Which steering wheel?

Started by james_ly, June 8, 2018, 14:59

james_ly

I definitely need a smaller steering wheel, I'm used to my 320mm VX220, so in the 2 my knees touch the wheel. Can anyone suggest a tried and tested, reasonably priced upgrade?
MR2 gone<br />GT86

BahnStormer

Have you got your '2 half-caged? The new MOT varies from one car to the next, but I think that for cars that were supplied with an airbag, they require a working airbag, unless you've retrofitted a half-cage (i.e. track-focussed)... although I know some people have got past it with steering wheels with no airbag, but have just suppressed the airbag warning light with a resistor. Not sure if they just got lucky or if that's an official loophole though... not sure if that would still work if you've got an obvious, tiny little Momo in there and clearly no airbag. Do your research :)

It doesn't sound like this would fit your requirements, but have you considered a re-shaped (flat botttom) original? It doesn't change the diameter, but it's easier getting in and out, looks nicer, feels nicer and uses the OEM airbag. I guess you could ask them if they can cut it even more as I think they do some proper little F1 sized reductions on some cars...

Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

james_ly

Thanks. No cage, but anything stopping me from swapping the wheel before the MOT each year? Or I could find a 'friendly' place ;)

No flat bottom wouldn't work - the problem I have is when turning in while bleeding off the brake pedal, my knuckle brushes my knee so I find it uncomfortable to trail brake into hairpins.

So yeah, do those Momos just fit with no issues?
MR2 gone<br />GT86

BahnStormer

look up @Leethesparky  (SparkyLee / SpyderLee) on YouTube - I think he did a video on it. Mine is a daily, so Momo's aren't my cuppa, so I never watched it in detail, but I did watch the first few mins as I needed to see how to get the steering wheel off in the first place :)
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

mikek

Momo commando on mine. I will be be at ding day so come have a feel!! Oo er misses
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

james_ly

Quote from: BahnStormer on June  8, 2018, 16:39
look up @Leethesparky  (SparkyLee) on YouTube - I think he did a video on it. Mine is a daily, so Momo's aren't my cuppa, so I never watched it in detail.

Great, thanks for that video. Perfect step by step guide, so I've ordered an OMP wheel, looking forward to it.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

james_ly

Was a bit of a pain to fit - like the video that white connector for the horn fouls on the boss. I didn't realise and the steering wasn't self centering very well. Looks like you can fettle the white plug so it fits flush, or ditch it and solder the wire like in the video. When the boss is £70 they really should provide a different connector for it to fit  (:< >:)

330mm wheel is the business though!
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Standard

I will be swapping my wheel over soon.

I used to have a MK7733R Momo boss and an 300mm Momo Race (I think they are discontinued now) and I fitted it myself. It was a doddle and normally inept at DIY.

Indicators etc all worked as normal.

Tags: