100,000 mile service?

Started by oli, July 15, 2018, 11:56

oli

Hi all,
My roadster has just passed 100,000 miles, I've changed the oil, oil filter and air filter, what else should I be looking to service in the near future?
Cheers,
Oli

lamcote

Spark plugs
Gearbox oil
Coolant change maybe, unless it's had a new radiator?
Brake fluid
Clutch fluid perhaps
Rustproof the rear cross member
Check the steering joint in the frunk
Lubricate the handbrake mechanism on the rear calipers

I'm sure others will have some more suggestions

Edit. Tyre pressures (obviously) and MAF clean. Things like suspension bushes etc need checking but should be picked up in the MOT?

Edit 2. Listen for noisy tappets, check condition of auxiliary drive belt and power steering pump fluid level. For the cost involved you may as well also replace the PCV valve and the cam chain tensioner?

I'm running out of ideas now, anyone else?

Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Ardent

From memory.
The timing chain comes up for "inspection"

lamcote

True, how do you inspect that?

shiny

K T M Rider

Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Ardent

Ktm
Well found.
Cannot see that being done very often.

Ardent

Oli
Just for clarity.
There are many cars on here with very big miles. Timing chain is not something to focus on.
Sleep easy

Carolyn

If you do want to check the chain, you can do it in the engine.  The guide is a little over-fussy.  Any stretch will be uniform and you can measure the chain in situ and under tension by measuring the stretch across the top of the sprockets.  No more than 122.6 mm over 16 links.

Odds are its ok.  I would, however replace the chain tensioner.  They are a less than 50,000 mile item. (Available from our affiliate, TCB performance parts).

There's a guide in the 'how to' section.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

lamcote

@Carolyn is it relatively easy (for me not you!) to remove the cam cover and if you do, do you need to renew the gasket?

Carolyn

Quote from: lamcote on July 15, 2018, 16:40
@Carolyn is it relatively easy (for me not you!) to remove the cam cover and if you do, do you need to renew the gasket?

You can manage cam-cover just fine, Patrick.   A few bolts with 10 mm heads and one funny log one that needs a 12 mm spanner or long socket.  Four bolts to remove plug caps (no need to disconnect electrically) a couple more 10's holding the wiring rail, and it's off. 

If the gasket lacks flexibilty, I'd replace it.

lamcote

Ok, I've now got another undoubtedly stupid question, what exactly do you measure from and to? End of link to opposite end of 16th link, pin to pin, end of link to same end of 16th link, the possibilities are endless...

I assume the connector between two links is not itself a link? If that makes sense???

Carolyn

Quote from: lamcote on July 15, 2018, 17:18
Ok, I've now got another undoubtedly stupid question, what exactly do you measure from and to? End of link to opposite end of 16th link, pin to pin, end of link to same end of 16th link, the possibilities are endless...

I assume the connector between two links is not itself a link? If that makes sense???

Each pin designates a link, whether the linkage is internal or external  So I would think you count pins.  Will become blindingly obvious when you try to measure, as each 'link' is a centimetre!!

Edit, well a little less than a centimetre, but you get the idea.

lamcote

Blindingly obvious she says, ha, have you learnt nothing about my capacity for causing unspeakable damage whilst attempting minor maintenance work?

Carolyn

Quote from: lamcote on July 16, 2018, 08:47
Blindingly obvious she says, ha, have you learnt nothing about my capacity for causing unspeakable damage whilst attempting minor maintenance work?

Bring her here and we can do it together.. a chance to build some confidence?

however, get your calculator out (I KNOW you're good at that) and divide 122 mm by 16, you'll see it can only be pin-to-pin. :D

oli

Thanks all for your advice!

Brake fluid, UJ, Subframe and calipers have all been done fairly recently, spark plugs and chain tensioner are the next jobs I think!

And I'll take a look at the timing chain at some point too when I get the time.

Carolyn

Quote from: oli on July 16, 2018, 11:02
Thanks all for your advice!

Brake fluid, UJ, Subframe and calipers have all been done fairly recently, spark plugs and chain tensioner are the next jobs I think!

And I'll take a look at the timing chain at some point too when I get the time.

I'd say don't forget the gearbox oil.  So easily forgotten!

ptennisnet

+1 for gearbox oil - mine died at about 140K and I think an oil change could have prevented it.  Its certainly on my initial to-do list if I ever buy a different MR2

oli

So I'm ordering all the bits this weekend, and I've now noticed a rattle from the engine bay. Only happens while coasting, disappears as soon as the throttle or clutch is depressed. There's no rattle on idle at all. Initially thought it was a heat shield, but I've jubilee clipped the main cat heat shield (the bolt had rusted through) and the rattle persists. I know these sorts of noises are a nightmare to describe, but any ideas as to what else it could be? Another missing heat shield bolt I haven't spotted, or something more serious?

Justin.D

Without hearing it, it's almost impossible to say exactly what it may be

I jubilee clipped the main cat heat shield last year, still had the tinny rattle until I clipped both ends of it. Have you tried that?
Click for my Readers Ride

oli

Quote from: Justin.D on July 22, 2018, 08:46
Without hearing it, it's almost impossible to say exactly what it may be

I jubilee clipped the main cat heat shield last year, still had the tinny rattle until I clipped both ends of it. Have you tried that?

Cheers, that seems to have sorted it!

lamcote

Quote from: Carolyn on July 16, 2018, 09:29

however, get your calculator out (I KNOW you're good at that) and divide 122 mm by 16, you'll see it can only be pin-to-pin. :D

Just seen this, thanks. Maybe you could teach me how to properly fit new rear brakes as well, he asks cheekily!

Carolyn

Quote from: lamcote on July 24, 2018, 12:04
Quote from: Carolyn on July 16, 2018, 09:29

Just seen this, thanks. Maybe you could teach me how to properly fit new rear brakes as well, he asks cheekily!

No probs.

Tags: