Just Fitted TRD Front Strut brace

Started by markiii, August 3, 2003, 21:33

markiii

Well the title says it all.

Having been sitting in my garage for a month I finally put this on today. Pics to follow, when I finish off the cosmetics

My first reaction was;

oh my god.

Of all the mods I've done this was probably my biggest surprise. Everything else delivered what I expected this went one better.

Scuttle shake, almost gone
Steering response, in another league
body roll reduced.

Makes my 01 as solid SteveJ's 03.

and it even helped make my tyres feel better, and with these bloody orrible venturas that is going somewhat.

This just got promoted to my number 1 recommended 1st purchase, ahead of the sportivo and B&M shifter.

Get one you will be happy.

Mark.

Now if the member braces have as big an impact I shall be very pleased indeed.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Comer

TRD, Cusco, TRD, Cusco aaaaargggghhhh which one???  

I did want a Cusco but after seeing Phil's at JAE it looks a bit tricky to top the brake fluid.  It won't be often I know but I can see Mr T's finest being confused during a service if it needs doing  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

markiii

I'm thinking there may be a way to still use the bin lid with the TRD, watch this space.

Brake fluid aside, I'd go with whichever is cheaper unless you have a preference for the neater install possible with the cusco. Phil did a cracking job with his.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

where can i pick up one of these?
or would i have to mail order it and how much am i looking at ?

would it also help if i got one for the rear as well

markiii

the rear is noticable but not to the same degree. I'd personally say there are other areas that would benefit more from the cash being spent on them.

I fitted both because I bought them secondhand for less than the price of one of them new.

try  w www.japanparts.com w

or in the uk try Jase at MTTE, I can't remember there website, cue Martin as he bought his from them.

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"Now if the member braces have as big an impact I shall be very pleased indeed.

IMHO the member braces did a lot more than the front strut brace  s;) ;) s;)  Kinda had to relearn to drive the car after it...

Then again, I installed the member braces first. After that the front strut bar didn't make that big effect. So maybe it's just the one you do first that makes the biggest difference..?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Then again, I installed the member braces first. After that the front strut bar didn't make that big effect. So maybe it's just the one you do first that makes the biggest difference..?

I think you might be right there Tem; I found a massive difference from doing the antiflex plate, and a lesser (but still worthwile) improvement from the FSB.

I'm now wondering whether it's actually worth bothering with the member braces; given that they're the most expensive of the three, and I suspect the incremental improvement will be less, I'm thinking that the cash could be better spent elsewhere.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Brake fluid aside, I'd go with whichever is cheaper

That'll be the Cusco then, by about 50% (Yen 15800 vs Yen39000 it says on this post-it note on my monitor...)

I figure that for the once every year/two years that brake fluid needs changing, I can live with undoing the two bolts that attach the crossbar to the brackets; it'll take longer to find a socket than to do it.

Quoteunless you have a preference for the neater install possible with the cusco. Phil did a cracking job with his.

Thanks   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

For anyone about to do the Cusco, the templates supplied (that mark out where you're supposed to cut) are totally useless, and bear no relation to reality whatsoever. All you can use them for is the basic outline of the shape to be cutout, NOT position. You have to work that out yourself   s:? :? s:?

Tem

Quote from: "pmdye"I'm now wondering whether it's actually worth bothering with the member braces; given that they're the most expensive of the three, and I suspect the incremental improvement will be less, I'm thinking that the cash could be better spent elsewhere.

Oh btw, I had the antiflex-plate on when I added the member braces and it still made a big difference. Bigger than the antiflex-plate.

I guess I could take the FSB off just to see the difference it makes with all the other bracing  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Comer

I did the front 03 member braces first and was really pleased with the reduction in scuttle shake especially on badly surfaced roads.  I also felt that the car was more direct when steering round corners, I'm sure that I don't turn the steering as quickly as I used to and get the same result.  

I fitted the antiflex next and it seemed reduced the rattles around me within the car but not too much else.

I'm keen to fit the front strut brace to see if it complements the member braces but it could well be that the first lot of any additional bracing improves the car and then less each time something is added.  Thats why I wonder whether it's worth added any of the TOM's Racing braces too (see thread 'How much bracing??).
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Tags: