Nvy's car toy

Started by Nvy, March 21, 2019, 13:03

Nvy

After long research and so on i became an owner of 2000 year silver roadster. The engine was replace by Toyota in 2008 and has currently 55k miles on it. 2 years ago due to bad suspension and my disrespect to the road conditions i spun and broke all the wheels + suspension bits. Since then i have replaced the arms but was scared to drive before i sort it all. 

Things on the list that will happen in a month time:
1. Rotors + pads all around. Went with Mtec discs + yellow stuff pads all around. Not the best pads but still good enough.
2. Superpro bush kit.
3. MeisterR coilovers.
4. TopSpeed Decat pipe(i already have toyo manifold). The flex joint of my current one is not up to the task anymore.
5. Wheel bearings, in the process of breaking everything it happened that i made the bearings noisy so now ill have to replace them all.
6. Dev's door bushes.
7. Middle brace from Steve, he told me ill have it soon. Maybe 2-3 weeks time, who knows.
8. TRD rear spoiler.
9. Steering pump removal.
10. If i have LSD - Tranny rebuild + Clutch + Lighter flywheel.

Wish list:
1. Full respray.
2. Hardtop.
3. More bracing custom designed by me.
4. Custom lighter exterior parts.
5. Wing - following Petrus quite close on his mods.

Whats sitting at home with no idea when im going to fit:
1. Turbo kit around GT2554r.
2. Link G4 Storm

My idea is first to get used with the car and to start driving in NA form and then will do the turbo plus the other goodies.

This is it, i will upload pics once i take some.

Nvy

So couple of things done and the car has improved a lot, list of things done:

1. Rotors + pads all around. Yellow stuff pads rear, ATE front. The pedal has a lot of travel and i dont rly like it but idk what can fix that.
2. Superpro bush kit.
3. MeisterR coilovers.
4. TopSpeed Decat pipe(i already have toyo manifold).
5. Wheel bearings.
6. Oil change + filters.

W/o the cat the sound is rly nice. Sitting at 2k rpms is quiet but once I step on it things get loud rly fast. Still getting used to everything but the initial impression is quite nice.

Brace came and still waiting for the damper from ebay and will fit them after that. It gets better by the day.

Call the midlife!

Good effort. Re the brake travel, did you bleed them well after the work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Nvy

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 20, 2019, 18:17

Yeah, they were the same before anything was done to them so idk, maybe its the car coz on my other cars the travel is way less. Like on the 2 i need to press the pedal half way before it starts slowing down.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Nvy on April 20, 2019, 18:40

Yeah, they were the same before anything was done to them so idk, maybe its the car coz on my other cars the travel is way less. Like on the 2 i need to press the pedal half way before it starts slowing down.
Maybe worth giving them a good bleed still and check all your vacuum hoses for splits at the ends. Did you refresh the brake fluid? It has a finite lifespan and will deteriorate over time or if you get water in it.

60% of the time it works everytime...

Nvy

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 20, 2019, 18:48
Quote from: Nvy on April 20, 2019, 18:40

Maybe worth giving them a good bleed still and check all your vacuum hoses for splits at the ends. Did you refresh the brake fluid? It has a finite lifespan and will deteriorate over time or if you get water in it.

Yeah, last time it was refreshed. I need to check all the hoses as the car is already legal here(18+) and the rubber can go bad when old. I think ill look for a kit to refresh everything(rubber) in the engine bay.  Im also getting pops when get it out of gear and just replaced the mid pipe with non cat one so its not the flex joint. I will have some time tomorrow to have a look :) Will also post a pic of the car, shes dirty but no matter :D

Nvy

Guys any idea if i can run BMC CDA with 3" pipe and maf adapter? Want to make a short intake for my 1zz.

@shnazzle @dan944

dan944

I used a bmc cda with a 45 degree silicone hose, I think 70mm ally pipe and placed it behind the battery. It's tight though.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Nvy

Quote from: dan944 on April 25, 2019, 11:36
I used a bmc cda with a 45 degree silicone hose, I think 70mm ally pipe and placed it behind the battery. It's tight though.

I bought a pipe with welded adapter on it and its 3" i can get a 70mm to 76 mm 45 degree if it exists :D but will that screw my MAF readings?

dan944

Quote from: Nvy on April 25, 2019, 11:38
Quote from: dan944 on April 25, 2019, 11:36

I bought a pipe with welded adapter on it and its 3" i can get a 70mm to 76 mm 45 degree if it exists :D but will that screw my MAF readings?

That'll work. I run it for about 5 years. Not sure what the maf affect will be though.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Nvy

So latest news about the car are not so great.

First the gearbox started whining, i guess it was there but i didnt have the chance to drive a lot during the winter. So 1-2-3 are whining sub 2300 rpms and there is slight whine on decelerating maybe in all gears but i tried it in 3rd again in the same rev range. The whine is coming from the back and increases with the revs until it stops past 2300 thats why i suspect the gearbox. Will try to replace the fluid with Fuchs Titan 75w-90 Gl5 that i currently have from couple of years ago but i doubt its gonna change the sound.

Do you think it could be something else? Vacuum leak, exhaust leak? Gearbox shifts like a champ just the rear is sometimes tricky, the car would go in gear but will move like when u are not using the clutch and a bang would be heard. Exhaust catless midpipe was fitted but with liquid gasket because i did not have anything else to use, it was purchased 2nd hand.

Second issue i have is with the engine, it revs quite high sometimes even when hot but i give this to the idle control valve, i need to take off the throttle body to check it out. Why I suspect it is because the car doesnt rev like the other ones that i have seen in videos around here on the forum. Other than that i have heard a metallic sound but i think its something that rattles and is not happy coz i did couple of high rev runs in the  twisties around and it was fine. Still not sure tho. After the last labour prices i dropped the guys who were working on the car and will look for somebody else but good mechanics are hard to come by these days.

Couple of questions:
What gaskets do i need when taking the throttle body off? Can a newbie do it at home with limited amount of tools?
Can i change the gearbox fluid in the garage with no lift? I think its a bit tight to do so, car is a bit lowered.
Do i need anything else than oil for the gearbox? Any gaskets or anything?

Nvy

Car is in one piece finally. Yday I managed to fit the standard exhaust and god such a difference between TTE and OEM. I cant believe, it sounds like another car. No cats at all + OEM seems to be quiet to until 3000 rpms I can only imagine if I had all the cats in place.

Being quieter made the other noises that should not be there appear so I guess ill have to repair my gearbox and some other unpleasant noises. Still no idea if its the chain or the gearbox tho.

james_ly

My gearbox is pretty noisy too, particularly in 3rd on the overrun. Over 100k miles, so plenty of life left in yours hopefully. I wouldn't bother trying to change the oil without lifting the car - might be possible but jack and axle stands the way to go for sure.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

shnazzle

Quote from: Nvy on August 22, 2019, 06:28Car is in one piece finally. Yday I managed to fit the standard exhaust and god such a difference between TTE and OEM. I cant believe, it sounds like another car. No cats at all + OEM seems to be quiet to until 3000 rpms I can only imagine if I had all the cats in place.

Being quieter made the other noises that should not be there appear so I guess ill have to repair my gearbox and some other unpleasant noises. Still no idea if its the chain or the gearbox tho.
Out of curiosity, why did you go back to stock? Too loud?
...neutiquam erro.

Nvy

Quote from: shnazzle on August 22, 2019, 10:25
Quote from: Nvy on August 22, 2019, 06:28Car is in one piece finally. Yday I managed to fit the standard exhaust and god such a difference between TTE and OEM. I cant believe, it sounds like another car. No cats at all + OEM seems to be quiet to until 3000 rpms I can only imagine if I had all the cats in place.

Out of curiosity, why did you go back to stock? Too loud?

I wanted to sell it to fund my turbo stuff. I will have more stuff to sale but need to find a new mechanic to work on the car. In the winter Im going to turbo the car with 2554r. :)

Later I found out that its stupid loud. Its fun but not for long trips.

Nvy

Quote from: james_ly on August 22, 2019, 09:04My gearbox is pretty noisy too, particularly in 3rd on the overrun. Over 100k miles, so plenty of life left in yours hopefully. I wouldn't bother trying to change the oil without lifting the car - might be possible but jack and axle stands the way to go for sure.

Mine is more noisy when accelerating, on overrun there is no noise.

m1tch

My gearbox is fairly noisy, I have also lost the ability to keep it in 6th (think I circlip has popped off), still holds whatever power the engine is making at 178k miles so far.

Nvy

Quote from: james_ly on August 22, 2019, 09:04My gearbox is pretty noisy too, particularly in 3rd on the overrun. Over 100k miles, so plenty of life left in yours hopefully. I wouldn't bother trying to change the oil without lifting the car - might be possible but jack and axle stands the way to go for sure.

Do I need to jack both ends of the car or just the rear?

james_ly

Quote from: Nvy on August 28, 2019, 09:18

Do I need to jack both ends of the car or just the rear?

I did just the back - stick jack under rear engine mount and then stands on the sills. But probably better to get the car level if possible.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Nvy

Soooo aux belt tensioner replaced today. After some cursing and trial and error i did it. Quite satisfied with the result - one of the knocking sounds is gone but noticed something else. I went for a drive and the car would start to make strange noise after 4500 rpms and after 5000 it starts to vibrate a bit. It makes a noise similar to dyno when you are measuring horses, no idea what to look for 1st. It does it on acceleration and deceleration, can it be tranny?

The noise is not there when driving slow or when not using high revs.

Nvy

So the noise and vibration are located - shot alternator bearings. Im replacing the alternator this weekend if I can of course. I will collect the family car tomorrow so wont use the 2 for a run around.
Just replaced the tires with brand new Fulda Kristall Control hp2 in 195/55/15 all around. I know that its no fun but wont drive the car much, just want the tires to be on for some mapping and occasional short drives in the winter.

I have a question @shnazzle @Carolyn :
The steering is quite awful, it needs more steering input to turn and feels like im steering and the car needs a second to follow. I think its down to tire pressure but wanted to ask you about it? It could be due to the taller and more flexible side wall but I doubt it. The difference is quite dramatic compared to the Advans.

shnazzle

My first thought is steering universal joint gone
...neutiquam erro.

Nvy

Quote from: shnazzle on November  4, 2019, 16:04My first thought is steering universal joint gone

Its brand new and the response got lost after the tires change. All the suspension parts were replaced the last year too.

Carolyn

The tyres at the rear are much too small.

The stagger between front and rear is important.

On a Facelift car, the ideal is 215/45 rear  and 185/50 front.  1295 front is fine with the 215 at the back.

Pre facelift: 205/45  and 185/50/

Not surprised the crappy steering came with the change of rubber.

Those sizes and profiles are just plain wrong. ;)
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Nvy

Quote from: Carolyn on November  4, 2019, 16:33The tyres at the rear are much too small.

The stagger between front and rear is important.

On a Facelift car, the ideal is 215/45 rear  and 185/50 front.  1295 front is fine with the 215 at the back.

Pre facelift: 205/45  and 185/50/

Not surprised the crappy steering came with the change of rubber.

Those sizes and profiles are just plain wrong. ;)

I also think its due to too much camber and too tall tires but wanted to ask to be sure. Ill double check the pressures too. I could have gone with 205/55 in the rear, it would be way better me thinks but they would be 10 mm taller.

Tags: