Ticky ticky...

Started by Call the midlife!, April 7, 2019, 20:35

Carolyn

Patrick has the bucket bank.

Let him know what you need, I'm sure he'll send them pronto

Glad to hear it wasn't bottom end :)
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on April 11, 2019, 06:22

Thought he might, we were quite relieved too![emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

I will send indeed! Need to make a trip to thr posties anyway.
Let me know
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on April 11, 2019, 08:09

I will send indeed! Need to make a trip to thr posties anyway.
Let me know
I'll see if I can get them measured up tonight but I've got a long day of concrete trials in the lab today so my brain might be fried. [emoji23]

Call the midlife!

Not the easiest to illustrate the effect by photo but you can more or less see. There's around 1.15mm of thickness missing from what a  number 30 should be.

Carolyn

That's been absolutely hammered by the cam.  Has it been hanging up in the head?  Check for any burrs in its socket that might stop it sliding properly.

These buckets are very hard, I do hope the cam lobe is not damaged.

You need to figure out how this happened, 'cos just putting another bucket in might not be the best idea.  Or the valve has been sticking... or something..... 

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on April 11, 2019, 20:28
That's been absolutely hammered by the cam.  Has it been hanging up in the head?  Check for any burrs in its socket that might stop it sliding properly.

These buckets are very hard, I do hope the cam lobe is not damaged.

You need to figure out how this happened, 'cos just putting another bucket in might not be the best idea.  Or the valve has been sticking... or something.....
All agreed, lobes look fine, no obvious damage and measures the same as the rest as well as I can measure with some digital calipers.
I'm starting to think the head might have to come off to give it a proper coat of looking at..

Carolyn

Don't take the head off yet......

Call the midlife!

Don't worry, I'll not even be going in the garage again until Saturday unless I really have to..[emoji1303]

Carolyn

I'll give it some thought.  Something has been hanging up.

Carolyn

I'd put another bucket in, replace the cams and watch it carefully as the engine is being turned by hand.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on April 11, 2019, 20:50
I'll give it some thought.  Something has been hanging up.
Appreciate that, I wondered if I'd maybe fouled it somehow with the big adjustable when nipping everything up but it's intake 3 and nowhere near the hex moulding.
It popped straight up to the magnet last night when taking it out and it's only a small, extending pick up tool I use nothing particularly strong.
No obvious sign of damage to anything other than the bucket and it ran fine all the way home.
No signs of swarf or chunks in any of the galleries or component parts.

jonbill

I cant help thinking it's running dry and the cam has worn the bucket. But maybe that's not possible. I can't remember how the oiling works.
Is it double spring? Outer spring broken?

Call the midlife!

Quote from: jonbill on April 11, 2019, 21:07
I cant help thinking it's running dry and the cam has worn the bucket. But maybe that's not possible. I can't remember how the oiling works.
Is it double spring? Outer spring broken?
I'm 99% sure it's not an oiling issue, everything was wetter than an otter's pocket when we took the top off after a very brief idle just to let H hear it in the flesh.
They're dual springs but nothing seems amiss, the inner springs are relatively soft and I could move them with thumb pressure but not as a pair. Although obviously they're still held to the valve at the moment so whether you'd be able to tell without taking them out is debatable and I'm not equipped to do that with the head in place at the moment.

Carolyn

The cam has the oil-way, holes in the journals lubricate the bearing.  The buckets are just splash from that.

Just check that it all operates smoothly first.  You can tell by watching how the valve behaves in comparison to its buddy nect door.

Being able to tell without taking the springs out is not 'debatable'.  Just observe.

Something has not moved smoothly as it should.

that bucket damage is the result of the bucket not going all the way down. Either the bucket has cocked in its socket or something is preventing the valve from opening all the way.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on April 11, 2019, 21:23
The cam has the oil-way, holes in the journals lubricate the bearing.  The buckets are just splash from that.

Just check that it all operates smoothly first.  You can tell by watching how the valve behaves in comparison to its buddy nect door.

Being able to tell without taking the springs out is not 'debatable'.  Just observe.

Something has not moved smoothly as it should.

that bucket damage is the result of the bucket not going all the way down. Either the bucket has cocked in its socket or something is preventing the valve from opening all the way.
All received and understood. Broken spring wise I meant debatable in the sense I'd be surprised if you could move them at all in situ even if one was broken, there's not really anywhere for it to go.
Just as additional, background information the tuner was disappointed with the curves as no 2 runs were the same. 6 back to back runs at the end of the session and nothing like the "rainbow" effect you would want to see.
On the day we put it down to a probably dodgy, second hand injector not giving consistency in the fuelling but looking at the problem now I guess it's possible the valve wasn't operating properly on the day and giving the variance rather than an injector.

Call the midlife!

Given the springs and valve stem etc a coat of looking at and all's good there, bucket spins and moves up and down freely in the hole so all I can put it down to is carelessness/laziness after possibly mixing the buckets up when fitting the head to the block.
Now to light the fuse and stand well back![emoji38]

Carolyn

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 17, 2019, 21:10

Given the springs and valve stem etc a coat of looking at and all's good there, bucket spins and moves up and down freely in the hole so all I can put it down to is carelessness/laziness after possibly mixing the buckets up when fitting the head to the block.

i see you used the magic tool!  Did the valve move freely in the guide?  I would have dropped the piston an inch and checked with a magnet on top of the stem......

Anyway, fingers crossed!! :D

shnazzle

What's the bit of string for?
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on April 18, 2019, 08:50
Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 17, 2019, 21:10

i see you used the magic tool!  Did the valve move freely in the guide?  I would have dropped the piston an inch and checked with a magnet on top of the stem......

Anyway, fingers crossed!! :D
It's a very magic tool! "Wow that's a contraption" was H's reply when I sent him a pic of it in use..
As it happened I probably started with the piston too low as I couldn't get the string to feed in nearer the top so I had more or less the springs compression depth of valve movement to play with. Moved nice and free through rotation and up and down, although I know what you're saying about letting it go further in but knowing my luck I'd lose it altogether![emoji23]

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on April 18, 2019, 08:57
It's magic...
Feed the string in through the plughole, bring the piston up against the string, valve stays put with the string underneath it and you don't lose it into the cylinder.
Takes a bit of trial and error and a small leap of faith but does the trick.
Thanks go to Carolyn for everything related to this particular part of the process..[emoji1303]

Carolyn

Please post the pick of the spring compressor in use... I just want to see it in all it's Heath Robinson glory!!

Joesson

I thought it was the aforementioned "Fuse"

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Joesson on April 18, 2019, 09:25

I thought it was the aforementioned "Fuse"
That's what made me use that particular play on words, just looked very "mission impossible" at the time.

Call the midlife!

Carolyn's valve spring compressor in use...

Tags: