Removing the rust from the underside

Started by MR TWO, May 18, 2018, 13:56

MR TWO

Quote from: Bossworld on May 22, 2018, 21:17

Cut into the pipe afterwards and it was still solid but it's one area that mot testers love to be picky about.

Thats good to know they are finicky about that end brake pipe - thanks.  I will clean up the metal and put some clear over it so the testers will be happy and not a PITA.
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

The Arch Bishop

Glad the Bilt Hamber is working out for you. Never been disappointed with their stuff!

MR TWO

Quote from: The Arch Bishop on May 22, 2018, 23:07
Glad the Bilt Hamber is working out for you. Never been disappointed with their stuff!

The stuff does exactly what is says on the tin; "Removes rust".

The only critisim I have is that the jar is tall and my paint brush is short!  First world world problems eh!

I am going to send the pics of the results to Fertan, Halfords and Loctite, with a polite suggestion that they replicate the results with their products in the future, or stop making blatently untrue claims.

Bilt Hamber for President!
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.

MR TWO

Moving on, the first two corners have have two doses of Hamber elixir, pressure washed off, and a wire brushing courtesy of the drill attachment. Thick primer paint is drying in the sunshine.

The other two corners have thick coatings of rust remover and should be ready for the second just after 12noon (early start).

Really starting to get somewhere and the feeling is good.

wotugonado

Good news :)
Laughed at the sending pics to halfords, stick it too em.
So in relation to the other items they had a score out of 10, what does the bilt hamber  score ?
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

MR TWO

Quote from: wotugonado on May 23, 2018, 11:45
Good news :)
So in relation to the other items they had a score out of 10, what does the bilt hamber  score ?

Since the first two corners were previously treated by the other products, I figured its possible that they did do more than seemed obvious - yeah very unlikely but still. So final scores to come later today.  Though I have put in a call to Sweden and lets just say I think if Dylan deserved an award, then, well anything is possible!

Hey remember that the Halfords stuff was a good cleaner. Loctite could have done something? Fertan was a plastic type glue covering and possibly works  if no air ever gets to the metal again.

MR TWO

Definitely on the home stretch now.  The passenger side is all done and painted.  The drivers side is still swathed in its second coat as I didn't want to start cleaning it all up and painting at 6.30pm.

The drivers side is noticably less corroded - both front and back. Possibly because all the road crap that sits in the gutters? I could have skipped the second coat but since I've come this far I might as well do it 100%.

Getting stuck into things for a project (as opposed to having to 'cause the damn thing won't start) has given me a bit of a boost of enthusiasm and reminded me quite how much i enjoy owning this car.  I haven't done much to it for the last year as I haven't needed to and my bike has been  a distraction. Its time I did a few other little jobs and maybe a couple of new "mods"...  And certainly redo the red calipers!

MR TWO

All good things come to an end

I still have the rest of the floor to paint, but that can be another day...

Bilt Hamber score 8.5/10

wotugonado

Looks tons better, fair play for persevering.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Garfy

Wish I'd seen this earlier in the week  ::) I  got, rust, suspension, hammerite kurest, wire brushes, wire drill attachment, head phones, girlfriend on coffee duty and a borrowed set if ramps all set up for the bank holiday weekend but no Bilt Hamber  :'(
Water cooled T25 turbo
Air to air intercooler
440cc injectors
ECU and electronic boost control
2.5" sports exhaust with twin tail pipes

MR TWO

Quote from: Garfy on May 24, 2018, 20:57
Wish I'd seen this earlier in the week  ::) I  got, rust, suspension, hammerite kurest, wire brushes, wire drill attachment, head phones, girlfriend on coffee duty and a borrowed set if ramps all set up for the bank holiday weekend but no Bilt Hamber  :'(

If you order Bilt H tonight from Opie (i did via eBay) you might get it by Sat...  Otherwise call them, there might be a stockist near you?  Goodluck!

frogger

Quote from: Garfy on May 24, 2018, 20:57

Add safety glasses to this list.  I kept forgetting to put them on and the amount of rust that goes in your eyes is no joke!

Garfy

Goo is on order, with me next weekend. Got my goggles so this weekend will be removing as much rust as I can by hand  ;D will start a new thread with before piccies once I'm under  ;)
Water cooled T25 turbo
Air to air intercooler
440cc injectors

BahnStormer

Just a thought: since not all of us have a car lift at home and even a trolley jack will struggle on my gravel, plus I wouldn't work under one without axle stands, which are probably going to sink/wobble on the gravel... would little drive-on ramps (e.g. THESE) work for getting the back of the car up so I can wire brush it properly? Or do I have to take the wheels off?
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Garfy

I'm doing OK at the moment with these  :D
Not a lot of room and I do have a Halfords cheapo lie on thingy with wheels.
I have got to the majority of it, I hope
Water cooled T25 turbo
Air to air intercooler
440cc injectors

MR TWO

Quote from: BahnStormer on June  1, 2018, 15:57
Just a thought: since not all of us have a car lift at home and even a trolley jack will struggle on my gravel, plus I wouldn't work under one without axle stands, which are probably going to sink/wobble on the gravel... would little drive-on ramps (e.g. THESE) work for getting the back of the car up so I can wire brush it properly? Or do I have to take the wheels off?

To lift the car on gravel the best work around I know is to put a thick plank of wood beneath the jack, or if you have flags in your garden theres a good chance they are not cemented down and you can pry one up. They go back into place easily enough.

You definitely need to remove the wheels as there is no access space to clean up the grot and rust around the hubs/ suspension when they are in place.

Topdownman

I personally feel I cant have enough jacks, axle stands etc under the car if I am under there too!

Even using those ramps I would have at least 2 axle stands as well "just in case".
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

Quote from: MR TWO on June  1, 2018, 19:41
Quote from: BahnStormer on June  1, 2018, 15:57

To lift the car on gravel the best work around I know is to put a thick plank of wood beneath the jack, or if you have flags in your garden theres a good chance they are not cemented down and you can pry one up. They go back into place easily enough.

You definitely need to remove the wheels as there is no access space to clean up the grot and rust around the hubs/ suspension when they are in place.
I'd be wary of using concrete flags unless you know they're steel reinforced, crack,crumble and your stand is unsupported. Stick with timber, even if it stress cracks it'll still be under the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Tags: