Which Sensor is Bank 1 sensor 2?

Started by Mikeymead, December 26, 2018, 11:07

Mikeymead

So to show her gratitude for me not really getting her anything for Christmas Toyah threw up an engine check light on my way home last night. Read the code this morning which came op as a P0136 (Bank 1, sensor 2)

So standing behind the the car is it the one on the left or right. I think I have a couple spare at work which I can try on Thursday.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

Spruce1990

I think it's the one on the left. I had bank one sensor one and the right one was replaced. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will give you the correct answer though!

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

shnazzle

That'll be the dreaded post-cat sensor at the bottom.

...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

Of course, it must be, the most awkwardly positioned and the "odd one" as it need a longer cable.
Sorry again Mike, Another, less than helpful observation.

Carolyn

Quote from: shnazzle on December 26, 2018, 11:31

Patrick is correct and so is Joesson.  Longer wire.  It can be a bit of a pig to get out.  If you have any trouble with it, bring her here, 'cos I've got the kit to deal with it.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Mikeymead

Quote from: Carolyn on December 26, 2018, 11:38
Quote from: shnazzle on December 26, 2018, 11:31

Patrick is correct and so is Joesson.  Longer wire.  It can be a bit of a pig to get out.  If you have any trouble with it, bring her here, 'cos I've got the kit to deal with it.

Well that is a bit of a bugger, I should have the old one from when I changed the cat but I couldn't remove it at the time though to be fair I didn't try too hard as I had a spare. Could the fact that I have a sports cat been a contributing factor to it's failure or just one of those things.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

Ardent

Hello Mike

Not surprisingly, I do not actually know the answer to your question.
Was it a new one that was fitted?
Branded or cheap?
I'm thinking one of those things.
A few others on here are running sports cats and I do not see a pattern of the same reporting senor failures.

Maybe they have but not reported.
Think that is unlikely though considering what does get reported on here 2 related or not.

Ardent

@Mikeymead

Just a thought. You have the code, are you sure the sensor requires replacement, or is it doing its job and telling you there is an issue elsewhere?
Have you red the data it is providing in something like torque pro.
What voltage is it producing?
Hows the fuel trims?
Could there be a small gas leak near the sensor location?

Mikeymead

It was an old one Jase, I didn't go any deeper than getting the code. Can check the things you suggest. Actually I do suspect  that there might be a leak, was on my list of things to check tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

jonbill

The error code is saying the heater circuit is dead. I think it's reasonable to assume the problem is the heater element in the sensor.

StuC

If it is the heater circuit, you can wire a resistor in place to get around it.

Got the link somewhere if you need it.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Ardent

JB
You sure about that?
P0136 does not refer to "heater" circuit as far as I can see.
Thought the heaters were pre rather than post cat.

shnazzle

Quote from: Ardent on December 26, 2018, 23:42
JB
You sure about that?
Both types have heaters. O2 sensors don't do shiiit under 600deg or something like that. Hence the o2 heaters...

Which is why I'm not a fan of the resistor "trick". It's a workaround at best to get through an MOT or something but when the engine is cold, and you're driving around low-load with cold sensors without heaters,... No bueno
...neutiquam erro.

jonbill

Quote from: Ardent on December 26, 2018, 23:42
JB
You sure about that?
Jason, you're right and I was wrong. I confidently misgoogled [emoji53] sorry!

P0136 means voltage too low from sensor, I. E. Signal too lean which the ecu thinks isn't plausible.
Still most likely a duff sensor.

BahnStormer

Quote from: Carolyn on March 29, 2018, 16:36
Bank 1  sensor 1 is towards the pulley end of the engine in the manifold.

Bank 2  sensor 1  is the other sensor in the manifold.

Bank 1  sensor 2 is just after the main cat and has a longer wire.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Mikeymead

So I checked the car over today and it turns out that the three amigos nuts had worked loose (Currently not the correct nuts, this will be amended) and the joint was leaking, gaskets seemed okay. Tightened all up, fault code turned off and so far it seems okay. Will use the car again for work tomorrow to see if the light comes back on. 

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Mikeymead on December 27, 2018, 20:15
So I checked the car over today and it turns out that the three amigos nuts had worked loose (Currently not the correct nuts, this will be amended) and the joint was leaking, gaskets seemed okay. Tightened all up, fault code turned off and so far it seems okay. Will use the car again for work tomorrow to see if the light comes back on.
Winner, winner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

That is a good result Mike. I don't remember anyone else reporting loose nuts on the three amigos. Usually quite the opposite.

jonbill

shnazzle

Quote from: Joesson on December 27, 2018, 22:08
That is a good result Mike. I don't remember anyone else reporting loose nuts on the three amigos. Usually quite the opposite.
Absolutely! Never heard of loose amigos.
Always a first for everything.
Quote from: jonbill on December 27, 2018, 22:24
Point to Jason!
Well spotted indeed! Just shows how used to it we are; sensors failing
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Jase the no technical prowess whatsoever diagnostic god.

I wish it was me. But I'm only regurgitating what I've picked up from others that know these things. I'm just standing on the shoulders of others.

Jase the humble.

PS early days. Mikey has to do at least 2 trips that meet a certain criteria and the light stay off yet.

Mikeymead

Went to and from work in it today about 30 mile round trip and no light. :D

Also was lucky enough while at work to use next doors 4 poster lift to gain better access to change the nuts to the correct ones, not sure why I didn't fit them first time :-\

StuC

@Mikeymead did you actually have the correct bits when you refitted it last time? Just thinking it may have been a stop gap solution to get you up and running again. Glad to see the light has gone out now. Good job!
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Mikeymead

Quote from: StuC on December 28, 2018, 17:07
@Mikeymead did you actually have the correct bits when you refitted it last time? Just thinking it may have been a stop gap solution to get you up and running again. Glad to see the light has gone out now. Good job!

To be honest I can't remember, may not have done but I thought that I had all the bits to do the job.

Tags: