

My not starting/ timing issue was in the days of carburettors, and distributors but, you have fuel and you have sparks so I'm still thinking they are not at the same/ correct time.

Carolyn

It occurs to me that if you have sparks and wet plugs, there should be no reason why the car won't run, as the timing of the ignition and injection is all done by the ECU and two sensors.  The crank sensor and the cam sensor, neither of which can go out of timing. 

So, either one of those sensors is giving a dodgy signal or there's something else strangely amiss. 

Both those senors need their earths disconnected, cleaned and reconnected.  The earth for the camshaft sensor is to be found on the end of the cylinder head at the gearbox end. The earth for the crank sensor is just above it on the timing cover. You'll need to put the car up on jack-stands and then it's not hard to get to.

At the same time, check that the throttle cable has a little free play and that the throttle butterfly is not sticking slightly open. 

Any open throttle at starting will give the symptoms you are reporting.

Joesson

So, what happened next, don't leave us in suspenders!

Joesson

So, @chalced ,what happened next, don't leave us in suspenders!

chalced

lol... went on me hols last week, so didnt get chance to work on it.

Cant get to cam sensors... nearly took all skin off my knuckles trying!

Think it must be something on the timing side though as everything else seems fine.

Now in the process of looking for a mobile mechanic in the Coventry area as I think I have gone as far as I can on my limited experience!

StuC

Quote from: chalced on May 15, 2018, 16:26
lol... went on me hols last week, so didnt get chance to work on it.

Cant get to cam sensors... nearly took all skin off my knuckles trying!

Think it must be something on the timing side though as everything else seems fine.

Now in the process of looking for a mobile mechanic in the Coventry area as I think I have gone as far as I can on my limited experience!

Give Steve@d1 customs (look in affiliates section) a call. He is only in Loughborough. He'll get it sorted for you.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

chalced

Thanks - tried phoning him today, but not answering  :(

StuC

chalced

Oooerrrr... that makes you sound like a necromancer .... lol

StuC

Raise him is very different to raise him up from the dead. Lol.

I have no word from him yet either. He is deffo your man though. :)

chalced

Lol... just tried again today and no answer.

Will try again tomorrow but if no luck will have to try elsewhere.

Frustrating having all this good weather and the cars off the road!

Joesson

Thanks for the update @chalced  but coming up to time for another.
Did Steve get resurrected?
Unfortunately it is often the case that people in the know are popular but that popularity can make them sometimes difficult to contact!
Or maybe his "hols" as well ;)

Tags: