Where's the best place to get new front shocks?

Started by trumpetdropper, July 13, 2018, 12:34

trumpetdropper

MOT fail on - NSF shock today :'(
Garage can't get one until Tue next week - standard pattern part @ £110 +VAT + labour
Thought I might do it myself if I can get one over the weekend?
Would even consider doing the both fronts and upgrading if price is reasonable? and I can get them local (west midlands)
Happy to buy 2nd hand if they in good order
Any recommendations welcome
Cheers
Trying to understand the behaviour of some people is like trying to smell the colour 9!!!

Trumpetdropper\'s tinkering toys
02 MR2 Roadster Silver (unmolested yet)
51 Volvo V70 T5 (250 bhp)
54 Volvo XC90 T6 (279 bhp) family bus
99 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport (2wheel project)

dan944

I bought a set off eBay for £50ish a pair. Sensible to change the pair if there's a fair amount of age on them I think. Otherwise you'll tend to induce more wear on the not renewed side.(could be wrong here)

Not fitted my fronts yet though although they are specified for our cars.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Topdownman

I would do all 4 together. Doing just the axle is the next best option but the car wont respond the same with old on one axle and new on the other. I wouldnt dream of doing just 1 shock.

Lots of threads about suspension to have a look at.

I bought some off e-bay (KYB shocks), I had to buy off 4 different sellers to get a whole set at the best price.

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Carolyn

Just doing the one axle (both shocks) is cool.  Though, you can bet that you'll be doing the back in a year or two.

As others have said, KYBs are readily available online for around £50 each.

It is definitely a DIY job, given axle stands and spring compressors. 

It's also a great opportunity to grease the bearings in the top mounts, while you've got them apart.

'Upgrading' is a little more complex, as you need to decide what it is you want.  AND you will end up spending much more and doing all four corners at once.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: