2 Piece brake rotors

Started by Nvy, February 6, 2019, 15:41

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on February 10, 2019, 22:35
Quote from: shnazzle on February 10, 2019, 21:21
but the severe  reduction in unsprung weight is attractive

On that note:

What/how did you weigh Dev? Was that netto 9 lbs in all for both sides? 2.0 kilograms per wheel?

9lbs for both sides combined. It was originally estimated by the person who developed the brackets and when I compared the weight myself measuring old vs new including the lines it was approximately that figure but I don't have or remember the exact number.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on February 10, 2019, 23:33
9lbs for both sides combined. It was originally estimated by the person who developed the brackets and when I compared the weight myself measuring old vs new including the lines it was approximately that figure but I don't have or remember the exact number.

That is worthwhile!!

Better modulation ánd reduced unsprung weight.

While keeping an eye on whether a set may become a group thing, will be looking into how to get them approved and added in the vehicle documents.

Nvy

Quote from: Petrus on February 12, 2019, 14:10

That is worthwhile!!

While keeping an eye on whether a set may become a group thing, will be looking into how to get them approved and added in the vehicle documents.

There is a thread on spyderchat where a guy made a set of discs(rly expensive shit) and shaved another 2lbs off the discs which for me is a win but that was the brakes will go to 3k pounds all corners.

Dev

Quote from: Nvy on February 12, 2019, 14:27
Quote from: Petrus on February 12, 2019, 14:10

That is worthwhile!!

There is a thread on spyderchat where a guy made a set of discs(rly expensive poopoo) and shaved another 2lbs off the discs which for me is a win but that was the brakes will go to 3k pounds all corners.

I have seen that thread and it was not worth it for me. The calipers were a better value for both cost and performance. If Im gong to spend money on brakes I want there to be a noticeable improvement over the OEM but contrary to popular assumptions they don't make me stop any faster.
Looks wise I think they look great and proportional but others might hate them because they look small.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on February 12, 2019, 19:23but contrary to popular assumptions they don't make me stop any faster.

You are spot on!
Because the TYRES are the limiting factor.

That observer, better calipers do give better modulation = better control.

Dudi

Quote from: Petrus on February 16, 2019, 11:27
Quote from: Dev on February 12, 2019, 19:23but contrary to popular assumptions they don't make me stop any faster.

You are spot on!
Because the TYRES are the limiting factor.

That observer, better calipers do give better modulation = better control.

That's not true in all circumstances. If you're tracking the car some calipers and discs have better ability to dissipate discs. Thermal properties of tyres are very rarely going to deem them useless however I've experienced losing a brake pedal (which ultimately is the fluid but the components further upstream contribute) and it's pretty absolute when they're past their use.

Petrus

Quote from: Dudi on February 16, 2019, 14:55
That's not true in all circumstances. If you're tracking the car some calipers and discs have better ability to dissipate discs. Thermal properties of tyres are very rarely going to deem them useless however I've experienced losing a brake pedal (which ultimately is the fluid but the components further upstream contribute) and it's pretty absolute when they're past their use.

If you go bombing down the mountain roads in the heat of summer over here you will be boiling brake fluids  ;)

Been there, done that; even melted high melting temp. bearing grease  :P

The point being that under non extreme conditions the OEM brakes are more than capable to push the tyres to the limits.

shiny

My brake set up came from spyderchat brackets and lines (jimbo) and calipers from Rally Design.

Tags: