Zero manifold

Started by Gaz mr-s, March 4, 2019, 21:16

Gaz mr-s

Zero manifold with ceramic coating by Camcoat.

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

ooooohhhhhh....... aaaaaaaahhhhh

Gaz mr-s

I'm hoping to get a cat made by Zero, but I won't be getting it ceramic coated, - expense, probably not worth it heat wise, & time.  Want to get car work under way.

shnazzle

One thing I have noticed. Mine's been on for a couple of weeks now and it's still shiny. It hasn't gone black yet. I guess that's the difference in steel quality for you
...neutiquam erro.

Gaz mr-s

Here's a little amusement, stainless still has some iron content, - have any of you gone over the zero with a magnet?

Carolyn

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on March  5, 2019, 11:14
Here's a little amusement, stainless still has some iron content, - have any of you gone over the zero with a magnet?

Stainless is mostly iron. Iron with a bit of chromium.  It's the way it's alloyed that affects it's magnetism.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on March  5, 2019, 11:14
I would hope it's non magnetic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

The manifold indeed non-magnetic. I've tried. Kevin said he uses high-chromium content high quality steel. So, no mucking about. Reflected in the price I guess. All the pipework for my new cat was also non-magnetic. Unfortunately my cat was a bit, so I won't be wrapping the actual cat box.

...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

They use all 304 which is austenitic, self healing, so any knocks or scratches shouldn't rust either. (The joys of studying steel in concrete).
Having said that and definitely not casting any aspersions, the Chinese have developed a grade of stainless that has all the physical appearances and non magnetic state of 304/316 but only survives for a year or so in the same applications. So the age old magnetic test isn't necessarily a guarantee anymore.
Reputable sourcing is the key..[emoji1303]

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March  5, 2019, 11:36
They use all 304 which is austenitic, self healing, so any knocks or scratches shouldn't rust either. (The joys of studying steel in concrete).
Having said that and definitely not casting any aspersions, the Chinese have developed a grade of stainless that has all the physical appearances and non magnetic state of 304/316 but only survives for a year or so in the same applications. So the age old magnetic test isn't necessarily a guarantee anymore.

That's interesting. Typical! Can't trust anything anymore these days
...neutiquam erro.

Gaz mr-s

I'd checked too....hence the post.  But the magnetic attraction is different for the different parts, so I assumed it had different steels & asked Kevin.  He was baffled.  "All 304" he believed.  It bugged him, so he Googled it & got back to me.

304 stainless steels are austenitic, when they cool, the iron remains in the form of austenite (gamma iron), a phase of iron which is nonmagnetic. The different phases of solid iron correspond to different crystal structures. In other alloys of steel, this high-temperature phase of iron transforms to a magnetic phase when the metal cools. The presence of nickel in the stainless steel alloys stabilizes austenite against this phase transition as the alloy cools to room temperature. This corresponds to a somewhat larger magnetic susceptibility than we might expect for other nonmagnetic materials, but is still well below what might be considered magnetic.
However, this does not mean that you should expect to measure such a low susceptibility on any item of 304 stainless steel that you encounter. Any process which can change the crystal structure of stainless steel can cause austenite to be converted to the ferromagnetic martensite or ferrite forms of iron. These processes include cold working and welding. It is also possible for austenite to spontaneously convert to martensite at low temperatures. To complicate matters further, the magnetic properties of these alloys depend on the alloy composition. Within the allowed ranges of variation of Ni and Cr, significant differences in magnetic properties may be observed for a given alloy.

;) ;)

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on March  5, 2019, 11:37
Quote from: Call the midlife! on March  5, 2019, 11:36

That's interesting. Typical! Can't trust anything anymore these days
Nope. And that's straight from the Powerflow technicians and you'd think you could trust them..[emoji23]
Might explain a lot about the influx of budget, Ali Baba pipes that are falling apart after 6 months though.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on March  5, 2019, 11:48
I'd checked too....hence the post.  But the magnetic attraction is different for the different parts, so I assumed it had different steels & asked Kevin.  He was baffled.  "All 304" he believed.  It bugged him, so he Googled it & got back to me.

304 stainless steels are austenitic, when they cool, the iron remains in the form of austenite (gamma iron), a phase of iron which is nonmagnetic. The different phases of solid iron correspond to different crystal structures. In other alloys of steel, this high-temperature phase of iron transforms to a magnetic phase when the metal cools. The presence of nickel in the stainless steel alloys stabilizes austenite against this phase transition as the alloy cools to room temperature. This corresponds to a somewhat larger magnetic susceptibility than we might expect for other nonmagnetic materials, but is still well below what might be considered magnetic.
However, this does not mean that you should expect to measure such a low susceptibility on any item of 304 stainless steel that you encounter. Any process which can change the crystal structure of stainless steel can cause austenite to be converted to the ferromagnetic martensite or ferrite forms of iron. These processes include cold working and welding. It is also possible for austenite to spontaneously convert to martensite at low temperatures. To complicate matters further, the magnetic properties of these alloys depend on the alloy composition. Within the allowed ranges of variation of Ni and Cr, significant differences in magnetic properties may be observed for a given alloy.

;) ;)
Yup. In general terms, stock/unmolested 304 should be non magnetic but once you start to change its state the areas around also change.
One of the reasons it's not advisable to weld stainless rebar in an application without using some other form of galvanic protection before you pour your concrete.
Also why some stainless manifolds rust at the flange welds.

shnazzle

All getting to complicated :)
I'm just going to assume my Zero won't be destroyed for as long as I have it and leave it at that
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on March  5, 2019, 11:57
I'm just going to assume my Zero won't be destroyed for as long as I have it and leave it at that
Likewise! Unlike the one it's replacing on mine with brackets falling off.[emoji38]

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March  5, 2019, 12:01
Quote from: shnazzle on March  5, 2019, 11:57
Likewise! Unlike the one it's replacing on mine with brackets falling off.[emoji38]

Haha. And unlike my cracked stock mani. I wonder if I'm the first one with a cracked stock mani.
Also, have you compared the size of the primaries of Zero vs Stock? Rather large difference
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: