Apexi Power Intake

Started by Anonymous, March 18, 2005, 13:14

Anonymous

Just been on japanparts and submitted an inquiry on this nifty piece of kit (Your fault Kanujunkie for saying how sexy it sounded) Anyway the quote said £68, is this right?
2 years ago I managed to fit a k&n induction kit to my old Mk1 MR2 in less than 2 hours   s:D :D s:D   Just hoping that this one is gonna be just as easy.

(Dammit the weather is good out there, got no where to stick my hardtop till nxt week  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )

Slacey

Fitting isn't complicated at all, it's just the brackets that can get confusing. And yes, the price sounds about right from Japan.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Thanks very much. Haven`t heard back from them yet, I know I`m being impatient, it`ll probably take a while yet.

Oh just slightly off topic... Is that avatar Josh Homme in that Queens of the stone age video?

xdesign

Guys the APEXi intake is not one of the best options. In fact I think it's a bad choice.

I have installed a TRD, APEXi, ARC and now I have a Green.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking.

markiii

any chance of some reasoning?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

dieamond

Quote from: "xdesign"Guys the APEXi intake is not one of the best options. In fact I think it's a bad choice.

I have installed a TRD, APEXi, ARC and now I have a Green.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking.

what's the best option in your mind ?

for me it's PPE !
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Slacey

Quote from: "FunkyMonkey"Oh just slightly off topic... Is that avatar Josh Homme in that Queens of the stone age video?
Quick OT answer - Yes!

BIG fan  s:D :D s:D  

Back OT folks!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I`m just after something that sounds good and looks good too, I know there is gonna be no power gain from it. Oh also something that isn`t going to ruin the engine itself, thats the most important thing   s:) :) s:)

xdesign

Reasoning... I can try!

The APEXi has a good sound, but the MR looses power in low PRMs. It gains some in high. Still it's in the engine bay. The air is too hot.

TRD filter in the stock box. Not doing much. No great sound, no gains/losses.

ARC: Very good filter, great quality, gains in low RPMs, gains in high PRMs, still in the engine bay, not too cool air coming in.

I installed a Green filter. It's like the PPE. It goes behind the battery and you lead a tube onto the side vent.

Amazing sound (maybe too loud for some) and great performance!
It's enough to say that the PFC measures the air temp coming in and it showed 15-20 C this time of year. Very cool! Then it's the dyno. I measured the MR and I got 125HP wheel power!!! Other mods, just a custom exhaust.

I don't have anything against APEXi, but why get only the sound when you can get the power as well?!?!?!

xdesign

Quote from: "FunkyMonkey"I`m just after something that sounds good and looks good too, I know there is gonna be no power gain from it. Oh also something that isn`t going to ruin the engine itself, thats the most important thing   s:) :) s:)

No air intake will ruin the engine.

Anonymous

Cheers xdesign, I`m gonna have a look at these green filters. Are they just as easy to install?

xdesign

Quote from: "FunkyMonkey"Cheers xdesign, I`m gonna have a look at these green filters. Are they just as easy to install?

Similar yes. You just have to remove the battery first.

That means the the ECU is reset. And that means that when you ride your car for the first time after installing such filter, you will be dissapointed. Relax, light a cigarette and drive around. The ECU will read the new settings and then you will have a blast!!!!!!

Anonymous

As long as its not too technical and comes with some sort of instructions i should be fine, i`m most likely to be the least mechanicaly minded person on this site i`m afraid.

markiii

no biggy, if you want a hand shout, your not far from me.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Thanks very much Mark, awfully nice of ya, i`ll keep that in mind.

Anonymous

This might be of some intrest, Looks like the test car is a FTO.
It would be intresting if it wos a MR

m http://www.ftooc.org/contents/pages/project/filter.htm m

Anonymous

Quote from: "xdesign"... dyno. I measured the MR and I got 125HP wheel power!!! Other mods, just a custom exhaust.

Do you have the power before you installed the intake? ...so that we know what the gain was?

xdesign

I do. I had the ARC filter on, but it was on a different dyno and not wheel power, so... not very helpful.

Anonymous

The aim of any CAI is to draw COLD air into the engine, and with some DIY and modification, you can actually use the Apexi Power Intake and draw cold air.

Pelican Racing from the Spyderchat Forum has an interesting custom intake design on his webiste  m http://www.pelicanracing.com/prd.intake.htm m

There is one other design that utilizes the stock intake system. You may wish to have a look at  m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtop ... ht=hai+cai m

Both designs will increase the MPG, as well as the HP. Though I think the design with the stock intake is the only one which will lower the interior sound. Check both sites for details.

Anonymous

The Pelican racing design does alter engine performance due to the shorter length of pipe between the throttle body and the air filter. This seems to result in a slight loss of low down torque but give a gain at the top end.

The second approach gains power throiughout the rev range but only by virtue of removing the stock restriction elbow behind the rear light. The dryer hose going from the sidevent to behind the fuse box does nothing thus you are better off simply replacing the stock elbow with a H&S inlet pipe and leaving the rest of the intake system as is. I know this because I tried it: http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6296&highlight=

dieamond

the PR design depends a lot of the quality of the filter used.

for me, it's the only interesting design

either you stay stock, and go for a straight pipe (TRD or H&S style)

either you switch to a home made PR design or buy a PPE intake

Injen, AEM, Apexi and ARC design have nearly no other interest than making more noise
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

rtbiscuit

is Xdesign still on here, if so

could you post me a pick of your green filter install,

which one did you buy, cos they don't seem to do one for the MR2 on their site, did you use the one from the 90-99 model, or is the kit universal?

and how much modifications did you have to do, like extending the MAF wiring etc?

also any one else reading this, PR don't seem to make theirs any more, is this right.?

and the one mentioned on spyder chat the link does not work anymore, i think the thread has gone.

does this still exsist, and any pics?

if i cant find what i like i may have to build my own custom jobbie round the Apexi.

for those of you following the PPE/apiro thread i shall keep you posted on what i do, and i people are interested i will organise a kit, depending.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

northernalex

nice one rt biscuit  s:) :) s:)   Keeping an eye on this one!
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

rtbiscuit

have bought the apexi, and will be modifying it to become a sealed unit.

hopefully
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

xdesign

Still here! I will take a photo and post it.

Tags: