Paint Progress

Started by Brizee67, May 13, 2018, 22:28

Brizee67

Thought I'd post my latest bit of modification to my forever ongoing project.

I recently acquired some genuine TRD sideskirts for next to nothing. One was almost mint whereas the drivers side had been snapped and badly fixed. As you may or may not know... I love a challenge [emoji4]
I started off with a dry fit to see how it fitted. Not surprisingly it fit almost perfectly. I decided to do the prep off the car but wanted to get it affixed to the car before attempting a fix for that crack as I wanted to try and glue it to the sill to aid the repair.
So using Tigerseal and screws on the underside and a couple of screws in the front to hold it in place during curing; I fitted the first skirt.
I then set about fixing the crack...which turned out to be rather challenging. Initially I ground it all back and tried to squeeze a load of Tigerseal behind the crack to hold it to the sill. I then used P38 filler to make it good.......unfortunately it moved and started to crack so I thought I'd have a go at plastic welding instead......that failed too...so I raked it all out and used the fibrous P40 filler. This held out...so primer followed by some colour and clear coat
I then went on to colour sand the clear coat and polish with a compound. I then did the same on the other side with somewhat less drama. this morning I sanded the clear coat using 1200 grit wet and dry... and then polished to a high sheen... ... also painted the sill inside the door as the previous owner had overspray and someone tried polishing it so you had different colours as well as primer showing...I painted it to match the skirt......it's finally starting to come together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StuC

Cracking job fella. Great enthusiasm too. :)

How about some kevhole covers? ;)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Brizee67

Quote from: StuC on May 13, 2018, 22:33
Cracking job fella. Great enthusiasm too. :)

How about some kevhole covers? ;)
I've heard about them...they look like a good idea [emoji1360]

wotugonado

Fair play, I'd love to do this but lack of space and patience means it's a no go.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Enjay

Excellent job. Finished pics look superb.

Brizee67

Quote from: wotugonado on May 13, 2018, 22:44
Fair play, I'd love to do this but lack of space and patience means it's a no go.
I am the most patient person on the planet...which is a good trait to have when it comes to paint work

wotugonado

Quote from: Brizee67 on May 13, 2018, 22:46
Quote from: wotugonado on May 13, 2018, 22:44
I am the most patient person on the planet...which is a good trait to have when it comes to paint work

Where as I'm not, which is why I leave it well alone :)
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Tags: