Lessons from fitting the TRD Member Braces

Started by Anonymous, August 2, 2003, 19:41

Anonymous

For anyone who is interested I have stuck up some lessons learnt on my web page at http://www.apbw47.dsl.pipex.com/lessonslearnt.html

I also have some pics of them in place which are not uploaded but if someone needs them for reference in future let me know.

First impressions are fairly good, firmer ride up front dampening some of the scuttle ( a bit like having the hard top on) whilst stiffenin the rear a touch.

Comer

You got them done then nice one.  Did you take the car out with just the front brace first then again with both and rear to see the difference?  I'm tempted to upgrade from just 03 front and no rears to the TRD set.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

I had one drive with just the front brace and I think that made the most difference, with that being a reduction in the scuttle/shake at the front of the car.

With the rear the impact was less apparent as I had the girlfriend in the car whilst I am used to driving alone mostly. I will need a few more sessions to judge better.

Overall the impression is of a firmer car which is stiffer round corners which I find helpful, but I wouldn't want to over-state the benefit at the cost of £255 for the TRD braces.

Maybe one of the TOM's rear braces would do the job but I don't know enough about them to make a recommendation.

Anonymous

Hi,

I installed the front and rear TRD member braces about a year ago.

I used ramps (they work fine as long as you haven't lowered the suspension).

The TRD (and spyderchat) instructions for installing the rear member braces are rubbish. Using weight and bags of rice to load up the suspension does not work and you may end up damaging the bolts, etc.

The trick is to use a standard "power strap" (a strap with a ratchet mechanism that is commonly used to strap stuff on trucks, roof-racks, etc.)

You tie the strap (like a belt) around the base of the suspension (wheel hub) and the chassis (near engine mounting). When you tighten it using the ratchet, hey presto! the holes line up perfectly and you can insert the bolt without any effort (or hammering!)

I wish I had taken a few pictures, but I did not have a camera with me. However, it is very easy to figure out.

P.S. The member braces have reduced the scuttle shake (but definitely not eliminated it). I fitted them because I had replaced the stock anti-roll bars with the much beefier TTE models (which are adjustable!!) and much stiffer!

John H.

cool_apple

Great !

Well here's me 2 cent remedy for chaps whose member brace with minor rusting (due to wear / tear)

I had mine a little more than one half year.  The protective coat on the TRD member brace (facing ahead) has over time, gone (stripped due to stones wacking and stuffs) .

I had recently sprayed the undercarriage foam over the stripped coat. The rubberised area should at least gives it a protection for more country roads.

Tags: