Ticky ticky...

Started by Call the midlife!, April 7, 2019, 20:35

Call the midlife!

So this is how it ended up by the time I got home from the Dales drive. Bearing in mind the stage 2 cams and dual spring valvetrain I don't know if this is normal for stronger springs and valves or not.
I imagine I'm going to have to take the cover off and give everything an eyeball at least, regardless.
https://youtu.be/-xttvO_tThk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

jvanzyl

It does sound a bit like a typewriter..... [emoji848]

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Call the midlife!

Fairly confident it's valvetrain rather than bearing?

jonbill

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April  7, 2019, 20:49

Yes sounds like valves. Doesn't sound good. [emoji53]

Call the midlife!

Quote from: jonbill on April  7, 2019, 21:11
Quote from: Call the midlife! on April  7, 2019, 20:49

Yes sounds like valves. Doesn't sound good. [emoji53]
Fill me full of good cheer why don't you??[emoji23][emoji23]
Got progressively worse as the afternoon wore on and that was recorded on cold start up. Everything was nice and tight, gap wise, on the rebuild so I'm wondering what I'll find when I lift the cover off. Drove well enough on the way home, well no different to when I left in the morning at least.
The only "used" parts on the build were the chain tensioner which isn't that old anyway and the vvt hub and sprocket. Everything else is brand new, doesn't mean it can't fail obviously just for information.

jonbill

You could hope you didn't do the cam caps up properly and find them loose :)

Call the midlife!

Quote from: jonbill on April  8, 2019, 08:09
It's funny you should say that, it's on my list of wonderings already, although they were brand new Toyota screws and done up to spec. But you never know, especially as I made the head up all saucy like before realising I couldn't fit it to the block with the cams in...

jonbill

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April  8, 2019, 08:48
It's funny you should say that, it's on my list of wonderings already, although they were brand new Toyota screws and done up to spec. But you never know, especially as I made the head up all saucy like before realising I couldn't fit it to the block with the cams in...

I have my fingers crossed for you

jvanzyl

Based on recent experience..... if it is technically allowable I'd be putting thread locker on everything!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: jonbill on April  8, 2019, 08:59
Quote from: Call the midlife! on April  8, 2019, 08:48

I have my fingers crossed for you
Cheers, it'll be whatever it'll be and I'll just have to deal with it. Depending on what the problem may or may not be it might be time to admit my feet aren't touching the bottom anymore and let someone else have a look at it.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: jvanzyl on April  8, 2019, 09:01
Based on recent experience..... if it is technically allowable I'd be putting thread locker on everything!
Yup. I did on the majority of stuff but the cam caps are stretch so you'd imagine they'd stay put.
The tired, hacked off part of me says ignore it until the weekend but the wanting to know and move forward part of me wants to pull the covers off tonight and stick it's nose in!

Carolyn

You're really going to hate me!

Did it go on the dyno with mineral oil in the engine?

The 'progressive' bit says rod bearing to me.

Stop driving it until you find the problem.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on April  8, 2019, 09:49
You're really going to hate me!

Did it go on the dyno with mineral oil in the engine?

The 'progressive' bit says rod bearing to me.

Stop driving it until you find the problem.
Could never hate anyone trying to help.
But yes to the dyno with mineral oil,  plus one on my own thoughts about a spun bearing and don't worry it's going nowhere until it's sorted.
I was under it on Wednesday while it was running on the 4 post lift and I couldn't decide if the bottom end sounded a bit ticky or if it was just the acoustics in the workshop.

jonbill

Ooer. When I listened on the phone I thought very valvy, but, listening on the TV there is a bit of a knock too.
B*gger.

Carolyn

If it's a spun bearing, chances are the crank is fine.  Clean the pan out thoroughly, very fine wet&dry to take any white metal pick-up off the crank and a new set of shells. 

Could be worserer!! :)

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on April  8, 2019, 10:38
If it's a spun bearing, chances are the crank is fine.  Clean the pan out thoroughly, very fine wet&dry to take any white metal pick-up off the crank and a new set of shells. 

Could be worserer!! :)
That it could, another new set of shells won't break the bank, just wondering whether it's doable in situ or needs to come out again to do it properly?
I think I already know the answer to that one, I'll be turning up to cars in the park in the Mondeo [emoji23]

Carolyn

Definitely an in-car job.  Drop the pan, work from underneath. 

Done it myself!

I'll talk you through it if you need help. 

(I'd drop the pan, just to find out for sure.)

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on April  8, 2019, 10:56
Definitely an in-car job.  Drop the pan, work from underneath. 

Done it myself!

I'll talk you through it if you need help. 

(I'd drop the pan, just to find out for sure.)
It was the polishing of the crank that I was trying to get my head around doing on the car. On the bench I did it with a strip of paper and a shoelace so just trying to imagineer doing it in situ with my sausage fingers. Probably a job for the apprentice.
I've seen a video of the shells being replaced from underneath so I know what we're up against but at least it's less hassle than taking the lump out again.
I'll definitely be giving you a shout if we get stuck though, always appreciated.
Need to source a replacement IACV too and swap that out, go back to standard injectors and standard ECU for a while before going back to finish the dyno work off.

jonbill

I've got a spare iacv in the garage I think.
But... I didn't think your problem sounded like iacv. Weren't the symptoms severe hunting when warmed up?

Call the midlife!

Quote from: jonbill on April  8, 2019, 13:08
I've got a spare iacv in the garage I think.
But... I didn't think your problem sounded like iacv. Weren't the symptoms sever hunting when warmed up?
The valve was seized up when I checked it, once I'd freed it up and refitted it the idle was as good as you'd expect with the cams but by the time I got it to the dyno it was doing it again so need to swap it to get it tuned again as it's currently mapped out of the loop, best he could do really at the time.

Call the midlife!

Well we had a look at the typewriter this evening for the first time since the weekend, both agreed it was definitely a tick from the top rather than a knock from the bottom.
So off with the cam cover and in with the gauges and found an intake gap of 0.65, yup, had to check it 30 times before we believed it.
A couple of others were a bit off too but not that much, once we got the cams out and pulled the bucket it was easy to see why the massive gap. The bucket was dished in, could probably play a nice bit of steel drum on it if I had the sticks..[emoji23]
Not really sure why it happened, there was an assembly incident when I lifted the cams out to fit the head to the cylinder and pulled some buckets out at the same time as they were stuck to the assembly paste but I was confident I'd got them back in the right holes.
It's one of the recycled buckets and the inner does look a bit more tired than the others so maybe was just not up to the extra stress?
Either way we're relieved it's not a spun shell but also hoping it's not a bound spring or something but it does explain a lot, regardless.

jvanzyl

Good to hear that you've found the source of the sound!
Who's got the bucket bank currently??

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Call the midlife!

I've an idea but I need to measure all mine again and see what I need yet, I only binned my original paperwork on Sunday too while having a sulky tidy up in the garage.
I'll have to have a think and some trial and error with the mullered one though. I'm going to have to put them back together with something I'm assuming is the right size and then measure it and make any adjustments again, can't really use 0.65 as a starting point [emoji23]

jonbill

That's very odd. Just one valve? The shims should be very hard, so not really compressible. I can't remember, do these cams oil through holes in the lobes? Maybe  that lobe's hole is blocked and not oiled properly and its worn a trough in that shim.  Does the lobe look OK? Have you got calipers and can you measure it and compare with others?
TBH I don't think you should be quick to just write it off as a dodgy shim.

Call the midlife!

Nope, no different to standard cams as far as oiling goes and everything was nicely lubed up with plenty of oil on every surface.
One other was well off gap wise with 0.20 when it should've been 0.15 but no obvious damage showing anywhere.
I'm not attributing it to a tired, old shim just putting it on the table as a possibility to see who picks it up.
The other possibility is that the gap was too big from the start and it's been hammering away at it against the dual springs, it's a very even effect so it's been revolving as it should.

Tags: