2zz or turbo?

Started by michaelb, June 19, 2018, 07:34

Eddie

Which is easier to insure, a 2zz or a turbo 1zz?

shnazzle

Quote from: Eddie on June 21, 2018, 22:02
My current insurance is/was happy to insure me for the same price I pay now for a 2zz up to 190bhp.

So, on that basis, I suspect turbo would be more.
But Helen @HereComesTheWife pays the same as I do for her turbo vs my stock
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

Just thinking here...
Most of us want the car to last quite a while.
Which means that consideration for a well supported engine is probably key.
That would probably mean a K20? .... But then that has to be balanced with the plug and play ability of the 2zz... Just musing really!

BahnStormer

I'd still say that bang for buck is turbo... just don't get suckered into big turbo's that give you great peak numbers (pub/dyno bragging rights), but an undriveable torque curve that only spools at high RPM and unbalances the car mid-corner.

@michaelb - did you saw what your budget was (ideal / max)?
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Nvy

1. Get mahle pistons.
2. Get 2zz swap package with no header and exhaust.
3. Swap pistons + head bolts + lift bolts + 1zz oil pan + some bearings.
4. Stick 2zz engine in the car.
5. Turbo it with 3 different maps:
- Show off map.
- Sensible daily driver map.
- Whatever you like map.

This is what i would do. There is no definitive answer for the question coz you have lots of options - 1zz turbo/2zz/2zz turbo/couple of v6 options/k20/k24 frank - 250-300 hp NA power/k24 frank with turbo - 1k hp with deep pockets/v8 audi engine. Left to right you are swapping more and more stuff from the car and the difficulty increases, also the cash that you are throwing on the car increases to some numbers that will get you a GTR with aftermarket upgrades.

Easy one - making 230 hp with stock 1zz engine and Chinese turbo plus the group buy standalone ECU - cheapest reliable.

Doable one in my book no crazy fabrication need - If you pick to fully forge 1zz it will run you the same money as 2zz swap with upgraded pistons and bolts. 2zz with the above parts and low boost ~ 12 psi will make reliable 350 hp and depending on your right foot and your tune the tranny will hold or not.

michaelb

BahnStormer I think I could stretch to around £3.5k before installation.

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

michaelb

shnazzle

Haha. Why say more when one word suffices eh?
...neutiquam erro.

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: Eddie on June 21, 2018, 22:02

My turbo came in at almost half the price to insure as it did stock  :-\

LeeTheSparky covered this last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wIs-_pCEZo&t=5s

J03

Look up DannyDC2 on the dreaded Youtube & have a butchers at his black k20 in action.
If I had my time (and cash) again I'd be wholeheartedly heading down that route. I do love the 2zz engine, it's always about the driving experience than outright power, but the k20 is a savage beast when tuned properly.

You then have the option to throw a tubby in the mix, should the need arise  :)
The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

str160

I've had my 2ZZ'd 2 up n running for nearly 2 years now. I love it, but I think one thing it lacks is fueling fine tuning, and maybe stage 2 cams. I think these would make the engine feel more potent, more of the time.

I think a turbo car would probably be better for road driving though.

Tags: