Removing the rust from the underside

Started by MR TWO, May 18, 2018, 13:56

MR TWO

So the fateful day has arrived.

I'm going to try a couple of different things out to see which is best assuming either work.  If they don't produce the results I will try something else.

I went for Fertan on the first corner.  Cost delivered £12.65. The company came recommended and I'm hopeful that this will be an easy, quick and relatively cheap way to sort this rust out. I chose the spray on & leave for 24 hours, pressure wash,  then paint product - (they have several different ones). Still easy, quick and cheap normally doin't work!

Wire brush attachment on the drill, some hand brushing and spray on the magic. 
Took about 20mins max.  Its like black water and I used a brush to push it into to niches & crannies. I was careful to keep it off caliper paint.
After an hour there seems to be a fairly thick almost varnish quality to the product.  It hasn't dripped off so minimal mess but I expect the pressure washer will take care of anything on the drive.

post a picture

1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

StuC

No 'after pressure washer' picture?

Next you'll be telling us we will have to wait for tomorrow's instalment! ::)

Quite a bit of rubber in that area. Any precautions needs around the gaitors (which autocorrect wanted to put as fairies!) and hoses from the instructions?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

wotugonado

Nice little write up, I think we all should be very interested in the result as all our cars are getting into this territory now. Look forward to the outcome.
Channelling my inner StuC now, will doing this fuse all the nuts and bolts in position ?
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

MR TWO

No 'after pressure washer' picture?
Next you'll be telling us we will have to wait for tomorrow's instalment! ::)

Yep in 24hrs after the magic has happened - or not...

Quite a bit of rubber in that area. Any precautions needs around the gaitors (which autocorrect wanted to put as fairies!) and hoses from the instructions?
Instructions say nothing about be careful of rubber.  I haven't been careful of rubber.  We will see!

Will doing this fuse all the nuts and bolts in position ?

I hope not. No fuseing warnings either. Ohmigod!
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.

wotugonado

He he he we just like to worry you.

MR TWO

Well the next corner & experiment.

I thought I would try this 'cause its easily available at Halfords.  I'm bound to need it for other stuff too so it might be more cost effective? Anyway its £15.50 for the whole drum.

I I used the drill and wire brush attachment like before, and slathered the stuff on witha paint brush especially cropped to short length bristles /£1.50.  Instructions say to put on a coat or three every half hour.  I've put one one so far.  Its more arduous - lyiong on the tarmac, wriggling about under the car, missing bits and wriggling back underneath again. No hard work but Fertan is waaaay ahead on points for application!

Takes about 15mins per coat.  No damage to hands.  No warnings about damaging stuff either so I'm in the lap of the gods... I'm going to do at least two coats.

wotugonado

I cann.... I cant control it. Inner StuC stop noooooooo!!!
Will this not erode all your bolts and joints ?? I'm sorry :(

StuC

Quote from: wotugonado on May 18, 2018, 15:43
Will this not erode all your bolts and joints ?? I'm sorry :(

My work here is done! :)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

MR TWO

Will this not erode all your bolts and joints ?? I'm sorry

I hope not, but if it is going to, I can't do anything about it now.

MR TWO

So Hammerite Rust Remover Brings Back Bare Metal score 2/10

Disappointed. 
I rated this stuff above zero as it does clean road crap of quite well.  Reasonably good at cleaning stainless too. Minimal effect on the rust underbelly of my little Ninja.  I ultimately did four coats as per instructions. Back to the drawing board.

The surface rust came back immediately after washing it all off a la pressure washer so thats not a real problem. 

Maybe Fertan will have great results tomorrow?

Inccidently all this rust was treated by Kurust a year ago so thats another product to consign to the bin.

wotugonado

Quote from: MR TWO on May 18, 2018, 16:25
Will this not erode all your bolts and joints ?? I'm sorry

I hope not, but if it is going to, I can't do anything about it now.
This was more of a wind up than a real question  :)
It really didn't do much by the looks of it, It would need to be really agressive stuff to strip back to bare metal, probably not something they would sell over the counter. Fingers crossed for the fertan then.
You gave it a shot and I'm sure the end result  will help a lot of mr2 owners in the future, but  possibly not make hammerite much profit

Topdownman

Are you going to be trying "rust remedy". That is supposed to convert the rust rather than actually remove it and then needs painting.

I have always steered clear of rust treatments you have to wash off afterwards....

Look forward to hearing about the other 2 corners!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

MR TWO

Quote from: Topdownman on May 18, 2018, 19:02
Are you going to be trying "rust remedy". That is supposed to convert the rust rather than actually remove it and then needs painting.

I have always steered clear of rust treatments you have to wash off afterwards....

I'm open to suggestions Simon. Who makes Rust Remedy? I will google it and see if I can get some tomorrow!

frogger

I have just bare metalled everything with an angle grinder with wire knotted wheel attachments (much more aggressive than a drill).  Then primer and paint with rustoleum products.  I am confident it will now last longer than the rest of the car.

If I was concerned after the bare metallic, I have acid which I use on older rusty'er cars - but did not feel the level of corrosion justified it on the MR2.

A strong phosphoric acid is the industrial version of what all the fancy branded products claim to do.

MR TWO

Quote from: frogger on May 18, 2018, 23:40
I have just bare metalled everything with an angle grinder with wire knotted wheel attachments (much more aggressive than a drill).  Then primer and paint with rustoleum products.  I am confident it will now last longer than the rest of the car.

If I was concerned after the bare metallic, I have acid which I use on older rusty'er cars - but did not feel the level of corrosion justified it on the MR2.

A strong phosphoric acid is the industrial version of what all the fancy branded products claim to do.

I admire your perseverance, but I am realistic enough to know that I will never get into all the little nooks and cranies & I am not taking the car apart to sort this out.

Still congrats on getting yours done. Got any pics?

Topdownman

Quote from: MR TWO on May 18, 2018, 23:38
Quote from: Topdownman on May 18, 2018, 19:02

I'm open to suggestions Simon. Who makes Rust Remedy? I will google it and see if I can get some tomorrow!

Should find it easily;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-Rust-Remedy-90-ml/product-reviews/B000TAPAUG
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

MR TWO

I just rang Meg & Harry and of course they are disappointed but following yesterdays (lack of) results I thought it best to press on. Jose was inconsolable, but y' know Jose.

On a reccomendation I bought a large bottle of Locktite Rust Remedy.  The bottle is not at all large and cost £10.20.  Its possibly cheaper elsewhere, but it was a local shop that has parking.  I bought a couple more brushes for a £1.

forum image hosting

The second pic is how your rust looks after four coats of hammerite Rust Remover....

The Loctite is supposed to turn the rusty metal black after 15mins, and might take two coats. Its the consistency of milkshake, so its not messy.  I tried some on my hands and no problem there either.

Scrambling under the car and applying roughly takes 15 mins or a total of 25 for two coats.
Fingers crossed.

MR TWO

Loctite Rust Remedy cont'd score 2/10

In the end I put on 4 coats which used around half the container.
The surface does not go black as you can clearly see from the pics below. For good measure I put some on the brake disk  to see if even there on thin surface rust whether the rust would actually turn black - again nothing.

So looking at the nice grey surfaces, I wondered whether the rust had actually been remedied?  The only way to find out was to scratch it with a screwdriver and find out what was beneath.  Unsurprisingly, there was the rust, dusty orange as before...

After screwdriver reveals what is really underneath
upload images
imag
No black results even on surface rust after 2 coats

Rust Remedy coats your cup equally well...

This is imo a type of sealant paint. It might seal the rust in so well it never comes back?  It certainly does not cure any rust or transform rust into a black pseudo metal.
Frankly spraying on Hammerite paint is probably just as good and a good deal easier and faster for much less money. Overall a waste of my time.  Next!

MR TWO

Quote from: frogger on May 19, 2018, 14:45

You got a lot done there amigo.  And on another green car (mines green really - its just dressed up as a white one).

frogger

It isn't perfect by a long shot - but 100 times better than it was, and the best rust removal is certainly to literally remove the rust!

This was in conjunction with doing a weld repair to the crossmember and replacing the suspension - so was taking things apart anyway.

wotugonado

Topdownman

You will certainly need to paint on top of the rust remedy with something like hammerite or rustoleum.

In my mind it gets rid of the rust thats present so you can paint so it has a chance of lasting a bit longer before it needs doing again. Otherwise you would have to paint on top of rust which is not going to last very long.

Whats next on the list?
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

MR TWO

Fertan 24hour Converter 0/10

I pressured washed it off - tbf the instructions said wash it off but may as well do a job properly right?

The results are there plain and clear. No conversion whatsoever.
Now its possible that this Fertan coates the rust in a thick plastic like coating which could stop air reaching the rust. As before with the Loctite, a couple of thick coats of spray on Hammerite is easier, cheaper, and probably every bit as good if only because it doesn't wash straight off!

On a side note, the Hammerite rust remedy cleaned up the inside rims of my wheels.  Not really an important job, but this stuff does at least clean stuff up!

So the shops are closed now for the weekend, so more follows soon. Not much more though. I'm going to try a more  expensive product and see if throwing cash at the problem gets a result or simply wastes even more money. 

My feeling is it seems more and more apparent that quick & reasonable cost fixes are non existant.  Regular spraying with black Hammerite becomes more and more the obvious solution...

KRAMSNEHPETS

I you have or can get an air compressor, use a soda blaster. No harm to rubber etc. Cleans off all the surface rust and the nooks and crannies. Will need a face mask. Lots of dust involved that just washes away when it rains
2004 Red edition. 2ZZ engine with Rotrex 30 94 supercharger,90mm pulley. Link Storm ECU. Charge cooler. Custom Meggalian exhaust.Uprated fuel pump, regulator and rail.840 injectors.323 BHP at the hubs. Meistier coil overs. Matt under body brace. Front and rear, upper and lower braces,list goes on...

Tags: