Feesability of running 195/55/15 all round on PFL track car

Started by pwackmr2, January 16, 2019, 20:19

pwackmr2

Hello All
Long time lurker first time poster.

I am currently sorting out a 02 PFL which I picked up for peanuts as an MOT failure to convert it to a mild track day only car.

Im currently doing a budget conversion

I have put drilled/grooved discs and yellow stuff pads all round( plus pass side handbrake cable)

Decat Monifold

Full ProFlow exhaust with sports CAT

Full fluid change + spark plugs

Just ready to install new lowered stiffer springs and a Cold air induction kit.(hopefully in the next 2 weeks before a possible track day at oulton park on the 3rd Feb)

I did my first track day in it at three sisters on sunday which was great , no problems from the car what so ever.

The only thing letting it down was its on accelera budget tyres and i could feel the side walls screaming for help

My question is --- I have been offered 4 195/55/15 track tyres for peanuts from a friend of a friend

There part worn but in excellent condition , the car currently has 195/50/15 front and 205/50/15 on the back.

I dont think there would be any issue but just wanted to get other peoples take ?

I believe at some point the standard front tyre size was 185/55/15 so the 55 profile tyre has been used before on the MR2.

Thanks

PWACKMR2

pwackmr2

Forgot to say . These would just be used for a couple of yrackdays until funds allow a new set of AD08s at the correct sizes.

delhusband

Hi, welcome! sorry, I'm not much use, but pretty sure others will be along shortly with some advice  :)
Hate pointy animals

jonbill

I'm pretty sure I read another thread on here that said a number of people run that.
I'm sure it'll be fine. You're there to have fun right?
I wouldn't think you'd notice the difference between 195@30psi and 205@32psi.

Kaveney

I run front 195/50/15 and 225/45/16 rear and have been good on track so far with NS2-R rubber .

james_ly

I switched from 185/215 to 185/205 and it sharpened it up nicely. Very little understeer in the dry... the race regulations is 195/205 I think.
I think a square setup, driving fast on track, you would need to be very comfortable with oversteer!
MR2 gone<br />GT86

pwackmr2

Just an update , ended getting hold of some part worn R888s instead, so i now have 195/50/15 front and 205/50/15 rear.

Hopefully they will make an improvement on my budget acceleras :)

Tags: