Oil splatters

Started by ad_car_08, July 19, 2018, 23:55

ad_car_08

Hi all,

Today I decided would be the day to fit my lotus style centre exhaust - didn't go too well (see other topic I'll be starting up).
Anyway... While my standard exhaust was out, I took the opportunity to have a little look round my engine bay.
First thing I noticed was a fine spray of oil over the wires going to my o2 sensors in the manifold. I'm sure I've seen somewhere that this could be as innocent as the chain tensioner needing replacing... Am I correct?

On closer inspection, I noticed oil residue around the engine block too. Does the oil from the tensioner mist up and fill the engine bay? I see no other way of it getting there unless a seal has gone on the top of the engine?

[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

m1tch

Quote from: ad_car_08 on July 19, 2018, 23:55
Hi all,

Today I decided would be the day to fit my lotus style centre exhaust - didn't go too well (see other topic I'll be starting up).
Anyway... While my standard exhaust was out, I took the opportunity to have a little look round my engine bay.
First thing I noticed was a fine spray of oil over the wires going to my o2 sensors in the manifold. I'm sure I've seen somewhere that this could be as innocent as the chain tensioner needing replacing... Am I correct?

On closer inspection, I noticed oil residue around the engine block too. Does the oil from the tensioner mist up and fill the engine bay? I see no other way of it getting there unless a seal has gone on the top of the engine?

The back of my engine is covered in oil from the leaking O ring, I would however also check the PCV valve in the rocker cover.

Call the midlife!

That doesn't look quite right to me to be from the chain tensioner but it's always hard to tell from close ups. How old is your auxiliary belt too? Nothing to do with the oil issue, just looks a bit tired in that pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Bossworld

I think the rocker cover gasket goes over time.  Fairly simple job but lots of bolts and things to move. 

Your starting point needs to be to clean the engine bay with Gunk or similar otherwise you'll not find the source.

Bcxbcx

Has the Oil cap ever been left off and the engine run?

Not that I've ever done this, of course, but I imagine if I had, oil would have been spat  all over the place, and caused a right mess...
2000 W PFL in black

ad_car_08

Quote from: Bcxbcx on July 20, 2018, 17:52
Has the Oil cap ever been left off and the engine run?

Not that I've ever done this, of course, but I imagine if I had, oil would have been spat  all over the place, and caused a right mess...

Not in my ownership but have heard of the same signs of oil splatter being a tell tale sign, too
[/size]

ad_car_08

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 20, 2018, 07:15
That doesn't look quite right to me to be from the chain tensioner but it's always hard to tell from close ups. How old is your auxiliary belt too? Nothing to do with the oil issue, just looks a bit tired in that pic?

That was another question mark.. The auxiliary belt. I thought it looked a bit tired too. By the looks of how tight it is over there... Looks a right pig of a job too  :(
[/size]

ad_car_08

Quote from: Bossworld on July 20, 2018, 12:55
I think the rocker cover gasket goes over time.  Fairly simple job but lots of bolts and things to move. 

Your starting point needs to be to clean the engine bay with Gunk or similar otherwise you'll not find the source.

My thoughts were that the gasket may have a leak.. Good shout on cleaning it up too.
Sounds a stupid question, but what's the recommended way of doing this? Blindly taking a jet washer to it, seems a bit unstrategic and maybe catastrophic!?
[/size]

Call the midlife!

Quote from: ad_car_08 on July 21, 2018, 00:45
Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 20, 2018, 07:15

That was another question mark.. The auxiliary belt. I thought it looked a bit tired too. By the looks of how tight it is over there... Looks a right pig of a job too  :(
To be honest it's one of the easiest DIY jobs as long as you get the new belt on in the right routing. Use a lever/bar to take the tension off, stick a long socket in to wedge it and keep the tension off then old belt off, new on and release the tensioner again.
There's a fairly recent thread somewhere with sketches of the belt routings for standard and aircon cars and lots of previous coverage on how to do it.

60% of the time it works everytime...

Carolyn

Spray the engine with a good degreaser.  You can use a jet wash, just keep it away from the very top of the engine.

As for the belt, look in 'how to's.  It helps to pop the cannister out (two little hoses and pull straight up).
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Bossworld

Quote from: ad_car_08 on July 21, 2018, 00:48
Quote from: Bossworld on July 20, 2018, 12:55

My thoughts were that the gasket may have a leak.. Good shout on cleaning it up too.
Sounds a stupid question, but what's the recommended way of doing this? Blindly taking a jet washer to it, seems a bit unstrategic and maybe catastrophic!?

I bought the squeeze trigger Gunk, wrapped plastic bags around the alternator and battery. Let the Gunk in, then rinsed off using the garden hose (didn't fancy trying the pressure washer but plenty of other folk have)

Tags: