Help..... broke down at Tesco’s...advice needed

Started by chalced, April 22, 2018, 16:03

chalced

Yes, already tried squirting that up the air intake.
Fuel is deffo ok as it was running like a dream for 30 mins before I pulled into the car park. I had filled up with premium just a couple of days beforehand.

chalced

O rings turned up today. Thanks Carolyn. Brilliant tip about putting some oil on them.. They all slipped in like they lived there ! And no leakage. (That all just sounds wrong).
Actually thought it was about to fire up when I tried starting, but after the inititial try my hopes were dashed and it's back to where it was before I killed the injectors.
(:< >:)  (:< >:)  (:< >:)

chalced

After talking to a few other people, I have now ordered a cheap compression tester to see if perhaps head gasket has gone. Sho7ld be here by weekend, so will see what it shows....

shnazzle

The only other ingredient missing surely is air?
With throttle closed it is dependent on that damn IAC valve being wide open.
If it's sealed shut, can it get enough air in to fire up?

Maybe worth trying to disconnect the tps sensor and opening the throttle a smidge?
...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

Are you still running the NOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

chalced

NOS is connected, but hasn't been used for ages.
After a bit more investigation it turns out the nos  inlet is permanently open allowing fuel into the air intake. (Even though it's not even powered up), so I wonder if there was not enough air getting in?
I have to get some sort of blanking bolt which I can fit in to see if that helps. Thanks @shnazzle for pointing me the right way, although I still can't get it firing with this day connected, but I wonder if this is due to lack of fuel pressure as some of it was going the wrong way?
Off to my local car parts place to see if they have something I can use as a blank....

chalced

Update.....
Actually got the engine running now. Yaaaaay..
Put a blanking bolt in the NOS solenoid and it sorta tried to start. Decided to put the whole air intake back together and after stamping on the accelerator pedal for 5 secs it fired up.
Still doesn't sound 'quite ' right at the moment, but that could be to do with the fact that the main drive belt isn't fitted just yet.
Quick question.... the exhaust had tons of fuel in it... would that be normal after having it squirted into the air intake for a while? Have cleaned it out and it seems ok, just a little worrying.

chalced

Another quick one.... anyone have a diagram of how the belt goes? It wasn't me who took it off, so not sure of the routing (with ac too)
Ta.

shnazzle

The fuel will clear out. Get the belt on and let it run for a bit. Might still have some air issues.

Belt for A/C is easy to remember;

Its 3 levels of pulleys from top to bottom.
Idler and alternator at the top, tensioner and water pump in middle, then crank and AC at the bottom.

So: Outer, inner, outer from top row to bottom.
Outside the pulleys, inside of the pulleys, outside of the pulleys.

...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

"You put right leg in, your right leg out...."

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

shnazzle

I can't recommend shaking it all about though
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Dont knock it until you try it!

Cant help thinking a photo might help?

No, of the pulleys, not your leg.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Carolyn

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

StuC

@Carolyn nice one for the reference section. Be good to get an engine bay shot to correlate your clear diagram.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

The Other Stu

Quote from: StuC on June 14, 2018, 12:06
@Carolyn nice one for the reference section. Be good to get an engine bay shot to correlate your clear diagram.
She helped me do mine on Ding Day (Well, OK, she did most of the work). Could have done then.

But it would have needed my medical camera thing, because it's difficult to get a pic in there!
No Longer Here

Carolyn

Quote from: StuC on June 14, 2018, 12:06
I'm not a Moderator for the Reference Section.  However, that section is such a mess, it's really not a lot of use.  It's already covered in 'How To' s.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

chalced

THanks everyone for all your help and support.
Belt is on and engine seems to be running  just fine now (and only managed to scrape 3 knuckles doing it!).
Just got to put the inside back together (where I checked the fuel pump and disconnected the uni-chip) and tidy up the engine bay again (lots of cable ties to go back on and tightening nuts etc).
Hope to take it back out for a quick test run tomorrow  :D :D :D

Topdownman

Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

chalced

Good news for everyone that was following... running like a dream now.. just won't be able to use the nitrous unless I get new solenoids. Btbh i hadn5 used it for a few years any way !

;)

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

Result hope to see the beast at the Jap Performance Show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Tags: