Help..... broke down at Tesco’s...advice needed

Started by chalced, April 22, 2018, 16:03

StuC

No answer from me either. I was guessing holibobs too.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

chalced

What is it with mobile mechanics?
I have 1 who doesn't answer a phone (just rings out)
1 who said he would phone back and after chasing him a couple of times the other week still hasn't gotten back to me.
And 1 who said he could make it today and asked me to txt my address to confirm, but now isn't responding to txts or calls to see what time he is 'supposed' to be turning up.
Running out of options!

Joesson

Your frustration at trying to contact someone via a mobile phone is exactly the reason I would not do business in that way.
You have nowhere to go if anything goes wrong.It's bad enough sometimes when you use a garage with premises,( ask Norman about that) and me for that matter!

chalced

Would have no problem in using a regular garage, but as it doesn't start it is difficult to get it anywhere. Can't tow it due to the body kit, so would have to be lifted onto a flatbed which is rather expensive. Hence the reason to try the mobile mechanic option before I go down that route.

chalced

And surprise surprise ... a no show!

Have to wait until after bank hols now.

Treboeth

Quote from: chalced on May 24, 2018, 20:53
And surprise surprise ... a no show!

Have to wait until after bank hols now.

That is one thing that really boils my waste water  :protest:

Hopefully you can find someone that wants and can do the work.

Can we get @Carolyn to do a Flying Doctor type thing  :)

chalced

Update....
Managed to get a mobile mechanic out today ... yaaay

He checked the timing... All seemed ok
He checked the fuel pump and fuel going into engine.... All seemed ok
He cleaned off the earth on the crank sensor and tested it by seeing the revs come up on a diagnostic computer when we were cranking... All seemed ok
Says that the spark is a bit weak at the plug, but that it should be ok to fire

Somebody hasn't told the car that everything is ok as it still doesn't want to fire up.

So pretty much stumped as to what else it could be now.

chalced

And just put brand new plugs in (just in case), just clutching at straws really - no difference.

wotugonado

So I presume you drove it to Tesco and it was ok, you filled up then it wouldn't start ?
Did you drive there on low fuel, fumes ? How much did you put in?

Tesco had a problem last year with contaminated fuel that wrecked a few engines, just wondering if it could be something like that again. If you didn't put much in, could you Syphon it out and put some other brand fuel in?
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Joesson

@chalced         
Could the immobiliser be stopping you starting?
I am guessing a dud battery in your key may be the problem?

chalced

Was shopping in Tesco not filling up so half a tank of fuel already in.

Key fob not been working for a while, so have been manually locking car for the last few months. Thought the immobiliser shut off the fuel pump? And the pump is all tested ok.

Joesson

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=064Ilsz8Fzg
@chalced
The above link likely shows most of what you've checked but there is a follow on about the crank position sensor.
I have little experience with modern car systems but the symptoms relate to my similar , past experiences where I had sparks, and fuel but the car would not start. In each occasion it was the timing at fault. The modern method is via the crank position sensor so that is where I would be looking.
I do,wish you some better luck.

K T M Rider

sorry to see you are still struggling 6 weeks on.

seemingly not the exact same issue, as he was getting error codes, but cabrioman has just sorted his by replacing the ecu.

Pretty sure I've seen them for sale on the bay for around £50 - so looks worth a punt to me.

Cabrioman's readers ride thread : https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=62978.50
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

chalced

Going backwards now. Tried taking out the fuel injectors just to see if everything was ok. Have managed to break 2 of the seals putting them back and now have petrol pissin out!!
Anyone know if I can just get new seals or do I need new injectors?

Carolyn

I take it you mean the O rings at the top?  If so, PM me your address and I'll send a couple.

When you put the injectors back in, smear a little oil on them.  They'll pop in without tearing.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

chalced

Thanks Carolyn... owe you 1 !!
Just getting frustrated with it now!

Carolyn

I'm sure you are.  I've looked over the thread and I'm struggling to add anything useful. 

I would probably (if it were in my workshop) run a compression check and check valve clearances,. As to the spark;  A 'bit weak', might be too weak.

Something happened at Tesco's and it's probably something really simple.  But short of having the car in front of me, I can't think of much else.

chalced

Yes.. head scratching.. spark is fine now that I put the new plugs in.. checked it again this morning before I started messing with the injectors. Seem to have at least a certain amount of compression, but only tested by putting hand over plug hole.
Thinking maybe Ecu? But have read somewhere that replacing that means reprogramming keys and things? And it's not just a straight 1 for 1 swap and still not necessarily going to fix things.... arghhh

Carolyn

I know Dean at Rutland MR2 will supply an ecu with keys (and locks)  for not a lot of money.  Key internals can be swapped/programmed to avoid changing locks...

Seeing as something just 'quit' ECU is a possibility.

Shame your mobile mechanic quit on the job without finding the problem.

I'd get the car to Steve, if I were you.  Paying to get it trailered might be cheaper than spending money on guesses.

chalced

Yes, still trying to get hold of Steve, but no reply to either phoning or Facebook mails

StuC

Steve is deffo your best bet. He is supposed to be coming to DD on Saturday.
If I see him, I'll deffo point him your way.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Topdownman

Is yours a standard engine but just with NOS?

The only reason I ask is that I know of 2 cars running 2 ecus after engine swops that have failed to start due to a blown fuse cutting power to 1 ecu. It was (I think) the EF1 fuse in the rear that caused the problem.

If you are clutching straws it may be worth taking out all the fuses and inspecting. It may be pointless but may make you feel better that you are doing something!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

chalced

Only engine difference is uprated cams. Been in there for years now. I did have the  unichip piggyback unit fitted, but removed that to see if something had blown on it. The ecu is getting power as it responds to code/diagnostic readers.
Already checked all the fuses. It was my first port of call trying to find a quick easy fix.
(:< >:)

jonbill

You've got fuel and you've got spark. Have you tried easystart or something similar to test whether it might be bad fuel? 1/2 tank of diesel would certainly make it not run.

Carolyn

Quote from: jonbill on June  7, 2018, 21:03
You've got fuel and you've got spark. Have you tried easystart or something similar to test whether it might be bad fuel? 1/2 tank of diesel would certainly make it not run.
That makes so much sense. considering how and when.... and so easily done. (NOT that I've ever done it.  I put petrol in diesels, I do.)

Tags: