Brakes glorious brakes

Started by HereComesTheWife, June 14, 2018, 20:32

Topdownman

What is the price difference? The YS were £120 for both ends.

If its not much then maybe worth trying YS now rather than later as pads could theoretically last years. Its the same argument as just going for AD08Rs rather than trying a set of toyos first. You have years of not quite the best....

As you are finally in a position to drive Jack quickly with confidence for the first time it is the perfect time to have the best brakes you have ever had and there will be no regrets as you went for the best rated pads for road use.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

jvanzyl

Someone is talking proper sense here....I have "years" of flipping Toyos to work through...
Quote from: Topdownman on June 18, 2018, 20:29
What is the price difference? The YS were £120 for both ends.

If its not much then maybe worth trying YS now rather than later as pads could theoretically last years. Its the same argument as just going for AD08Rs rather than trying a set of toyos first. You have years of not quite the best....

As you are finally in a position to drive Jack quickly with confidence for the first time it is the perfect time to have the best brakes you have ever had and there will be no regrets as you went for the best rated pads for road use.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Bossworld

Brembos front and rear for £50 all in at ECP mid month 'sale'.

Probably closer to £40 when they do the end of month 'sale'.

:-\

mark1307

I'm running Brembo pads all round at the moment and they're decent...I'd be interesting in what discs people recommend though - I'm on what looks like something similar to stock but wanted an upgrade. Looked at mtec but still undecided
Silver...you know you love it!

Topdownman

I saw a comment by one individual on another forum I am on this week who said that brembo dont make their own pads, they are made for them by someone else so the implication was they were the same pad as a cheaper brand. No evidence was offered and I have no idea if this was true but just thought I would mention it.

I have got on alright with my cheap EBC pads and as they make the yellowstuff pads, they should be a good cheaper choice?

With regard to discs, "engineering explained" did a youtube video of stock vs slotted vs drilled rotors which is worth a watch if you are trying to decide if you want different rotors.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

mikek

Has anybody used the black diamond predator  pads? Look good value

Or

The stop tech super streets as an alternative to yellowstuff?
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

BahnStormer

How about MTEC grooved and dimpled discs + YellowStuf pads. It's discs and pads, front and rear @ £330 or is that over-priced?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273137273142

I'm not sure as I was looking at Black Diamond previously and that was ~£500, ~£220 just for the G6 rear discs (still OEM sizes)!

Actually looks like they're cheaper straight from MTEC...  £275, incl delivery, copper grease and a bottle of 5.1 fluid....

I found a screen grab of the Black Diamond prices: last year, they were £486 just for the discs and pads with delivery, no fluid/grease...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

BahnStormer

@Topdownman where are you getting YS for £120? I've just noticed that mine are £140 in that basket...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Topdownman

The fronts are here;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-YELLOWSTUFF-BRAKE-PADS-FRONT-DP41295R-FAST-STREET-TRACK-RACE/312103572936?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I cant see any rears on ebay for that price at the moment but they were that a few weeks ago and maybe will be again?

You could always ring jaysperformance and say you want both ends for £59.22 each and buy over the phone rather than through ebay? Use a credit card and you still have protection.

These things are always worth a try, they can only say no!

Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

BahnStormer

Quote from: Topdownman on July 22, 2018, 18:18
The fronts are here;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-YELLOWSTUFF-BRAKE-PADS-FRONT-DP41295R-FAST-STREET-TRACK-RACE/312103572936?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I cant see any rears on ebay for that price at the moment but they were that a few weeks ago and maybe will be again?

You could always ring jaysperformance and say you want both ends for £59.22 each and buy over the phone rather than through ebay? Use a credit card and you still have protection.

I can't seem to get the eBay Catcha code to work today, so can't send any messages to eBay sellers today.

Are the rears "DP4602R" or "DP41107R"??? MTECBrakes seem to say "DP4602R", but I'm pretty sure that's the part number for the Mk1 MR2....

Pretty certain the fronts are "DP41295R".

Gaz mr-s

I would consider upgraded pads for the future, & Yellowstuff would be the likeliest from what I've read previously. But I would probably only fit to the front.  A much heavier car would probably be better all-round, but it's a light car, the rears aren't going to get hot in road use.

Opinions?

james_ly

On the road any old pads are fine in the MR2 I think, you've got lots of corner grip relative to the power so you should be able to carry speed more than other cars.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

BahnStormer

From another thread, where we're discussing Caliper refurbs / replacements....

Quote from: m1tch on July 24, 2018, 07:30
I got mine from here (both rears) as I figure they would probably fail at the MOT - worth noting that you don't need to send back your old calipers like other places which means you will also have another set you can refurbish as a spare if needed:

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Toyota/MR2/00-/MR2%20Sports%20Zzw30%201.8%20Roadster/Rear%20-%20Brake%20Calipers%20and%20Wheel%20Cylinders
Has anybody heard of Budweg/Akebono before? These seem to be the same price to buy outright, new compared to refurbished OEM ones "on exchange".

lamcote

There is lots of chat about Budweg callipers going back many years on loads of forums.
Consensus seems to be they started off reconditioning original callipers, then started to get new ones made when they couldn't get enough originals. The new ones are probably made in China so (as usual) there are lots of comments about how crap they must be (mainly on BMW sites!), but they seem to sell thousands a week and I can't find anyone who's actually fitted them complaining about them, (albeit with pretty minimal research on my part). And they come with a 2 year warranty whereas Brembo etc only seem to give 1 year.
Make of all that what you will.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

m1tch

Quote from: lamcote on July 26, 2018, 11:18
There is lots of chat about Budweg callipers going back many years on loads of forums.
Consensus seems to be they started off reconditioning original callipers, then started to get new ones made when they couldn't get enough originals. The new ones are probably made in China so (as usual) there are lots of comments about how crap they must be (mainly on BMW sites!), but they seem to sell thousands a week and I can't find anyone who's actually fitted them complaining about them, (albeit with pretty minimal research on my part). And they come with a 2 year warranty whereas Brembo etc only seem to give 1 year.
Make of all that what you will.

I have a pair fitted and they passed the MOT fine - will see how they perform I guess, will look to recondition the original ones.

Topdownman

Quote from: BahnStormer on July 23, 2018, 12:02
Quote from: Topdownman on July 22, 2018, 18:18
The fronts are here;

I can't seem to get the eBay Catcha code to work today, so can't send any messages to eBay sellers today.

Are the rears "DP4602R" or "DP41107R"??? MTECBrakes seem to say "DP4602R", but I'm pretty sure that's the part number for the Mk1 MR2....

Pretty certain the fronts are "DP41295R".

These are what I have, not on the car yet so could be wrong!!

Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

tomaky

Just to add a little. Your rear pads are currently oem replacement pagids.
I found the yellow stuff to be very good pads lets say 10% better at braking and had less fade on track, that being said they got alot of heavy use a couple track day and didnt last long at all. Could try red stuffs also.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Topdownman

Rears are cheap again by the look of it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-Yellowstuff-Uprated-Rear-Brakes-Pads-DP41295R-/301447745778?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

(Ooops, just realised those are the fronts!).

Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

BahnStormer

Quote from: Topdownman on July 31, 2018, 17:59

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-Yellowstuff-Uprated-Rear-Brakes-Pads-DP41295R-/301447745778?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Mine are on the car now.... time to go and bed them in :)

Topdownman

Quote from: BahnStormer on July 31, 2018, 18:35
Quote from: Topdownman on July 31, 2018, 17:59

Mine are on the car now.... time to go and bed them in :)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

HereComesTheWife

They're here.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Topdownman

Well done!

I look forward to seeing Patricks pic of you fitting them.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Topdownman on August 21, 2018, 11:48
Well done!

Harsh... But fair![emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

HereComesTheWife

Quote from: Topdownman on August 21, 2018, 11:48
Well done!

Ha ha, that's tomorrow's job. Can't wait to get them on now

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

shnazzle

Front all sorted.
Had a few issues with the nearside brake line nut. Nothing a mole grip couldn't fix.
But that took ages. And then we experienced what everybody says about the kink in the line at the caliper end. We're not entirely happy but as long as the line slides through the clip it should be fine.

Didn't need much cleaning. Everything slid in perfectly.
Although the brake discs were absolutely welded to the hub.
This is how a 1hr job turns into 4.

Rears tomorrow, which should be easier as it's just been off. And then full fluid replacement.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: