Intercooler positioning if you're turboing a 2zz

Started by michaelb, November 6, 2018, 11:38

michaelb

I don't know why it would be crap, it's still a Garrett and the difference with journal bearing and ball bearing should be relatively little with these small turbo's.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

michaelb

This turbo build is just for a bit of extra driving fun guys, I'm not sticking it on a track or anything. It will likely do a couple of hundred miles a year

dan944

Quote from: michaelb on November 10, 2018, 21:00
I don't know why it would be crap, it's still a Garrett and the difference with journal bearing and ball bearing should be relatively little with these small turbo's.

I was more thinking of if you got a Chinese turbo or something really. A refurbed Garret should be pretty decent. What's the warranty?
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

michaelb

One year warranty

michaelb

I'm also looking 1050cc injectors, anyone seen any decent prices for them out there?

dan944

Quote from: michaelb on November 11, 2018, 09:28
I'm also looking 1050cc injectors, anyone seen any decent prices for them out there?

Just wondering what the reason is for going that big. Out of curiosity.

I don't know the exact figure off hand but my 670 injectors are operating at quite a low duty cycle. I'd have though 1050 may be a little big.

michaelb

It's what my mechanic friend thought. Perhaps they are too big?

dan944

Quote from: michaelb on November 11, 2018, 09:39
It's what my mechanic friend thought. Perhaps they are too big?

There's calculators online that can give you an estimation.

Example.

Using my car, injector size came up at 440cc   
Most people go for 470 for a turbo built so it's about spot on.
Mine were a bit too big but Greg was happy they worked well as they are Siemens Dekas so we stuck with them.

Running the figures for your aims. Estimating 300hp at a duty cycle of 0.8 (80%) your looking at 535 cc.

I'd try and get some second opinions but I think 670cc should be good. And I picked up a set for £120

michaelb

Cool, thanks Dan. 1050cc does seem a bit big in that case!

dan944

michaelb

Ok, cheers bud. I want to get the big bits bought first if I can - turbo, manifold, injectors and intercooler. My mechanic friend is talking about fabricating an aluminium intercooler

dan944

Quote from: michaelb on November 11, 2018, 09:59
Ok, cheers bud. I want to get the big bits bought first if I can - turbo, manifold, injectors and intercooler. My mechanic friend is talking about fabricating an aluminium intercooler

Just make sure it's as big as you can fit on.

My toyosport IC was only £50. Bought some sheet ally and bolted it on to holes that were already there and it's doing good. I think I had to put some rubber seal between the scoop and the IC though. I reckon you can get the 700mm IC on the back. Mines 550 IIRC.

michaelb

Thanks for the good advice mate!

dan944

Quote from: michaelb on November 11, 2018, 10:04

Have you seen spyderlee (YouTube) charge cooler reviews? You can get the parts for about £400. Seems a huge difference. But ultimately you can't beat a charge cooler.

A lot less effort to IC though.

michaelb

Yeah, I'm having a chat with Lee later today hopefully. I've heard a few differing opinions on the charge cooler vs intercooler. Some folk believe if an intercooler is done right, it will actually be better than a charge cooler.

dan944

Quote from: michaelb on November 11, 2018, 10:04

Anytime.
Have you seen spyderlee (YouTube) charge cooler reviews? You can get the parts for about £400. Seems a huge difference. But ultimately you can't beat a charge cooler.

A lot less effort to IC though. ;)

dan944

Quote from: michaelb on November 11, 2018, 10:11
Yeah, I'm having a chat with Lee later today hopefully. I've heard a few differing opinions on the charge cooler vs intercooler. Some folk believe if an intercooler is done right, it will actually be better than a charge cooler.

I think there's definitely ways of doing it. Porsche have used and IC before now so it must work.

But honestly. I don't think itll be as good as the charge cooler with rad up front.

michaelb

Quote from: 1979scotte on November 10, 2018, 19:27
Right I'm going to say it and I'm sorry if it causes offence.
I think you're having your pants pulled down.
Pretty sure I paid 300 ish for a refurbed TB2559 which is an old rubbish turbo can't see how you would get a modified gt2860 for not much more.

You a have a state of the art ECU and you're looking at cheap crap turbos it's the wrong way to go.
Hopefully you get lucky and it all works out.
I spoke to the chap and he told me that for a refurbished journal bearing GT2860 the price is a standard £300. The additional modification will cost approximately another £100-£120. He advised that I could go to AET as they have a great reputation, and he wouldn't be at all offended, but I would likely have to pay around another £100 for the refurbished turbo and another £50 for the modifications. He is able to source the turbo's cheaply and hasn't got many overheads, which means he can pass the savings onto his customers. He did say if it was a GT2860RS, then that would indeed be more expensive.

dan944

So...original question. In the current location, with ambient temps of about 12degrees. I took the motor for a blast and monitored intake temps.

Under hard boost down the m271 followed by traffic and repeated a few times. Peak temps were 30degrees. Dropping to about 23 after 2 minutes or so in traffic.
This is without my lid fan running which is still driving me crazy. [emoji1751]‍[emoji3603]

michaelb

Do you think the lid fan actually helps? I'd have thought it could even stall the engine at certain road speeds as the air should natural flow upwards?

I think the biggest problem isn't getting the  airflow in, it's getting the airflow out

dan944

Quote from: michaelb on November 11, 2018, 14:40
Do you think the lid fan actually helps? I'd have thought it could even stall the engine at certain road speeds as the air should natural flow upwards?

I think the biggest problem isn't getting the  airflow in, it's getting the airflow out

It sucks air out of the bay and throws it outwards.

Well...it will when it works [emoji23]

michaelb

Ah, that makes more sense now lol I wondered about make some vents to improve the flow of air out

dan944

Quote from: michaelb on November 11, 2018, 14:55
Ah, that makes more sense now lol I wondered about make some vents to improve the flow of air out

You can fit some vents in the rear corners and remove I'll of the insert plastics and replace with mesh.
It has been done.
The fan is only for static and slow speeds really. Trying to reduce heat soak a little.

Tags: