Seized bolt removal ideas please

Started by dan944, January 2, 2019, 15:11

dan944

Good day wonderful people.

Replacing the wishbones and I cannot for the life of me remove the bolt show below. With a breaker bar I can get some turn on it but I'm fairly certain it's turning the whole bush.
What's the best option?
I've doused it in loads of plus gas and letting that do its thing.
Do I burn the bush and hope it releases?
Cut the bolt and just get new ones?
Any other ideas would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

M.J.S

Do you have an impact driver? I bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XKLYQZW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
for when I did the rear Subframe. The impact driver and Plusgas made short work of some very rusted in bolts back there.

Tried heating up the bolt? Getting it really hot may help break any rust.

dan944

Tried the impact driver. Looks like I may need to get some heat on it :/ it's quite close to the cv boot there so will need to be careful I guess.

M.J.S

Quote from: dan944 on January  2, 2019, 15:33
Tried the impact driver. Looks like I may need to get some heat on it :/ it's quite close to the cv boot there so will need to be careful I guess.

Did the bolt turn with the impact driver?

Are these are the ones you need to remove the bolt not the nut as the nut has ridges to hold it in place? Just checking they are coming out the right way.

Bossworld

Had the same problem last week. If you've got it moving at all then you're halfway there (even if it's just rotating the bolt and nut). My nearside isn't even spinning yet.

I hate to ask a stupid question but I'm assuming that now it's spinning, you've got a spanner or socket on the reverse to keep it still? The nut will come off the other side when the bolt is loosened.

I ended up buying a blowtorch for £30 from Toolstation - if I hadn't I think I'd still be trying to remove the 19mm bolt that goes through the underside of the bracing/other bush as well.

jvanzyl

Surely the best use of your time is to cut the bolt and put a new one on?
Then when the whole thing is out you can give it a good few whacks to knock it out?

james_ly

Depending on access, I'd be trying a big hammer and punch to knock it out. And if you can't get to that side, cut the head off and go the other way?
MR2 gone<br />GT86

dan944

Just to clarify, the nut is off but the bolt is seized to the bush.
I need to slide the bolt out to take the arm off but can't for the life of me move it.

Carolyn

Had me wondering there - what CV boot?? Ah!  Steering rack boot - got it. Find a bit of sheet metal you can jam in there as a heat shield.

A bit of heat might, then do the trick. 

If not:

It does look as though the head of the bolt HAS moved outwards somewhat. As James suggested,  I'd try knocking it back in and then out (put the nut loosely on the other end so you don't bash the threads) and keep doing that.  It might just shift after a bit of perseverance.

Sometimes these buggers seize solid in the bushing, and nothing will shift them.  The problem is then; how do you cut the bolt with the mounting bracket shaped the way it is?

I'd cut both ends as close to the bracket as possible and then use a burr in a die-grinder to remove more of the shaft of the bolt until it will come clear.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jonbill

If you lock the nut on the other side with a spanner, and use a, 6 sided socket on an 18" breaker bar, it'll either undo or you'll shear the head. Either way it'll come out.
Probably.

dan944

Quote from: Carolyn on January  2, 2019, 15:53
Had me wondering there - what CV boot?? Ah!  Steering rack boot - got it. Find a bit of sheet metal you can jam in there as a heat shield.

A bit of heat might, then do the trick. 

If not:

It does look as though the head of the bolt HAS moved outwards somewhat. As James suggested,  I'd try knocking it back in and then out (put the nut loosely on the other end so you don't bash the threads) and keep doing that.  It might just shift after a bit of perseverance.

Sometimes these buggers seize solid in the bushing, and nothing will shift them.  The problem is then; how do you cut the bolt with the mounting bracket shaped the way it is?

I'd cut both ends as close to the bracket as possible and then use a burr in a die-grinder to remove more of the shaft of the bolt until it will come clear.
Thats the one [emoji23] incorrect terminology on my behalf.

I'll invest in a blowtorch then. I was wondering where I'd have to cut it if that was the case

Call the midlife!

Do you have an air hammer? Or even an electric one? If you tap a ball splitter or similar between the sleeve and the housing to wedge it tight then use the air hammer on the bolt head it might shock it free. More of a vibration than just hitting with a normal hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

dan944

Quote from: Call the midlife! on January  2, 2019, 18:39
Do you have an air hammer? Or even an electric one? If you tap a ball splitter or similar between the sleeve and the housing to wedge it tight then use the air hammer on the bolt head it might shock it free. More of a vibration than just hitting with a normal hammer.

Also a good call. I'm going fishing on Friday instead of tomorrow now so tomorrow I'm gonna  beat/burn the hell out of it until it drops off. Failing that I'll take a 9" grinder to it an hope for the best [emoji23]

Call the midlife!

Quote from: dan944 on January  2, 2019, 19:02

Also a good call. I'm going fishing on Friday instead of tomorrow now so tomorrow I'm gonna  beat/burn the hell out of it until it drops off. Failing that I'll take a 9" grinder to it an hope for the best [emoji23]
Aaah, fishing, I've promised myself I'm going to get back to my fishing this year. But we'll see...

dan944

Quote from: Call the midlife! on January  2, 2019, 19:16

Aaah, fishing, I've promised myself I'm going to get back to my fishing this year. But we'll see...

Took a new pb catfish in the summer. Now I'm hooked again

No pun intended [emoji23]

Call the midlife!

Quote from: dan944 on January  2, 2019, 19:17

Nice! Something I've never caught, was going to take H to the Ebro a few years back but then he got into girls [emoji23].

dan944

Quote from: Call the midlife! on January  2, 2019, 19:19

Nice! Something I've never caught, was going to take H to the Ebro a few years back but then he got into girls [emoji23].

[emoji23] typical.
I've found it's equally as expensive as cars these days [emoji1751]‍[emoji3603] not ideal!!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: dan944 on January  2, 2019, 19:20
Quote from: Call the midlife! on January  2, 2019, 19:19

[emoji23] typical.
I've found it's equally as expensive as cars these days [emoji1751]‍[emoji3603] not ideal!!
To be fair it was as much the fear of him being dragged off the bank [emoji23]
I've got a shed full of boilies and groundbait etc but I don't imagine they're particularly fresh now! But that's a discussion for a different forum [emoji23]

dan944

So. Thank you all!!!

Much heat applied and more movement (lateral) was achieved. Would not move past a certain point though.

1. Apply heat.
2. Get as much movement. In every direction as possible
3. Cut head off bolt.
4. Don't touch the bits that glow....even with gloves.

It's out albeit in 2 pieces. I've currently stuck an engine mount bolt that I have spare in there just so I can get the rest on.

BUT!!!

Can I be assured that this is not normal?

Many thanks

Bossworld

Assuming that's not a fish eye lens, no it should be straight.

I can't even get the bolt moving, I've bought the expansion set to my Irwins so going to have another go after applying some serious heat.

dan944

Quote from: Bossworld on January  3, 2019, 16:42

I can't even get the bolt moving, I've bought the expansion set to my Irwins so going to have another go after applying some serious heat.
I'll get a pair of new ones.
I was pretty certain it's meant to be straight but just needed to check.

I was quite annoyed I cut the head off because the bolt was ok otherwise :/

I got the bolt red hot at either end and had to spent about 20 mins knocking it side to side after I got easy rotational movement.

I'm sure it'll fly out once you get the big guns on it.

Carolyn

Quote from: dan944 on January  3, 2019, 16:45

I got the bolt red hot at either end and had to spent about 20 mins knocking it side to side after I got easy rotational movement.

Well done Dan.  Perseverance!  AND you've found the loose bits at the back.  Excellent. ;D

dan944

Quote from: Carolyn on January  3, 2019, 19:04
Quote from: dan944 on January  3, 2019, 16:45

Well done Dan.  Perseverance!  AND you've found the loose bits at the back.  Excellent. ;D
Thank you.
I've definitely got more patience than before the two got under my skin.
I don't think I've ever left her on axle stands overnight :o haha.
Can't wait to drive her once the tracking is done though. Should be dreamy!!

Bossworld

So... I've got every last bolt and ball joint off the nearside, with the exception of the bolt in the original picture.

My bigger issue is that the nut is still attached. I've tried standing on a breaker bar with a 17mm Irwins socket on both the bolt and nut and neither is budging.

I reckon Carolyn's post is spot on and the bolt is presumably stuck in the bush.

I'm getting more accurate with the angle grinder and dremel given the fight so far but I'm still a bit nervous about taking the head of the bolt off if the nut is still on there.

Is there any mileage in trying a third round of blowtorch or do I just need to bite the bullet and chop stuff up/get the drill out?

Carolyn

I'd get seriously bored if I spent more than an hour on a bolt like that.

Then the cutting/grinding kit would be coming out.  Wouldn't be bothering with the Dremel, though.

I would cut and grind as close to the bracket as possible.  Then I'd use a fat burr to take enough extra length of either end of the bolt, so that the a-arm drops out.

Mind you, I'm tooled up for that kind of stuff.

Tags: