Problems fitting lotus/Che style centre exit exhaust

Started by ad_car_08, July 20, 2018, 00:06

ad_car_08

... Long story short... It 'don't fit'...
Tried offering it up earlier, but the tail pipes foul the hanger for the cat, meaning it's way too far to the right to even contemplate fixing to the rest of the exhaust system.

Thought perhaps I need to tuck the tail pipes around the back of the Cat so the cat sits in the void between the tail pipes and the two cannisters, but there's no space. Plus I think the exhaust would be too far back and again...wouldn't mate up with the rest of the exhaust system in a month of Sundays.

Has anyone on here fitted one, who could offer me some advice please?
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Bcxbcx

I fitted (a malian) one recently.
It needed a bit of of persuasion to fit, and I wasn't initially convinced it would fit in there!

I think I hung it on the two main hangers first  and then did the connection with the cat up, slowly and evenly as possible (not that evenly), and pushing it into place.
Didn't use the bottom hanger.
Initially it was catching on the vertical bit of the body on the drivers side and so I moved it a bit and now the tail pipes clash with the cat some times (Only on high engine wobble moments like start up); this may be because it's an aftermarket cat.
I'm going to have to revisit when I have the chance and fettle it a bit, see if I can position it a bit better.

Looking at photos of different installations on the net, it seems that the fit can vary quite a lot.
Mine has required quite a chunk cutting out of the bumper, whereas some the tail pipes hang well below the bumper.

2000 W PFL in black

jim_jiminy

I sent mine back could never get it to fit with the CHE sports cat. Went for a custom exhaust in the end.

BahnStormer

Quote from: Bcxbcx on July 20, 2018, 10:23
I fitted (a Malian) one recently.

Any photo's? I'm tempted by those as a £275 stop-gap.... but I don't want any cutting at all....
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Bcxbcx

Quote from: BahnStormer on July 20, 2018, 12:09
Quote from: Bcxbcx on July 20, 2018, 10:23
I fitted (a Malian) one recently.

Any photo's? I'm tempted by those as a £275 stop-gap.... but I don't want any cutting at all....
I'll try to get photos later, but it does seem to be a high likelihood that you might need to do some cutting.
2000 W PFL in black

BahnStormer

Quote from: Bcxbcx on July 20, 2018, 14:54
...does seem to be a high likelihood that you might need to do some cutting.
Thanks - would be good to see - I've seen them with and without cutting, but I guess there's no way to tell until it's on the car and you're trying to get the bumper back on... kinda ruins it as a stop-gap solution...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

BahnStormer

does seem to be a high likelihood that you might need to do some cutting.

@Bcxbcx do you have a stock bumper / stock exhaust, etc? The guy selling these on eBay seems to think that you'd only need to cut aftermarket bodykits or if you have a different exhaust setup... says he's fitted one to his own car and to a friends and no cutting...

@ad_car_08 is your one a Malian or another brand doing Che/Lotus copies?

mikek

I've seen a few of these now and I think the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies in this case. A lot of fiddling, alot of fettling and some bumper cutting are required. There is no comparison to the original Janspeed centre exit exhaust which bolts straight on, looks great and sounds epic but costs twice as much second hand, if you can find one.
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

shnazzle

Exactly.
Cheap isn't always bad if you're willing to accept some fiddling.
...neutiquam erro.

Bcxbcx

Stock bumper, Toyosports manifold, aftermarket replacement cat (I believe the cat section is possibly a different shape from original).

I'm reasonably happy with it for now, the original was broken, and It'll do until I've saved up for an engine swap or turbo next year!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2000 W PFL in black

ad_car_08

Quote from: BahnStormer on July 20, 2018, 16:29
does seem to be a high likelihood that you might need to do some cutting.

@Bcxbcx do you have a stock bumper / stock exhaust, etc? The guy selling these on eBay seems to think that you'd only need to cut aftermarket bodykits or if you have a different exhaust setup... says he's fitted one to his own car and to a friends and no cutting...

@ad_car_08 is your one a Malian or another brand doing Che/Lotus copies?

You know what... I've not the foggiest who makes the exhaust I have! Bought it from another user on here who lived Bristol way, a couple of years ago. Only just stumped up the courage to start fitting it.
He said he'd imported it from Amur'ka and by the looks of the cheap looking bracket with hacked bit of rubber as a bush, that came with it, it didn't cost much. I'd love a Janspeed more than anything, but I can neither find one or have the spare funds to purchase one at such inflated price
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Tags: